Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tamara's Ruger P89 review - Like a 9mm Mullet

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    If you had bought a bunch of semiautos from the LGS/range I went to as a kid, and held on to them until now, you would have lost somewhere around 80% of your investment.
    Yeah but who needs money when you have a milk crate full of cool 80's pistols?
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Ruger P 90

So a few years back I read where Ruger was discontinuing their Ruger P-90 45acp. So I bought one from Bud's. It was stainless with a safety/decocker. Never wanted one until I read production was ceasing. Heck of a reason for buying a new firearm. It was cheap enough.

The DA trigger pull is heavy. The SA trigger pull has a bit of creep before the hammer drops. The front sight has very little light on either side. Personally I like more light than these sights afford. I really miss front and rear checkering on the grip frame. But it has been 100% with all bullet types. The barrel has a swing link just like the 1911. Having said all this, if the pistol was destroyed by a lightning strike, I wouldn't lose any sleep.

About 3 months ago I called Ruger customer service to see if they still stocked the magazine release spring. I have read that they can be a problem with breakage. The helpful lady asked for the serial number and sent me the spring at no charge. Kudos for that.

I can see maybe why Ruger discontinued the P-series with the polymer revolution in full swing. It is hard for a metal pistol to compete in price with the polymer ones. Glad I purchased one though.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    It was before my time, but I’ve heard a ton of stories about problems with them.
    I've heard a ton of stories about problems with everything.

I certainly trust cop stories about guns, though!
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    The other thing of interest in her article is that Tam said the price for the pistol was 11 ounces of silver. At today's spot price of $23/ounce the silver would be worth $253 while a P89 today is going for over $400 on GunBroker. There may be something to using guns as a hedge after all? Though I suspect Tam has way way better connections than I do.
    There's a long lead time in articles written for print publications. The prices of pistols and silver have fluctuated wildly since that pistol was sent to me and I mailed the silver to the seller.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I've heard a ton of stories about problems with everything.

I certainly trust cop stories about guns, though!
    Probably about as much as I trust articles from gun writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I saw a photo of a Ruger P series barrel that looked to have a casting seam.

Can anyone confirm if they machined the barrels out of a casting?
    The barrels are not cast, to the best of my knowledge.

When things calm down I'd like to get a stainless P90DC. I got a good price on a P97DC a few years ago to go with my P95DC. I had a P345 but that gun definitely wasn't as well executed as the rest of the series.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Probably about as much as I trust articles from gun writers.
    Literally LOL'ed.

I wouldn't trust gunwriters. They can't shoot and they don't train.

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    So a few years back I read where Ruger was discontinuing their Ruger P-90 45acp. So I bought one from Bud's. It was stainless with a safety/decocker. Never wanted one until I read production was ceasing. Heck of a reason for buying a new firearm. It was cheap enough.

The DA trigger pull is heavy. The SA trigger pull has a bit of creep before the hammer drops. The front sight has very little light on either side. Personally I like more light than these sights afford. I really miss front and rear checkering on the grip frame. But it has been 100% with all bullet types. The barrel has a swing link just like the 1911. Having said all this, if the pistol was destroyed by a lightning strike, I wouldn't lose any sleep.

About 3 months ago I called Ruger customer service to see if they still stocked the magazine release spring. I have read that they can be a problem with breakage. The helpful lady asked for the serial number and sent me the spring at no charge. Kudos for that.

I can see maybe why Ruger discontinued the P-series with the polymer revolution in full swing. It is hard for a metal pistol to compete in price with the polymer ones. Glad I purchased one though.
    Good move on the spring. I had that problem with my P90 that I purchased back in '99 or so mainly due to writings from Mas. It's the only issue I've ever had with it.

It probably hasn't been shot in at least 10 years. Thanks to this trip down memory lane, I think it will go with on the next trip to the range.

Nothing else to say that hasn't already been said above.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post

The only one of these I've ever actually shot was a P90. All I can really remember was that it was a super accurate gun, it seemed a little bit awkward, but that was like 25 years ago, so I couldn't say one way or another besides that.

User Tag List