Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92D w/ 92X Grip

Has anyone asked LTT if they’ll sell a Trigger Job in a Bag that doesn’t include the sear and sear spring for the DAO models? I’m curious how light and smooth you could get one of these triggers.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    You just need the trigger bar and springs. Or get the Wilson kit with the bar and springs packaged together for $67 at Optics Planet.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The Wilson kit sounds like a good deal. I think that’s the route I’ll go. The extended mag release probably isn’t a bad idea either. I like the one on my LTT Elite and wasn’t a huge fan of the standard release on my issued M9.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I have messed with both the oversized checkered release and the one that's just a taller version of the stock button. With the Hogue G10 checkered grips appropriately modified, I went back to the standard button and sold the others. But it seems I have long thumbs.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Has anyone asked LTT if they’ll sell a Trigger Job in a Bag that doesn’t include the sear and sear spring for the DAO models? I’m curious how light and smooth you could get one of these triggers.
    Yes they will. There was a poster here and on the Beretta forum maybe 2 yrs ago who had a D. She talked to LTT, they sent a TJIB specifically for her D. One comment I remember from LTT via her was that, because of the one piece firing pin a D can generally use 1# lower hammer spring. So I kept that in back of my mind. I have been running a 12# in my idpa M9A1 for 3 yrs. So covid stopped matches for months this spring and I decided to try 11#. OMG, a 5# DA pull on a 92 is unbelievable. I can't promise that is available to everyone. I have an NP3 TJIB and have also polished everything that moves including the firing pin. And my firing block is polished and the spring snipped and I did start getting light strikes at about 400 rnds (so I pulled the extractor and spray cleaned it and firing pin) but walking up to a stage where the first shot is a 4" head shot at 25-30 ft and not worrying about it??? Oh yeah!

I want to add some experience for anyone who hasn't messed w/ G10 yet. It has a no hand slip but not a 'my shirt gets hung up on it and prints' feel to it. It also has very little reaction to heat or cold that may be just a little bit better that way than plastic frames. I am a tinkerer so I often mod stuff like grips. Sorry that flickr has been messed up all day so I will try to add pics tomorrow. Anyway, G10 is kind of like a medium hardwood but w/o the grain. So sanding it is a breeze. If I plan to take off a lot I start w/ 100 grit. Smaller mods I might start w/ 150-220. The key is end w/ 400 or so. That will give a bead blasted metal or satin type finish. 400 w/ water or oil will get close to a gloss. When done sanding, blow or towel away the dust and wipe just a little oil, anything handy is fine, on the sanded area. This will get rid of the white haze. Then wipe it like crazy w/ dry towel or paper to get rid of the oil. I don't try any solvents because the couple I tried brought back the haze. I don't think I will ever buy anything but G10 from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Yes they will. There was a poster here and on the Beretta forum maybe 2 yrs ago who had a D. She talked to LTT, they sent a TJIB specifically for her D. One comment I remember from LTT via her was that, because of the one piece firing pin a D can generally use 1# lower hammer spring. So I kept that in back of my mind. I have been running a 12# in my idpa M9A1 for 3 yrs. So covid stopped matches for months this spring and I decided to try 11#. OMG, a 5# DA pull on a 92 is unbelievable. I can't promise that is available to everyone. I have an NP3 TJIB and have also polished everything that moves including the firing pin. And my firing block is polished and the spring snipped and I did start getting light strikes at about 400 rnds (so I pulled the extractor and spray cleaned it and firing pin) but walking up to a stage where the first shot is a 4" head shot at 25-30 ft and not worrying about it??? Oh yeah!
    I ended up buying the Wilson kit from Optics Planet. I have an NP3 Wilson trigger bar, as part of an NP3 TJIAB, on my LTT and the trigger is very smooth and light enough for me to enjoy it. That’s with a 13# hammer spring. I’ll likely go with the 12# spring for the 92D. While a 5# DA pull sounds out of this world, I’d be perfectly happy with a smooth pull of 7-8#.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I want to add some experience for anyone who hasn't messed w/ G10 yet. It has a no hand slip but not a 'my shirt gets hung up on it and prints' feel to it. It also has very little reaction to heat or cold that may be just a little bit better that way than plastic frames. I am a tinkerer so I often mod stuff like grips. Sorry that flickr has been messed up all day so I will try to add pics tomorrow. Anyway, G10 is kind of like a medium hardwood but w/o the grain. So sanding it is a breeze. If I plan to take off a lot I start w/ 100 grit. Smaller mods I might start w/ 150-220. The key is end w/ 400 or so. That will give a bead blasted metal or satin type finish. 400 w/ water or oil will get close to a gloss. When done sanding, blow or towel away the dust and wipe just a little oil, anything handy is fine, on the sanded area. This will get rid of the white haze. Then wipe it like crazy w/ dry towel or paper to get rid of the oil. I don't try any solvents because the couple I tried brought back the haze. I don't think I will ever buy anything but G10 from now on.
    That's pretty close to my system. I use Johnson's baby oil so I know it's fine on my skin.
    Not another dime.

Hammertime
    I got mine out for 200 rounds tonight. Good function except four fails to lock back on empty and two double clutches shooting fast. Both due to how I handle it.

I don’t care for this small grip. I find the long ass 92 slide difficulty enough to control without diminishing the surface area of the grip. I noticed the same sort of see saw nose dive I struggle with on these frames and G34s. Which are about the same length interestingly.

Sights are drive the dot out to 15 then switch to tip of front at 25 my example hit left consistently. Inspection at home revealed both the front and rear sights offset to the left (rear more). I centered them and hope it clears it up. The staking on the front sight is weak and actually doesn’t touch the frame at all just a dot on the sight.

Splits were as I remember .3-.4 max for me. And that not for long due to fatigue. And today that was not keeping things in the black on a B8.

I really think I need that G10 grip. If anyone has one they want to sell let me know.

It’s a cool gun but for shooting I shoot circles around myself with a Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I really think I need that G10 grip. If anyone has one they want to sell let me know.
    Doc or anyone wanting conversion grips, mgw has the plastic conversion grips for the 92x for under $20. While not the g10 grips, they look better than the rubber version and may be a decent stop gap until the g10's become available again. I snagged a set to tinker with.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/ud5a1691
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

User Tag List