Page 20 of 39 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92D w/ 92X Grip

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Doc or anyone wanting conversion grips, mgw has the plastic conversion grips for the 92x for under $20. While not the g10 grips, they look better than the rubber version and may be a decent stop gap until the g10's become available again. I snagged a set to tinker with.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/ud5a1691

Thank you that is perfect. I didn’t know that grip existed. Plastic works just fine for me.

Sorry to say I picked up the last one.

Hammertime
    So a couple more observations as I am working the crap out of this thing dry:

For whatever reason the trigger has more grit in it than my old police turn in models which are very smooth. Hopefully it is a wear in thing and not a change to the parts finish. I tried a Wilson trigger bar and it is about the same. But the old models I have are really remarkably smooth, like better than a TJIAB smooth.

My older D models with bulky grips are also easier for me to run. I find it easier to pull and reset the trigger with a more hand filling grip again for whatever reason. Looking forward to receiving the larger plastic grip and also looking forward to grip makers starting to support the Vertec more with better over grips since this is the direction Beretta seems to have chosen for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post

For whatever reason the trigger has more grit in it than my old police turn in models which are very smooth. Hopefully it is a wear in thing and not a change to the parts finish. I tried a Wilson trigger bar and it is about the same. But the old models I have are really remarkably smooth, like better than a TJIAB smooth.

My older D models with bulky grips are also easier for me to run. I find it easier to pull and reset the trigger with a more hand filling grip again for whatever reason. Looking forward to receiving the larger plastic grip and also looking forward to grip makers starting to support the Vertec more with better over grips since this is the direction Beretta seems to have chosen for the future.
    I haven't swapped the trigger in my 92D-X yet, but with a few 92A1's I've had the grittiness in the action was solved by installing a steel trigger.

Lok Grips (bogies, veloce and full checker)
    Hogue (piranhas)

Both are making aggressive G10 grips for the Vertec.

I have Lok Bogies coming although I wouldn’t have thought twice about the Hogue Piranhas had I realized they were available.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

https://www.hogueinc.com/beretta-m9a...10-solid-black

I couldn't get to it through normal browsing but a search yielded these wraparound conversion grips from hogue. No pic yet though and I didn't see any texture options.

Edit - nm there seems to be one checkered option if you use the search bar. Maybe hogue is the manufacturer for the oem g10 wrap around?

https://www.hogueinc.com/catalogsear...ec+wrap+around
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post

Mine stacks noticeably when lifting the firing pin block. I expect it to smooth out with use, but if not, I imagine some careful polishing would probably do the trick.

What does everyone think about the the threat management aspects of the DAO in general?

Someone posted earlier about not outrunning assessment speed, and DB covered the post shooting issues in his LEM article.

I've read Rex's thoughts on the DAK(which is a system you don't hear much about). I handled a P226 DAO back in the 90s that had an incredible trigger.

I've personally had 2 incidents as a wee rookie carrying an issue Model 10. In both, I distinctly recall being aware of the hammer creeping back, and releasing the trigger.

We issued the 92D for a few years and I instructed one rookie class on them. There were certainly some training advantages, but it was a difficult row to hoe.

After a bunch of sniveling about the guns sights being out of whack, I went down the line at 15 yards shooting each pistol.

I put 5 rounds from each one into the head of the B-27 targets. That ended the discussion.

I'd love to hear some elaboration on these issues.

Site Supporter
    @feudist - I've got a PX4 D, and for a while, I was thinking about going to it as my primary carry vs. a G model. DB made a strong argument against it, characterizing the DA as a "thinking" trigger and the SA as a "shooting" trigger. He convinced me to stay with the G model, but the DAO idea remains in the back of my mind. It's not helping things that yesterday I shot an autoloader-centric training course with my 4" M10 and did well.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    What does everyone think about the the threat management aspects of the DAO in general?

I'd love to hear some elaboration on these issues.
    I bought one for AIWB for obvious reasons. I may be defaulting to early years of training (revolver) as I age, but recently I've been very concerned of negligent discharge with striker fire pistols. I don't know if this is subconscious reaction to all the internet posts about 320 and other striker fire failures or something else. Regardless, this has a trigger comparable to a revolver (needs some breaking in though) and I will feel less concerned about negligent discharge in general or unintended discharge during threat management situation. Obviously, this is a personal hang up and others may think I am well off the mark.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    I haven't swapped the trigger in my 92D-X yet, but with a few 92A1's I've had the grittiness in the action was solved by installing a steel trigger.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Today I had time to putter so I methodically replaced part after part from a known smooth 92D to see if I could diagnose this.

Metal trigger: nope
    Trigger Bar: nope.

Turned out it was the axle that the hammer spins on. Took it apart cleaned, “lapped” it a bit with oil and just working the axle back and forth in the hammer. Cleaned and oiled again, reassembled and the trigger is super smooth. I went ahead and installed the stock trigger bar so mine is totally factory at this point and it is a really nice albeit heavy trigger.

These 92s are really super fun to tinker with as well. Not difficult to disassemble the frame anyway with a little practice.

User Tag List