Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92D w/ 92X Grip

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I had a Sig Legion with a similar front sight issue...
    I like classic Sigs a lot when they're good, but to pay ~30-50% extra for a premium version and find something that would render a base model defective just sours one on the whole mess.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I took the slide off of mine, put it on a bench with the barrel removed and put a bubble level on the front sight. If it’s canted, it is very very slight. I can’t see it, but thought I’d put the level on it to test. Of course, this probably removes any accuracy excuses I was going to have. I’ll also note that the slide had a fair amount of carbon inside it from test firing, more than I am accustomed to.

I will note that I ordered an Elite LTT with a trigger job and NP3 that came with the front sight slightly off center in the dovetail. Found that when I couldn’t understand why my shots were trending to the right (right handed shooter, when I screw the pooch I normally send em left) at ranges of 15 yards and greater. I looked, thought I saw something of center with the front, had a friend confirm. Yup, had to adjust to zero.

Last range report to bore you all with, unless something goes wrong. The crooked front sight seems to only be an aesthetic issue, as my shooting today was on par with my previous shooting of these drills.

I have put a set of Lok grips in the veloce texture on the gun and dropped in a chrome silicone trs and 12 lb hammer spring to see how long it goes before not popping something.

I started with a cold fbi bullseye run. I ran it on a langdon target but overlayed a b8 repair center to make sure my 7's were in. I had a fairly poor start with an 88 to start at 25. Then I pulled out a 49,50,47,49 on the 15 yard strings for a 283, one of my better scores on this test.

Next I ran a sweet 16 drill. Starting at 7 yards I made it to 19 yards without a miss, though I called a miss at 12 and shot again but the first called miss was actually a very slight hit upon further inspection (high left nick of the card). At 19 I missed twice then my final shot was a 19 yard hit. That's the best i've done on this drill in a few years.

The dotw, 10 round assault course was next with a solid 18.95 for 94 points. Pics in the dotw thread.

The 20 hits drill confirmed what I already assumed. It took 11 runs to get 20 hits (two single misses throughout the first 10 runs) for a total time of 28.33. That is a few seconds slower than with my iron sighted m&p's and 1 second faster overall than my rds run but the average run for the 92d was 2.56 where my m&p averages were 2.1-2.24 on the high end. I think it's due to the fact that I draw the m&p faster and a longer trigger press with the 92d. I'm still working on my draw to first shot time with the 92d.

I have come to like running a modified 99 drill using the black of a b8, since I have a stack of b8's and it's roughly equivalent to the area of a 4x6 card. I scored a 78, a point off from my highest this year. The da trigger leads to less anticipation for me and made it seem like routine effortless shooting. By the time i reset the target and started the press I could clean up the sights as needed and continuously work the trigger. Certainly happy with this, though the reload stage was easily my worst. I've got trouble hitting the stock mag button and have an extended piece on the way.

7 yard stage - d3 in 2.5 for 24/30 points

7 yard stage 2 - 1r2 in 5 for 22/30 points

10 yard stage - d3 in 3.5 for 26/30

15 yard stage - d3 in 5 seconds for 6/9 points

Finally I ran 3 Fast's

7.16 clean but I had an issue getting the mag to drop then short stroked the trigger during the four body shots

5.90 clean(video in the FAST thread) all went well here. I've never been a coin run shooter, only having 1 or 2 at that performance level in my shooting career, but sub 6 is generally doable.

The last run was a 5.73 raw time but I squeaked one of the 3x5 shots an inch high so it ended up being 7.73. There's always one of the three...

I had 4 rounds of 147 hst left plus 1 ae fmj and wanted to see if the 12 lb spring would light off steel cased tula so I loaded 5 of those. 7 yards at a 2", all were hits except for one called flyer.

I guess that's a long and somewhat detailed way of saying that I dig this gun and that the crooked front sight is simply cosmetic. Maybe a better shooter could notice a difference but in my hands it makes none. I'm going to run the rest of a box of the steel case through it next trip and see if the 12 lb hs will light them all off or not and a few hundred more rounds through it before settling on a 13 lb for carry for a little extra insurance. I'm not particularly worried as I carry hst's and it seems to like them. So far 50 hst 147's, 300 fed fmj's (115 and 124) and a few tula 115's. Dig it.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Great write up!

Mine arrived. Slightly wonky front sight but I’m used to using AK’s so not an issue as long as it zeroes. The trigger is t bad but stacks slightly. It needs a clean, polish and lube. WC Trigger Bar Kit SBR springs are on the way. An extended/oversized mag release is also inbound. I just need to decide on grips because these OG Vertec grips suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    On the one I handled, the noticeable stacking corresponded to when the firing pin block started to move. As commented earlier by someone else.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    On the one I handled, the noticeable stacking corresponded to when the firing pin block started to move. As commented earlier by someone else.
    Mine stacks at that point and it is quite noticeable. I may have a look in there at some point and see if there’s any burrs or anything.

I trim a coil or two off of the firing pin block spring and polish the block. I thought about trying to polish the hole in the slide but decided I might damage it so let it go. It makes a tiny improvement but I figure tiny improvements can add up.

Hammertime
    These are now $589 with free shipping on GB. Bud's has taken about two weeks to get it to me (should arrive today). Wish I had ordered from these guys on GB:

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/881754894

At that price I might consider buying a second if I hadn't just won something else on GB. I'm out of fun money for the time being.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

PSA: PSA also has them listed. Daily Deal for today.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

User Tag List