Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you were only buying one can (for now)

The Liberty Cosmic 45 looks like a good choice for a do-everything can. Unlike the Obsidian 45 it is rated for supersonic .300BO.

Some of those liberty cans look pretty good too. I went with the obsidian for a couple reasons, most of all it comes with the piston and spring for a 45 handgun and it looked like the liberty ones come with a different thread and no spring unless you buy one of thier kits. Also it is what my local pusher had in stock and did all the paperwork for free so it came out to be cheaper than I could find online. Even with the HB PF discount plus the $50 to do the paperwork and transfer locally. I do still need a few items though so I'm sure HB will get some of my $$. I felt more comfortable with a little in person guidence on my first NFA purchase.

After dipping my toes in the suppressor world, I've concluded pistol cans are mostly useless. I read that on here and didn't listen. Oh well. They are too long and heavy to be useful for anything other than range toys, and they are a bitch to clean.

In terms of practical advice, if you want a pistol can, get one that doesn't have any aluminum parts. Then you can throw the whole thing in a sonic cleaner instead of trying to get lead and carbon off a bunch of baffles with a toothbrush.

But if I was only getting one can, it would be one capable of firing rifle rounds. Firing a rifle round through a suppressor cleans it; this is why you don't need to clean rifle cans as much or at all and many are sealed designs. A Liberty or other .46 can would be appealing. Shoot 9mm through it, then a few rounds of 5.56 to clean it.

Plus, rifle cans are just way more useful. You can leave them on the gun all the time and none of the practical uses of the gun are compromised. Not so with a pistol can where every practical use of the gun is compromised (if you can have a gun that is 18" long you are really close to being able to use a long arm, which is always superior when size and weight aren't concerns). So when you come to the same conclusion I did, you still have a rifle can
    Join FPC

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Your reasoning is solid. I don't know anything about your choice of can, but when I entered the market a decade ago rimfire stuff was its own world. My cans are still divided centerfire/rimfire, and never cross the streams. Rimfire shoots much dirtier, and if your can is sealed, there is a problem. Not sure stuffing a .22 RF through a 9mm (40ish hole) would be very effective. But hey, 25 years of marriage last month tells me I can be wrong about simple things...Very, very wrong.

pat
    I've shot .22 through my .45 can and its very very quiet. I don't have a good frame of reference for a dedicated .22 can, but suppressor is still way better than no suppressor.
    Join FPC

I currently own a Mystic X and it is my only can. Doing it over again, I’m split on whether I would have bought it. I shoot 70% 9mm, 20% 223, and 10% everything else (22, 308, 38 special). Personally speaking I’d rather have that suppression dedicated to a rifle even though I shoot it less than a pistol.

A can on a pistol greatly changes how I use it, as in how I holster it (Bubba rigged Blackhawk omnivore), the recoil impulse, point of impact shift, and feel. A rifle can doesn’t greatly greatly change how I handle the firearm, other than being aware of the heat of the can when slinging the rifle.

The mystic x is a great pistol can and a so-so rifle can. On a pistol, it is very quiet with subs, doesn’t have a lot of blowback, and is very enjoyable. On a rifle, it is longer than competitors, offers ok suppression, heats up at a faster rate than a dedicated rifle can, and has less gas blowback than many rifle cans.

And on cost, I’m almost at the cost of two cans because of the need to buy a booster assembly, piston, and thread adapters to fit my ARs, 9mm pistols, and 22s.

Doing it over, I think I’d buy a less expensive 9mm can that could be used on 22 or just a 22 can, while purchasing a rifle can on the lower end of the price spectrum at the same time. Liberty, yhm, and a few others make good low cost cans in all those product categories.

YMMV

Man, I knew this would happen. Although I'm SUPER excited to get my hands on my new obsidian y'all already have me wanting to throw another $1k down on something I can put 300 supers and 556 through too, and it's only been a week. WTF!!??

I just had to drop $1500 because I told my son if he got a bear this year I would have a rug done for him or I would probably have 2 cans in jail at the same time. I guess I still might, I think the post buy anticipation is going to make me go crazy and buy MORE COOL STUFF.

I am close to the 6 month mark for my Omega 36M. I am planning on using it for 300 BO and .357 mostly.

I just bought an Omega 36M yesterday due to its versatility. It will primarily live on my AR (with a .22 front cap) but can be used on other rifles as well. I like that I can use it in its long or short version, on a pistol, bolt gun, whatever. Now begins the long waiting game.

User Tag List