Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SA Model 2020 Waypoint

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TWR View Post
    How hard is it to make a bolt gun? I mean they make an action and barrel, buy everything else and slap it together.

I think SA saw a market and decided to jump in with everyone else. I like what they've done here and if they shoot, why not?
    About as hard as it is for Taurus to make a 9mm!! In the precision rifle world the “action and barrel” and how the “slapping it all together” happens is what matters the most. People pay thousands for those details to be spot on.

The last couple of sentences expressed my thoughts. And @Wise_A is doing the same math as me. $1500-1800 can buy a lot of proven rifle and is getting out of the budget category. If the Waypoint shoots with the proven names and ends up comparing favorably with the competition then I have no problem saying it’s worth it. I was just wondering why everyone was so excited since I didn’t know anything about it and SA isn’t a usual player in the long gun game.

For example, Savage has a long history of good shooting rifles that have been well vetted. As well as Remington. But no way am I paying $1500-2000 for one of them in a similar build.

Though it doesn’t sound like it, I’m withholding judgment. If it turns out to be a solid player and a value at its price point, bad ass!!
    Last edited by TOTS; 10-21-2020 at 06:18 PM.

Site Supporter
    With the tech side of things they're pushing, these aren't really items SA is known for making. I'll hold off and see how it works out, but at this point in time, Tikka and Howa's seem to be a better option for me.

From the limited custom work I’ve had done, it’s been simple to buy a good barrel, square up the receiver and bolt, thread the barrel on straight and cut a good chamber. Feeding is all but done with known magazines, the action probably has a known footprint so stocks can be bought, bedded and bolted up. There’s just not a lot of magic involved to outshoot most shooters.

I guess what I mean is if a worker can figure out how to fit a barrel and time a 1911, building a bolt gun that will do .750” groups (3 shots I’m sure) shouldn’t be that big of a step.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    That’s with the CF barrel. The normal one is $1700 MSRP, and I would expect street to settle in considerably lower.
    It would have to settle in considerably lower. Italics considerably, not just regular considerably. There are a few reputable makers with rifles in that price bracket that are accurate, have bettter-than-a-base-700 actions, and are lightweight.

Quote Originally Posted by TWR
    There’s just not a lot of magic involved to outshoot most shooters.
    Most bolt guns are capable of really good groups. The trick is in shooting really good groups repeatably.

Quote Originally Posted by TWR
    How hard is it to make a bolt gun? I mean they make an action and barrel, buy everything else and slap it together.
    First, there's the basics of stuff you can really screw up. For instance, failing to make the barrel's bore concentric to the outer diameter, a fault most people won't notice but for the few that go and have their factory barrel cut and threaded for a brake or suppressor. Then it's super-apparent, and in short order.

Then, there's some cool shit that you can do if you care enough. For instance, in the custom action market, one of the neatest things you can get for your money (IMO) is super-repeatable threading of the action. That means that instead of having to get your barrel fit to the action, or switching to a Remage-style barrel nut system (which some people don't like), or other barrel fitment options, you can get what's called a "shouldered pre-fit". The barrel maker simply cuts the threads and shoulder of the barrel so that when you torque it down, the chamber is properly headspaced.

Bolt-action rifles are very simple in concept, but incredibly complex on a technical level.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    It would have to settle in considerably lower. Italics considerably, not just regular considerably. There are a few reputable makers with rifles in that price bracket that are accurate, have bettter-than-a-base-700 actions, and are lightweight.

Most bolt guns are capable of really good groups. The trick is in shooting really good groups repeatably.

First, there's the basics of stuff you can really screw up. For instance, failing to make the barrel's bore concentric to the outer diameter, a fault most people won't notice but for the few that go and have their factory barrel cut and threaded for a brake or suppressor. Then it's super-apparent, and in short order.

Then, there's some cool shit that you can do if you care enough. For instance, in the custom action market, one of the neatest things you can get for your money (IMO) is super-repeatable threading of the action. That means that instead of having to get your barrel fit to the action, or switching to a Remage-style barrel nut system (which some people don't like), or other barrel fitment options, you can get what's called a "shouldered pre-fit". The barrel maker simply cuts the threads and shoulder of the barrel so that when you torque it down, the chamber is properly headspaced.

Bolt-action rifles are very simple in concept, but incredibly complex on a technical level.
    I’m willing to wait and see how SA does with these. I won’t be an early adopter, but I also believe that we need to give new manufacturers a chance before we uniformly condemn their products.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I'm a firm believer in 10 shot groups even on my mountain rifle contoured barrels, Remington's and Kimbers. Maybe I've had extremely good luck or IT&D did exceptional work even with Douglas barrels. I bed my own guns and get 10 shot groups just over 1 MOA which is probably less precision than what the guns are capable of with a better shooter. Yes there are tricks but it all starts with a good barrel and a straight action. Today's CNC stuff is pretty hard to get wrong.

Savage, Stevens, Howa, Bergara and a few others I'm sure are cheaper options that have proven to be good shooters. Throw them in a $500 stock, add a good rail, add a detachable mag system and you're gonna be right on up there in price.

Yes you can send $4000 to GAP and get a lot more but in today's world, $1000-1500 really goes pretty quick when building a rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by TWR View Post
    From the limited custom work I’ve had done, it’s been simple to buy a good barrel, square up the receiver and bolt, thread the barrel on straight and cut a good chamber. Feeding is all but done with known magazines, the action probably has a known footprint so stocks can be bought, bedded and bolted up. There’s just not a lot of magic involved to outshoot most shooters.

I guess what I mean is if a worker can figure out how to fit a barrel and time a 1911, building a bolt gun that will do .750” groups (3 shots I’m sure) shouldn’t be that big of a step.

I guess that's kind of what I find hard to accept about this rifle. It's a factory rifle for a custom rifle price and as you say it's not that hard to build a very accurate rifle so why isn't SA able to use the economy of scale their large company has to bear to make the price come down?

If it was a few hundred more than a Tika or the same price as doing it myself it would seem worth it. At twice the price of a Tika and more than the cost of doing it myself I'm asking myself why bother with this even if it is amazing.

User Tag List