Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92D w/ 92X Grip

Site Supporter
    These updates are very disappointing for a pistol I was trying to work into the budget.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    These updates are very disappointing for a pistol I was trying to work into the budget.
    If it weren't a limited run I'd say wait for a bit. If you really want one grab one now and just get Beretta to fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I will be the infidel in this thread and ask: what is this for?

TDA gives you the "threat management" long heavy pull, and then you have the short-light-crisp SA trigger for gunfighting.

Is this for the Beretta completest?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post

TDA gives you the "threat management" long heavy pull, and then you have the short-light-crisp SA trigger for gunfighting.

1.) You don't have to learn two different pulls and transitioning between them
    2.) No decocker is less stuff to break
    3.) slick slide and no hammer spur looks cool
    4.) Pizza gunz r lyfe
    5.) something I'm forgetting.
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

People were gunfighting with DAO triggers for a long time, and the DAO trigger wasn't the inhibiting factor but rather capacity and reload speed.

So, there's a subset of people who like the qualities of the DAO trigger and what it offers: exceptional accuracy once you learn how to properly shoot a gun, the extra threat management aspect, and the lack of need to decock. While we all talk about making decocking a subconscious thing, people do funny things under stress and sometimes indeed end up forgetting to decock, which becomes a safety issue. The DAO avoids that.

All you have to do is be at peace with the notion that you won't be looking sUPeR c00l on the square range with mad SpLiTZ on your timer...a pursuit that a growing number of people with experience at gunfighting regard as counter-productive and are actively trying to un-train.

tl;dr: pick your poison of what feels most important to you.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

For me, I'm getting ready to do a revolver focused year. I've really enjoyed shooting them and this will allow me to have a similar trigger operation while allowing greater capacity/ease of reloading and save on weight.

The trigger on mine is probably not as nice as a pc wheel gun(feels slightly longer and heavier) but it is adequate and from dry practice I can split it faster than assessment speed, so while I may not be able to meet some of the fun instagram challenges that are out there, I can (theoretically, my first session is later today, but based off prior dao experience) shoot this well enough that I'm not at a disadvantage from a carry perspective.

I like double action triggers, as they help with my anticipation issues. The lack of a wall helps me with the process of a continuous press.

And I'll absolutely admit, i just find dao fun. I find it enjoyable to learn different trigger systems(keeps me going back to the range). If it doesn't work out it is still a cool piece and nice dry practice tool.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

In my case, I was looking for a gun I could equip a total newbie with. It’s revolver-simple, with better ergonomics and 3x+ the capacity. It’s also great for more complex forms of dry practice.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    1.) You don't have to learn two different pulls and transitioning between them
    2.) No decocker is less stuff to break
    3.) slick slide and no hammer spur looks cool
    4.) Pizza gunz r lyfe
    5.) something I'm forgetting.
    I particularly like the slick slide on the Beretta. I've said before that the overall view when sighting a B92 with ambi levers is sufficiently like a beer hat to be distracting to me.

Some people find they actually tend to have better accuracy in DA fire. Which is good for accountability, as well as all the other precautionary aspects that are usually discussed.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Some people find they actually tend to have better accuracy in DA fire. Which is good for accountability, as well as all the other precautionary aspects that are usually discussed.
    I have noticed I concentrate harder on the DA and then am a little too quick with the following single action shot. I've heard other people say they do the same thing. Seems to be the natural progression of DA/SA shooting. You suck at double action so you practice the DA until you have it down pretty well and then find out you tend to snatch that second shot and you have to work on the transition from one to the next.

One other potential benefit I noticed, there's a false reset in the trigger and I didn't let the trigger all the way out a couple times. If you ever catch yourself short stroking any other gun, a 92D will force you to let that trigger all the way out.

I took mine out for the first session today. I wanted to see if the front sight being visibly off would have a huge impact on it's shooting. It would seem obvious that it would.

I ran it from a phlster floodlight with a tlr1 attached for the duration.

I started off with shooting off my range bag at 25. Ammo was AE 115. 10 rounds cold using top edge to bisect the target.

Less than stellar but first rounds through a new and different gun. I decided to use a 6 o'clock hold at 25 and see if I could use top edge or drive the dot closer in.

I decided to jump right into my drills and started with a drill I call the Defoor Exam. A Defoor Pistol test #1 but with the first string replaced by a hat qual (10 rounds 20 seconds/90 to pass) and adding in a modified pistol test #2 where I replace the A zone with the b8 and need 5/6 on the b8 to pass(draw 2 in 4 seconds x3). The seven yard strings stay the same.

A miserable hat qual but the 6 o'clock hold seemed to get the elevation right when I did my part.

61 is the worst i've done on this part for this year. No excuses. I just didn't deliver here.

The modified Defoor #2 went better.

6/6 on the b8 and all under time.

At seven I had to push for a bit of speed for the first time. The one shot draw at 7 to the 6x6 was a fail. My thumb got caught in my cover garment and fouled my draw which resulted in an OT hit.

The ot was a result of me fouling the draw. Not much I can do but make sure that garment is out of the way!

Next was the bill to the 6x6.

Totally oofed the first shot high and then shot an extra shot. I ended up 3/4's of a second over par with .51 being the extra split. So just over a 1/4 second over par on the correct number of shots. Definitely takes more work to split a dao gun compared to a striker fired like the m&p's that i've been working with but with some dedicated effort I think I will be able to make this par without much trouble. The miss made it a failing string anyway.

The two to the credit card in 3.5 was a nice solid pair in 3.10. Slower than my average (mid 2's) but solid performance for a day 1 effort.

Next I jumped right in to an Advanced Supertest. On the 7 yard portion of the Exam, I was driving the dot and it seemed to work fine, so I figured it would be ok to use top edge from 15 and in with the AE 115's. I was wrong.

An ugly 242. Hits were high until the 5, with two mikes at the 10 that were me breaking the shot too high. I decided to run it again using a 6 o'clock hold on all strings.

A 274. My average for the year is 279, so a bit lower than average but that average was made with striker fired guns, some of which had dots, and two da/sa's. I think it's a solid baseline to start from. Unfortunately I hate a gun that uses a 6 o'clock hold and won't tolerate. About this time I ran out of AE 115 and had to use some leftover AE 124. The final drill of the day was the modified LAPD swat qual using a b8 and 3x5, ran from concealment.

My first pair at 25 sent the rounds a bit low using a 6 o'clock hold(3.09 with a low mike) so I switched to a top edge hold since the ammo changed to the AE 124. That change led to a 10/9 and 10/8 under par on the last two runs at 25. Bingo! This gun likes 124's. I kept a top edge hold the rest of the drill. Even with the mike, it wasn't the worst score I've put up on this section of the drill. Can't say the trigger is holding me back here.

All was average hits and under par at 15.

At 10 it was more of the same.

All under par and average hits.

Low end of average at 7.

As the distance got closer, I got into my own head and did what I knew better than to do. I started thinking about time and pushed artificially fast.

Miked the first 3x5 shot while leaving plenty of time on the clock that I could have used to clean it up.

Same thing at 3.

Dropped a damn 3x5 though I only made the par by the skin of my teeth. I find absolute splits key on this string, depending on your draw time, but with the transition to the head I had plenty of time and just dropped the ball. Not much time left to clean things up, just have to drive to the 3x5 hard and make the shot. Cleaned it up with two 10's and a 3x5 hit on the final run as a nice way to end the drill.

Overall I ended up with 3 mikes (1 each at 25/5/3) That resulted in 302. While not my lowest on this drill, it was the most mikes I've had and still within a few points of my average runs with other guns. No excuses for the close misses but i believe that I would have not missed at 25 if I had known the 124's were hitting top edge rather than a 6 o'clock that the 115's were needing.

So a small collection of challenging tests for my first outing with the 92d. Honestly - it takes a bit more effort to shoot as well or close to my striker guns - but with some more time and familiarization I feel I could certainly lessen the gap. As long as it keeps on running then I won't have a problem using this as my primary when I start hitting wheel guns hard, at least from a performance perspective. I'm not worried about blind splits and it can be shot reasonably well at assessment speed. I won't be winning a MSP patch or turbo pin with it but after 1 day and some dry practice, so far i'm happy with it.

I think it will be a fun journey. The vertec grip didn't even bother me. As long as I made sure I was high up on the draw then it stayed put. Not as forgiving of a bad draw (as in low on the grip) as a normal 92, which somewhat self corrects by sucking my hand up into the backstrap thanks to the hump, but I didn't have any complaints about the grip at all. I ordered a set of g10's from lok in the veloce texture anyway. Still want to mess with springs and see if I can get a faster return and balance that out with a lighter hammer spring to keep it near where it's at. But really the only immediate thing I want to change is the mag button.
    Last edited by backtrail540; 10-11-2020 at 09:03 PM.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

User Tag List