Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phoria

Hammertime

Another issue that may be contributing to this that is not often discussed: Absolute co-witness iron sights.
    If your iron sights are covering up a portion of the dot when your non-dominant eye is closed, there are certain angles in which, with both eyes open, the post will cover up the target as seen on presentation. As a result you will be shooting at a vision of the target that is produced by your non-dominant eye.

Reviving this thread because it seemed like the closest to the issue I am having.

I had strabismus in childhood and had surgery on both eyes twice to correct this. I am also nearsighted in both eyes, worse in the right, but at least 20/20 in each eye with corrective lenses. Due to surgical correction, I can align my eyes correctly when I am looking at something, but when I am tired I may exhibit intermittent exotropia, where my right eye starts to point outwards. My right eye also exhibits exophoria, where if I have the red dot or even iron sights in front of my face, the binocular vision is disrupted and my right eye will wander outward. The end sight picture that I have is basically like the picture I have attached. The right eye's image will not merge correctly and will appear to the left of the left eye's image. I have tried occluded aiming and various techniques to practice merging the images together, but that will not realistically happen due to my eye issues. The end result is that I have to look through the window of the optic with my left eye and try to ignore the input from the right eye for aiming (although I can still get some useful background information from it).

This is not just with a pistol optic, but also with a red dot or ACOG on a rifle, except I am forced to use my right eye and try to ignore the unmerged image from the left eye. With a long gun, I tend to prefer an optic with a larger window like an EOTech and do not like using an Aimpoint Micro.

Does anyone else have a similar issue? I am guessing that I will not be able to achieve the same speed with a dot that someone who can fully target focus can. I am starting to question whether the benefits of using a dot are limited to the point where I should be using irons again. Luckily for me, the majority of my shooting is now without any time pressure.

Name:  double vision.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  20.0 KBx

User Tag List