Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92D w/ 92X Grip

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    D centurion slide on Ebay currently

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184414488802
    That’s tempting, for a complete slide. I converted my FS centurion to DAO and installed a Wilson single-sided low profile G lever. AFAIK, that’s as close as you can get to leverless without grinding. I wonder how blem the slide really is in person. I also wonder why it matters with 9mm at $600/k. :/

Getting slower with age. Just realized my Kramer M9 holster won't work due to rail and likely rounded trigger guard. Anyone have recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Getting slower with age. Just realized my Kramer M9 holster won't work due to rail and likely rounded trigger guard. Anyone have recommendations?
    Boosters for the 92X will work and I’d be more than willing to bet that boosters for the M9A1 will work too despite the differences in trigger guard. JM Custom Kydex has a load of awesome holsters. Keepers Concealment has excellent AIWB holsters also. Dark Star Gear has a holster out there that will work also.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    This is a big bag of disappointment. I have been tagging @e_stern to say Beretta should make this gun for years. They finally do it, and do it better than I had imagined, with a Vertec D slide. So I have to buy it. Was close to buying another. And they screw the pooch by machining the front sight dovetail at an angle. I did not transfer the pistol. It's going back to Bud's.

I suspect the majority of people who get these guns and fail to complain are just not noticing it. The defect is subtle, and not something anyone would have any reason to suspect. But once seen, it cannot be unseen, and would be a perpetual distraction.

I miss out on a once-in-a-lifetime chance to own an awesome gun, but I also avoid being sad/pissed off/disappointed/frustrated every time I see that front sight for the rest of my life.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    This is a big bag of disappointment. I have been tagging @e_stern to say Beretta should make this gun for years. They finally do it, and do it better than I had imagined, with a Vertec D slide. So I have to buy it. Was close to buying another. And they screw the pooch by machining the front sight dovetail at an angle. I did not transfer the pistol. It's going back to Bud's.

I suspect the majority of people who get these guns and fail to complain are just not noticing it. The defect is subtle, and not something anyone would have any reason to suspect. But once seen, it cannot be unseen, and would be a perpetual distraction.

I miss out on a once-in-a-lifetime chance to own an awesome gun, but I also avoid being sad/pissed off/disappointed/frustrated every time I see that front sight for the rest of my life.
    Did it appear to you that there would be enough material to re-machine the dovetail? I haven't removed the front sight on my gun yet, but I'm hoping that I can just file the sight itself to fit instead of having to alter the slide.
    Last edited by oregon45; 10-15-2020 at 04:04 PM.

Unfortunately, due to the geometry of a dovetail, the only way to remachine it would be if you had a sight with a massively oversized dovetail base to fit to the new geometry. It's not like e.g. a square slot that can just be leveled. Or maybe the slide could be welded, but that's the kind of thing you do when restoring a valuable, impossible to replace part.

This whole thing makes me wonder whether us DAO dorks are the lucky ones, or are a whole bunch of Vertec/M9A3 slides going out the door with screwed up front sights?
    Not another dime.

I got mine today and see no issue with the front sight. Of course, I couldn't see it in the photos in this thread.

Hammertime

Thank you for the reminder to inspect the gun carefully before transferring it.

How is the sight cant best visualized?

Mine arrives Monday. I may accept it if I can be sure Beretta will fix it or replace the slide. They may not have more D slides though?

It can be seen a couple of ways.

When you're actually sighting with the sights aligned, the front sight being in the notch makes it a little less obvious. But if you elevate the front sight so you can see the sides down to the base, it's pretty clear.

If you look at the fit of the dovetail base in the slide, the left side is higher.

If you take the slide off the gun and sight from the front to back, you can see the base on the left (your right as you're looking at the slide) is definitely higher and protrudes more from the slide.

If you take along a straightedge, with the slide on the gunshop counter (you'll have to hold the rear down or remove the barrel), balance the straightedge on the flat top of the sight, and you'll see the angle of a few degrees.
    Not another dime.

Hammertime
    It can be seen a couple of ways.

When you're actually sighting with the sights aligned, the front sight being in the notch makes it a little less obvious. But if you elevate the front sight so you can see the sides down to the base, it's pretty clear.

If you look at the fit of the dovetail base in the slide, the left side is higher.

If you take the slide off the gun and sight from the front to back, you can see the base on the left (your right as you're looking at the slide) is definitely higher and protrudes more from the slide.

If you take along a straightedge, with the slide on the gunshop counter (you'll have to hold the rear down or remove the barrel), balance the straightedge on the flat top of the sight, and you'll see the angle of a few degrees.

Thank you. I had a Sig Legion with a similar front sight issue and it shot fine but still bugged me no end.

User Tag List