Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Fullsize revolvers 38 vs 44 vs 45?

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    I should have specified with the X frame I was only thinking of the 460, mainly as a very light kicking gun with 454 or Ruger Level 45 LC loads for hunting. Most likely with Leupold on it. It's not a belt gun IMO, its more of a "pocket rifle" hunting handgun roughly equivalent to a TC Contender but much milder recoil, I would probably use ether a sling or hunting type shoulder/bandoleer holster for it.

For a hunting or field belt gun I have a Glock 29SF or could use the one of my 4" N frames with hardcast 38 specials or 44 specials.

Though if I did get a 460 caliber X frame I would probably want to get belt friendly revolver in 45 ACP/45 LC like a S&W N frame, Ruger DA, or SA revolver to complement it. Though that is certainly a want not a need, the G29 would compliment X frame well functionally if not aesthetically.
    What species are you hunting?

Is defense from large animals an issue, such as stuff you find in the northern Rockies?

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I would be very interested in one if it didn't make me want to put my own eye out.
    I had similar feelings about the original GP100, when it was introduced, about 1985*. Not only was “the billboard” on the barrel, but the model name engraving seemed so crude. Not until about 1990 did I decide to buy my first GP100, after finally discovering that the grip was absolutely, custom-level perfect for my hands. (For any young-‘uns reading this, I am talking about the original Ruger GP100 grip, well before those Hogue grips were offered on many GP100 models.) Shooting the GP100 was the confirmation; all was right with the world. All of a sudden, that ugly barrel looked beautiful.

As for being able to grasp a barrel, to stop a gun grab, I was able to stop Paul Gomez from taking-away a G17-sized Sim Glock, at ECQC, in 2005 or 2006. I reckon that the rail slots helped provide traction, to assist my gripping with my support hand, resisting what Paul was doing, overcoming the leverage he was applying, at the upper rear and mid-parts of the slide and frame. (Interestingly, my prior training, that had “kicked-in,” at that moment, was good ol’ US Red Cross Advanced Lifesaving, a.k.a. Water Safety Instructor/Lifeguard training. The principles of leverage are universal, and being underwater, with “x” amount of air in one’s lungs, is a true form of stress inoculation training.)

*1985 is when I was wrecking my right thumb, hand, and wrist with an imperfectly-held S&W Model 629, .44 Magnum, as my index finger is not quite long enough to reach an N-Frame trigger, for DA shooting. I backed-down to a Model 58 .41 Mag, by the end of 1985, but that is still an N-Frame, and I kept up the punishment until about 1990, or early 1991. I can only wonder how much healthier my right hand, thumb, and wrist might be, today, had I embraced the GP100 sooner.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ldunnmobile View Post
    I keep talking myself in and out of a 2.75” Model 69 Combat 44
    Dooooo eeeeettttt!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I would be very interested in one if it didn't make me want to put my own eye out. They should also start building it in calibers that start with 4.
    This! With options for 4, 5 and 6 inch barrels.

I think a Super GP in 44 or 45 with a 4 inch partial lug barrel would be as good as it gets. Bowen has been making conversions for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    What species are you hunting?

Is defense from large animals an issue, such as stuff you find in the northern Rockies?
    Sorry haven't been logged in to the forum for some time, just saw this.

More just looking for hunting handguns that I can use with current physical limitations, handgun hunting has always appealed to me far more than hunting with long gun.

I live in the Midwest so not concerned much with wild animal defense, though based on what's happened to friends and family far more concerned about domestic animals, both grandfather and friend of mine where attacked by bulls.

Mother in Law of one of my sisters was killed by a bull.

My gf also has had horses most of her life the so the need to humanely deal with badly wounded horse is also something try to be prepared for, though hope never have to do that.

Sorry haven't been logged in to the forum for some time, just saw this.

More just looking for hunting handguns that I can use with current physical limitations, handgun hunting has always appealed to me far more than hunting with long gun.

I live in the Midwest so not concerned much with wild animal defense, though based on what's happened to friends and family far more concerned about domestic animals, both grandfather and friend of mine where attacked by bulls.

Mother in Law of one of my sisters was killed by a bull.

My gf also has had horses most of her life the so the need to humanely deal with badly wounded horse is also something try to be prepared for, though hope never have to do that.

A 5" N frame in .44 Mag/.45 Colt with a 240/250 grain bullet at 1K would likely handle all you need. Easy to shoot, recoil is tolerable, revolver is packable and won't wear you down.

I run a 270 grain Keith style wide meplat SWC in my .45 Colt at 900 FPS in my Ruger .45 Flattop and it is another good choice is you wanted a single action.

I just spent a few days south of Livingston MT, this last weekend, and it was one of the guns I had with me.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I went with a Ruger Blackhawk .44 Special and I love it. With a single action revolver you don't go through that many rounds...
    You're just not trying! Buckle down, you can do this!😁

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    A 5" N frame in .44 Mag/.45 Colt with a 240/250 grain bullet at 1K would likely handle all you need. Easy to shoot, recoil is tolerable, revolver is packable and won't wear you down.

I run a 270 grain Keith style wide meplat SWC in my .45 Colt at 900 FPS in my Ruger .45 Flattop and it is another good choice is you wanted a single action.

I just spent a few days south of Livingston MT, this last weekend, and it was one of the guns I had with me.

Yeah that's one of the things I've been thinking about trying, think Linebaugh has written a little about how effective the ~250 grain hardcast bullets at ~900 fps are for lower 48 hunting but cant recall any details on that.

Just don't have any experience or good references/notes on details of those loads, unlike the 300-325 grain hardcast bullets at 1200-1400 fps.

Yeah that's one of the things I've been thinking about trying, think Linebaugh has written a little about how effective the ~250 grain hardcast bullets at ~900 fps are for lower 48 hunting but cant recall any details on that.

Just don't have any experience or good references/notes on details of those loads, unlike the 300-325 grain hardcast bullets at 1200-1400 fps.
    http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt45lc.htm

User Tag List