Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you were only buying one can (for now)

If you were only buying one can (for now)

I'm pretty sure I'm leaning towards the rugged obsidian 45 for my first can, all reviews look good and pretty affordable. I want to be able to put it on my FNX 45T, 300 black AR, AR9 and might even throw it on one of the 22s. I have found the end of the internet on my search and think it's time to get this shit started, really should have done it long ago. Is there a better option out there these days? I know the real pros here will tell me to get a dedicated one for each caliber and maybe in the future I will and this will be my 45 pistol can but for now I can only drop coin for one. Might do a form 1 22 just for fun while I'm waiting. I have gained much info here over the years from many of you so let me hear what you think even, no especially, if you think it's a poor choice.
    Thanks as always D

Timely post. I just ordered my first suppressor, an Obsidian 9. I went with the 9 over the 45 only because I don’t own a .45. The Obsidian seems to bring a number of options to the table that would work nicely as a first suppressor at a decent price. I will still use ear pro so decibel reduction wasn’t my first priority.

In my case it will be used with direct-thread pistols and a tri-lug MP5 clone.

Site Supporter
    Your reasoning is solid. I don't know anything about your choice of can, but when I entered the market a decade ago rimfire stuff was its own world. My cans are still divided centerfire/rimfire, and never cross the streams. Rimfire shoots much dirtier, and if your can is sealed, there is a problem. Not sure stuffing a .22 RF through a 9mm (40ish hole) would be very effective. But hey, 25 years of marriage last month tells me I can be wrong about simple things...Very, very wrong.

pat

Consider the liberty Infiniti X, if your good with just a 9mm bore... but with a can that works up through Win Mag pressures on a rifle. My recently purchased infinity is my 6th or 7th can. Had this can existed when I started down the NFA rabbit hole, it would’ve been my first can.

I have zero cans so take that into consideration, but I’m almost always disappointed by a “do-all” something. I would just buy the one for the platform you’d use the most and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally get the philosophy of "jack of all trades = master of none". I would say 80% of my shooting is 45 and I have a pretty good stock of it, but want something that is easy to swap to the 9 and 300 just because. If 300 was a little cheaper and more available I would probably go for a 300 rifle can first but that is sadly not the case. The pistons and front caps seem to be around for the obsidian so that was a little bit of a deciding factor.

Well........I couldn't wait any longer to start waiting. Bought the obsidian 45 in FDE !!! Now to try and forget about it

Timely for me, too. I’m in the middle of moving to a NFA-friendly state (FOAD, Illinois) and would like to look at two suppressors - a dedicated .22 one, and a multipurpose one that will be used with a variety of calibers but primarily 9mm. So much to learn...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I love my Obsidian .45.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I love my Obsidian .45.
    That's good to hear!! Do you use it on 9 or 300? If so do you use the 9-30 end cap or run as is?

I already ordered the piston with propper threads but not the cap yet.

User Tag List