Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Tamara's Ruger P89 review - Like a 9mm Mullet

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    My old department issued those after the switch from revolvers. Kept them for about 10 years before switching to H&K’s. It was before my time, but I’ve heard a ton of stories about problems with them.
    JCPD?

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    JCPD?
    Yep.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Also, I literally LOL'ed at "lifetime".

I had an optics company engineer look me in the eye and tell me how optimistic he was about the durability of a red dot sight because they had examples having gone over a thousand rounds with no issues.

Engineers in this industry are just...man. The more of 'em you meet, the more you wonder how much anyone who actually shoots has input into this stuff.
    Don’t most of them live in countries that virtually ban civilian possession of firearms and even they are among the “anointed few”, 1000 rounds would be a lifetime of shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    When things calm down I'd like to get a stainless P90DC. I got a good price on a P97DC a few years ago to go with my P95DC. I had a P345 but that gun definitely wasn't as well executed as the rest of the series.
    I'm interested in hearing more about the pros and cons of the P345 versus the P97. Since I sold my P90, prices have gone up, while P97s and P345s are still somewhat reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Don’t most of them live in countries that virtually ban civilian possession of firearms and even they are among the “anointed few”, 1000 rounds would be a lifetime of shooting?

Not in Germany or Austria.

They aren't exactly Indiana when it comes to gun ownership, but you can get them if you want them.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Engineers are engineers no matter the field, and all are susceptible to being stung by the Good Idea Fairy.

Needless complications, useless useful features, kewlness over functionality, looks over ergonomics, fidelity to obsolescent requirements, concepts that worked better on paper, and so on are pretty common across the design front.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    I'm interested in hearing more about the pros and cons of the P345 versus the P97. Since I sold my P90, prices have gone up, while P97s and P345s are still somewhat reasonable.
    The P345 is probably the best looking P series that Ruger produced.
    There was something about a mag disconenct that would damage the firing pin when dry firing without a mag installed.
    A fair number of owners would "clean" the rear sight, which would remove the disconnect parts.
    Other then that I'm not aware of any problems with it.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=286429

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    The P345 is a little slimmer and can be had with an accessory rail and also has a much better grip texture. But it has a magazine disconnect which can break and that is not a rare occurrence. It also has an internal lock. I don't recall ever hearing about that breaking but if you're like me you just despise the thought. Both guns use roughly the same internal design so they use the same hammer springs and magazines.

I think both guns can also be had as decock-only (the DC suffix) but the P345DC is very uncommon. If I ever come across one I might pick it up because I did like the gun for the most part but I didn't like all the lawyer features.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

This is pretty neat. Ruger is auctioning off a P94DC with built in laser with the proceeds going to the Scholastic Action Shooting Program. Current high bid is $800.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/87968...odal-view-item
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Not in Germany or Austria.

They aren't exactly Indiana when it comes to gun ownership, but you can get them if you want them.
    Nor Sweden. Didn't aimpoint run an ACRO through 20,000 rounds of .40 ?

User Tag List