Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92D w/ 92X Grip

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Informative, thank you.

And everyone else who chimed in. I have a spare trigger bar and d hammer here so I'll swap them and see what happens.

Dropped in a different d hammer and trigger bar. Resets and catches without the side. Whether it makes a practical difference or not, i am at ease

Site Supporter
    I bought one of these pistols (new) off Gunbroker a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't had time to shoot it yet. Last night the front sight fell off. I looked closely when I got the gun to make sure the sight was not crooked, and all I noticed was that it needed tapping a little to the left to center it--not a big deal to fix that problem. However, last night I realized that the sight had become centered by itself, and then when I touched it fell out. It's ridiculously loose. I'm embarrassed it took me this long to find the problem.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Dropped in a different d hammer and trigger bar. Resets and catches without the side. Whether it makes a practical difference or not, i am at ease

I am glad you got it going. When you mess around w/ the trigger system w/ grips removed it is surprising to see how tiny the clearance is between the DA hammer hooks and the part of the trigger bar that engages them.

It ran well today with no short stroking issues.

I ran a bill in 2.85 clean, and while not fast, it was me working the trigger as fast as i can.

Ran The Test with a halved par to see if i short stroked and no issues cropped up, other than going over par and turtling/an odd lean i tend toward when pushing. .

Glad i had the parts to swap, for nothing other than peace of mind if no actual difference in performance.

In the beginning I wanted a D gun to see how hard i could run it compared to striker guns or DA/SA guns on a performance basis. Initially I assumed that they were going to be slower but realized, and vocalized to those I shoot with, that while I can't hit absolute performance(sub .20 splits as an example), that for most metrics I've been able to hit most standards that I can with any other platform.

While I say that, my friend pointed out today that I must not really believe it in my head. He said something along the lines of "you say you can hit most standards but always act impressed when you do it, like you're using it as a crutch in case you fall short" which made me stop and think and I believe he's right. Despite the small amount of data, I tend to accept a sub standard performance and chalk it up to "pretty good for dao" that i would otherwise not want to accept and on the other side of the coin, I get more impressed than I other wise would when I meet a tough standard. (I don't believe it's good or bad per se because I'm still performing well, just that my expectations are altered as compared to other gun types).

Case in point -

Today at the end of my centerfire session, I had 10 rounds left and because we already had a 5 target array setup, I decided that I wanted to go for a modified triple nickel run. I always enjoyed the drill and needed something fast for a change of pace.

The targets were old shot up uspsa targets, so I just put up some b8's and decided to use the whole paper as a scoring zone. I did not have any confidence that I could split/transition the gun fast enough nor slide lock reload quickly enough to meet the 5 second standard but I still wanted to try. Due to my lack of confidence I didn't have him record it and wasn't recording anything other than a few pictures to update my range log anyway.

What I assumed would be a big ball of suck and fail actually ended up being the best run of triple nickel(pseudo) I have run to date. The closest splits to transitions I've ever had
    combined with probably my best slide lock reload ever (1.54 concealed!) ended up with 10 clean hits in 4.82. It was a triumphant feeling albeit a bit bittersweet because I wish I had recorded it! My friend was absolutely right though, as if it had been any other gun I would simply have wrote it off as a cool accomplishment (the triple nickel isn't easy per se but I've done it before) but I was absolutely elated to have accomplished it with a 92d/ltt rdo combo from a phlster floodlight/enigma. So while I continually find out what can be done with a dao gun(most standards it seems) I will probably continue to be impressed with otherwise average performances as I'm not sure I can get over the crutch in my head.

"...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

I forget what it’s called, but this is exactly the yoga principle of removing all expectation. With no internal “monkey chatter” in your head, you were able to perform at peak level. This is what Olympic level athletes strive for. With enough practice, it should become effortless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    I forget what it’s called, but this is exactly the yoga principle of removing all expectation. With no internal “monkey chatter” in your head, you were able to perform at peak level. This is what Olympic level athletes strive for. With enough practice, it should become effortless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have started listening and reading the mental management stuff from the Bassham's and Steve Anderson. Hopefully some of the principals are sticking though I'll admit I'm not readily applying the program too much.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

PF, you monsters, what have you done to me! First it started with LEM, it was good, and has now become 5x guns (self-propagating virus of incredible proportions!). Later on, picked up a P250 on a whim and also like it for what it is. Had a 92D Centurion in the past, before considering the "people management" angle. Now I'm back with a DXR, which I am quite liking. Various LTT, Wilson, and other mods incoming since I love doing that stuff myself.

Name:  pix438399275.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  41.9 KB

As I've been reacquainting myself with the Beretta 92 series, and the 92D in particular, I came across some details that seemed hard to find in any one place. I realize it's probably stating the obvious to most here, but I figured I'd post them in the event they help anyone else in the future. I was particularly curious how the 92D differs from the standard DA/SA models, and especially in terms of unique or missing parts. The best I've been able to determine, here are the parts differences:

Slide Parts the 92D Doesn't Have:
    - Trigger Bar Release Plunger
    - Trigger Bar Release Spring
    - Safety Lever (right side)
    - Firing Pin Plunger*
    - Safety Plunger
    - Safety Plunger Spring
    - Safety (left side)

*92D variants use a different firing pin that is directly driven by the hammer, as opposed to having the separate firing pin plunger of the DA/SA models. The 92D firing pin has a longer tail section to make up the difference of the DA/SA firing pin + firing pin plunger overall length.

Frame Parts the 92D Doesn't Have:
    - Hammer Release Lever*
    - Sear
    - Sear Spring
    - Sear Pin

*92D variants use a spacer bushing #UD99005 (that link was the best example I could find) in place of the hammer release lever. It appears these are unfortunately no longer available, so don't lose yours! They serve a purpose of keeping the firing pin catch lever from moving laterally due to the lack of a hammer release lever.

Overall, that's 10 fewer parts in the 92D variants versus typical DA/SA variants.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

I can't find it to post it of course, but I remember that Ernest has said that a 92D can get away w/ a 1# weaker hammer spring due to the one piece firing pin, or maybe more correctly, the lack of a firing pin plunger. I haven't reread this entire thread to check if this has been discussed but I run an 11# hammer spring in my SA/DA idpa M9A1 so I think 11# is definitely doable in a 92D. I have a slightly under 5# DA trigger pull so maybe 10# is worth trying.

User Tag List