Thread: Pecos Run n' Gun 2020

Pecos Run n' Gun 2020

This past weekend found the wife and I in lovely Pecos, Texas for the 19th annual running of the Pecos Run n’ Gun in the Sun. For all you die-hard RnGners, Pecos is the one event that has got to be on your bucket list. It's the original event that started all this. Smokey, Larry and their fellow organizers started the concept of a center-fire biathlon, developed the format, the scoring system and organized the first event in 2001. For these reasons, the event has taken on a special meaning to RnGners. It’s sort of like the Mecca for our sport. I know there are many other tough events out there, and I’ve done most of them, but there’s nothing to compare to the desert, dust and heat of the West Texas Chihuahuan desert.

The event itself is located North of Toyah, Texas about 18 miles Southwest of Pecos. The organizers recommend meeting at the Valero gas station there in Toyah on the morning of the event and convoying to the HQ of the Anchor T ranch. By map only about 12 miles or so, but that 12 miles will take you about 45 minutes to drive. After exiting off what amounts to a decent gravel road, the route takes you on a rough and bumpy ride for an additional 5 miles (its still a county road, but apparently rarely maintained). Upon arrival you can see the windmill and the remnants of a barn that mark the headquarters of the RnG and the start/finish line. The event was back at the Anchor T Ranch this year. For a couple years the event was moved to another location, but was back at the Anchor T where it all started for this year.

There is no electricity and any power needed must be brought in or recharged by solar panels. As you arrive, you can see the encampments of the RO’s, who ran the event the day before. Like most of these events, you gathered for a briefing and shortly thereafter the run order is established, the RO’s take off for their respective stages and the first competitor is sent out.
    The safety briefing was about 2 lines long. Competitors moved with hot (loaded) pistols, rifles weren’t loaded until directed to be so by the RO, rifles were cleared empty before leaving a stage and you didn’t point your guns at anything you shouldn’t be pointing your guns at. Guns were placed on safe prior to moving on a stage; there was no 180 rule and rifles were loaded at the conclusion of the stage briefing (not on the shoot clock). As far as I know there weren’t any safety incidents.

The stages for this year’s event weren’t particularly complicated nor was the round count very high by today’s standard. I think I shot 28 pistol rounds and 45 rifle rounds on the 6 stages. I’m not exactly sure of the final round count, but it was consistent with the ideals established by the organizers for RnG events. I hate to see this sport turned in to something like 3 gun where the rules rule and ultra high round counts are the standard.

The real test of the Pecos RnG is the terrain. The desert is not kind to running and runners. This year we were fortunate to have somewhat of a cool front move in a few days before. Upon arrival just before sunrise, the temp was in the mid 50’s, while during the afternoon, it was hovering in the high 80’s. Not like past years where highs in the 100’s were the norm.
    My GPS showed 6.65 miles. I heard others say as far at 6.9 miles, but in any event, this was far beyond my comfort level. The sticker bushes forced you to pay attention to your route as dodging the bushes was your only way to prevent some nasty scratches and impalements. Nick decided to wear shorts and he paid for it. His legs looked like he got in a fight with a pissed off tom cat and the cat won!

Distances were very deceiving as in some cases you could see the next stage from the one you just shot, but that stage might be 1.5 miles away! The real test was the trek between stages 4 and 5. It was around 2 miles between them and that distance just sucked the life right out of your soul! I was doing pretty good until about mile # 5 and it was a real gut check from there on. One veteran of Pecos described that part of the trail as almost post apocalyptic as you’re picking your way around the sticker bushes and there is not a single other human in sight.
    The Oklahoma group was well represented with Nick Brim taking 2nd, Al Cockrell taking 6th, I was 11th and Daniel and Russ were both in the top 25%. The organizers hand out really nice trophies down to 6th place and a coin to the top 25% placers. And, to top that off, they give a plaque to the “Old Salt”, the oldest competitor. I missed that one by only a few months!
    I was fortunate to get drawn for one of the prize bags sponsored by KNS; which contained a nice hat, a T shirt and some very nice parts from KNS inventory. If you really want to experience the Pecos RnG, you should camp out at the event HQ and experience the salt, wind, crustiness and dust of the desert, or, you could just stay at the Hampton Inn in Pecos like we did. I’ve “camped out” enough, so the wife and I opted for the Hampton.

Next year is the 20th anniversary and rumor has it that there will be some special things happening. So, mark your calendars now and get ready to make that trek to Pecos for the Mecca of all RnGs.

Name:  IMG_2878.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  63.6 KB

Name:  20200918_161415.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  79.8 KB

Name:  received_387942149039596.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  91.8 KB

Now that I'm no longer in Houston, I haven't been making the one in OK, which I do miss. I'll have to keep my eye out on this one, since I never made it when I was back in TX.

Are there no divisions? Website doesn't seem to show any.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Now that I'm no longer in Houston, I haven't been making the one in OK, which I do miss. I'll have to keep my eye out on this one, since I never made it when I was back in TX.

Are there no divisions? Website doesn't seem to show any.

Nope, Default, no divisions, no classes. Everyone competes against everyone else.

By the way, most Run n' Guns have no divisions or classes. Divisions or classes go against the premise of Run n' Guns.

Gonna miss you in Pawnee.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick710 View Post
    Nope, Default, no divisions, no classes. Everyone competes against everyone else.

By the way, most Run n' Guns have no divisions or classes. Divisions or classes go against the premise of Run n' Guns.

When is the Oklahoma match usually?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Nick710 View Post

Fair enough, I was just used to Pawnee having something set aside for the armor division. I will have to think on if I want to be a masochist and run it with plates/helmet anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    When is the Oklahoma match usually?
    They usually have one in the summer and in the winter. They also have been doing one dedicated to low-light that happens in the fall, I that one happened a few weeks back.

The Oklahoma Run n' Gun is conducted twice per year. Once in January and once in July. You can check out the website for the dates www.okrunngun.com. The January event will be held on January 30, I think.

Default, you are correct in that some RnG's have an Armor division and I forgot about that.

The Twilight RnG is put on by different folks, but held at the same venue. It's ran at night and there is a night vision division and a white light division. Its coming up on October 23-24.

Most all the events are posted on the RnG discussion page on Facebook.

User Tag List