Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92D w/ 92X Grip

Wore mine for 12 hours helping tear off and reshingle a roof. The only hotspot was the rear sight and where the light was packing into my thigh. I was using a phlster floodlight so no sight protection because of rds cut and it had a tlr1 attached.

Since i can't get this cut for the rdo I'll get something dedicated and with sight protection. But i have to say the slick beretta's carry well
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

I put 70 rounds through mine today. By the end, the trigger felt a little lighter than when I started. I found that when I throw a shot with this gun, it almost always goes high. I had very few low-left misses and a few good on elevation but a little left. I attempted the DOTW 10 Round Assault three times and ended up throwing five rounds into the face of the IDPA target the B8 was mounted on, most likely during the 25y portion but possibly also in the 15y. Here are two 25y B8 attempts showing the trend of sending misses high:
    Name:  069597B1-2F2A-4316-9402-73F31C72BCC3.jpg
Views: 1183
Size:  42.6 KB
    Name:  5857250E-67F6-412C-96E6-068642F7EA87.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  44.9 KB

I found that the left edge of the beaver tail digs into the base of my strong hand thumb while shooting slowly for accuracy. I don’t tend to feel it at all when shooting quickly or more dynamically. I shot the LTT alongside the 92D and was reminded how much I like the radiused beaver tail but I only noticed the difference during slow fire. I shot a 25y B8 all DA using the LTT and did much better than with the 92D. I believe it was the combination of the thinner FO front sight and the lighter DA pull from the TJIAB. Overall I enjoyed shooting the 92D. I’m looking forward to installing the Wilson trigger bar kit. My LTT has a 13# hammer spring and had no problems cracking the primers on 50 rounds of S&B ammo. That leaves me hopeful that the 92D will function with a 12# spring.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Hammertime
    92D Another 300+ rounds:

At the 25 line, 500 aggregate:
    Freestyle:93-2x,

Name:  7097C643-A909-47D9-A322-A642CFBE8667.jpg
Views: 1094
Size:  34.6 KB

5 in 20:70-1,
    5 in 10: 88,
    SHO: 81,
    WHO: 84

Total: 416-1 Good start but sub 90s for the timed and single handed portions does not a good score make. It hits right to sights when I do my job.

Advanced Supertest: 275, 275, 283. I am finishing the 5 yard portion from concealment in 4.7-4.8s now consistently and very consistent 0.3s splits.

Spent time SHO and WHO at 10 and 15 yards.

Put up a bigger IDPA target and did failure drills. So satisfying to go bang, bang, bang all about even splits, two body, one head. It is not the typical bang bang......bang I see with other guns. I like the 0.3s rhythm for some reason.

I had a few interesting malfunctions: One fail to Extract with 147 Blazer Brass. Looks like it got hung up on the round below it.

Name:  A86514FB-83A0-4E17-BC1D-65701DC7A792.jpeg
Views: 1154
Size:  68.8 KB

Twice in one magazine the trigger would not reset. Dead trigger. I got it to reset one time by chamber checking about halfway and the second it sort of reset itself after a second. I suspect something was holding the trigger bar down (grip?). It resolved itself and went hundreds of rounds no issue right afterwords. When I got home I took off grip and inspected the trigger bar and found nothing to note.

Also at home, it seems the front sight has drifted a little to the left. Hmm. Gonna leave and watch for now but if my groups head left will put it straight and figure out a way to stake it.

I took some sandpaper to the Beretta Plastic over grip to soften up the ridges a bit and my fleshy tummy it happier for it. Didn't notice any difficulty with grip during the session.

Hammertime
    Another 200 rounds all steel Wolf Polyformance.

Good news: I saw 0.27, 0.28, 0.29 splits for the first time on the 5 yard supertest. Also saw 0.22 one time doing doubles. Most were 0.26 plus.

Bad news: one primer didn’t light but did in second strike. Decent 0.5% success with the 13# spring.

Had the trigger return/reset issue again. Four times. This time I slowed down and looked at what was happening. Essentially under slower fire I was not resetting aggressively and the trigger bar seems to be dragging on something enough that the spring doesn’t get it fully forward. Pulling the finger off quickly or pushing behind the trigger resets.

It could be a weak TRS. I pulled it apart and TRS is in proper position. I think it is the trigger bar hanging up on grip:

Name:  74F27C51-17B5-4E88-BB1C-26FB97B4B59C.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  32.6 KB

I relieved that area with a pocket knife and we will see if it helps. The problem got worse as the gun got dirtier.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Another 200 rounds all steel Wolf Polyformance.

Good news: I saw 0.27, 0.28, 0.29 splits for the first time on the 5 yard supertest. Also saw 0.22 one time doing doubles. Most were 0.26 plus.

Bad news: one primer didn’t light but did in second strike. Decent 0.5% success with the 13# spring.

Had the trigger return/reset issue again. Four times. This time I slowed down and looked at what was happening. Essentially under slower fire I was not resetting aggressively and the trigger bar seems to be dragging on something enough that the spring doesn’t get it fully forward. Pulling the finger off quickly or pushing behind the trigger resets.

It could be a weak TRS. I pulled it apart and TRS is in proper position. I think it is the trigger bar hanging up on grip:

I relieved that area with a pocket knife and we will see if it helps. The problem got worse as the gun got dirtier.
    The trigger bar catching on the hammer seems to be a recurring issue on recent 92's. It's a tolerance thing. I also have noticed that it happens when the slide is OFF the frame. Without bringing the hammer back just a fraction, you might find the hammer and trigger bar will fail to engage. It will engage when you push the trigger bar up just a bit. It was not an issue with the TB Spring-it's new. It also happens when the grip is off.

I find it completely frustrating. Beretta listened to folks screaming about tighter tolerances...and here we seem to be. These were meant to function when the gun got dirtier.
    <º))))>< (_(_(_) ><((((º>
    Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking.
    Eἰς ἀνήρ οὐδεί ἀνήρ

Quote Originally Posted by Rev579 View Post
    The trigger bar catching on the hammer seems to be a recurring issue on recent 92's. It's a tolerance thing. I also have noticed that it happens when the slide is OFF the frame. Without bringing the hammer back just a fraction, you might find the hammer and trigger bar will fail to engage. It will engage when you push the trigger bar up just a bit. It was not an issue with the TB Spring-it's new. It also happens when the grip is off.

I find it completely frustrating. Beretta listened to folks screaming about tighter tolerances...and here we seem to be. These were meant to function when the gun got dirtier.
    Interesting. My example also displays this. With the slide off the frame, pulling the trigger does not engage the hammer. Is this likely to affect the reliability of the pistol during operation?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Interesting. My example also displays this. With the slide off the frame, pulling the trigger does not engage the hammer. Is this likely to affect the reliability of the pistol during operation?
    I’ve got a few Italian models and Maryland models that won’t engage the hammer with the slide off for some reason or another. I’ve notice the trigger bar doesn’t pop all the way up and if I push it up then the hammer gets engaged. They’ve run perfectly for years, so I think that particular thing may just be a peculiarity of the design rather than a QC issue.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    When the slide is off the frame, the hammer comes to rest a bit more forward than on any other 92 frame I have looked at. For the record, I compared a few(5 total) different 92X runs(SPEC0666A, SPEC0668A, & 92X) to a recent 92FS Compact from IT, 1999 Centurion, EII(x3), Elite, 92G, and Type M(x2). Each of the 92X frames had this issue. It didn't matter what hammer I used. The trigger bar was not the issue either. This means it is a frame tolerance issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I’ve got a few Italian models and Maryland models that won’t engage the hammer with the slide off for some reason or another. I’ve notice the trigger bar doesn’t pop all the way up and if I push it up then the hammer gets engaged. They’ve run perfectly for years, so I think that particular thing may just be a peculiarity of the design rather than a QC issue.
    It can also happen when the slide is on the frame. I agree, it is a peculiarity of the frame, but it isn't a good one.

This is so foolish. Let's shave off a nano-second off our return time and pray the trigger engages.
    Last edited by Rev579; 11-05-2020 at 11:09 PM.
    <º))))>< (_(_(_) ><((((º>
    Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking.
    Eἰς ἀνήρ οὐδεί ἀνήρ

Eh. Things are so uncertain right now I just ordered another.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Hammertime
    I finally received my exchanged Hogue grip. It’s amazing.

Name:  AC804F99-F7A7-440F-ACE0-7E54928C1BC4.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  59.0 KB

But it is not amazing enough that if you are happy with the plastic that it is worth $40 more.

They are very similar feeling. The plastic over grip is slightly more svelte, kind of like Langdon thin grips.

The Hogue feels more like a medium Wilson thickness and I really like it. They are 2mm wider and have a more 2X4 profile. Works out to 5mm more circumference for the gripping fingers with the trigger reach staying the same.

Name:  DC5F869C-1FC6-46BD-88D7-8A8B446B650C.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  52.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List