Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SA Model 2020 Waypoint

SA Model 2020 Waypoint

I have to say I’m somewhat interested by what I’m seeing so far... it might make a decent out of the box rifle for not a lot of money.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/m...ypoint-rifles/

Name:  article-see-the-way-the-model-2020-waypoint-1.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  52.3 KB
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I agree, that looks great for the money.
    #RESIST

That rifle, with a 16 or 18" barrel option for use with a can, would be very tempting.

Just when the T3 Arctic becomes available in a similar price range...

https://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3x-...f5dd-159945184

Okie Jon
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

If I was to do it all over again, hell yeah.

Site Supporter
    I spend a lot more time now with bolt rifles in PRS like shooting plus just returning from hunting mule deer in Wyoming - this appears to be a lot of rifle for the money.

I am curious if they will develop one focused on PRS - heavier, longer barrel, chambered in 6 GT or "short" 6mms like BR or Dasher. Then offer a quick turnaround on 1x1 replacement for barrels or even better offer OEM replacement shouldered barrels that spin on and off with the home hobbyist shooter/gunsmith.

Site Supporter
    Honest question; seems like this would be considered in the same light as the Springfield Saint line of AR stuff. You guys seem stoked by it. I’m more likely to spend the same or less and get a Tikka CTR and a KRG chassis. Just wondering what I’m missing? Again, not bashing, I’m just thinking it’s a new (unproven) product from a 1911 company. I’m definitely not judging the product although I can hear the abrasive tone as I’m writing this. You guys make this sound like a great new release coming from an established long-range company like Tikka, etc. It seems like even the more budget options like Savage, Howa, et al have more of a track record. //wetblanket

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Honest question; seems like this would be considered in the same light as the Springfield Saint line of AR stuff. You guys seem stoked by it. I’m more likely to spend the same or less and get a Tikka CTR and a KRG chassis. Just wondering what I’m missing? Again, not bashing, I’m just thinking it’s a new (unproven) product from a 1911 company. I’m definitely not judging the product although I can hear the abrasive tone as I’m writing this. You guys make this sound like a great new release coming from an established long-range company like Tikka, etc. It seems like even the more budget options like Savage, Howa, et al have more of a track record. //wetblanket
    Good point—if people were calling this the next Glock killer, then we’d tear them apart. That said, it’s a LOT easier to get a bolt action right than a semi-auto pistol or an M-4 clone.

And while the Waypoint is a new product, it really just combines components that have been proven over time: the 700 action footprint and its stock interface, the stock itself, trigger, magazine, and barrel technology. This instantly gives the Waypoint a huge knowledge base among users and gunsmiths, massive aftermarket support, and ample points of departure for people who want something different.

The manufacturing team has to assemble everything well enough to meet the accuracy guarantee, but CNC makes that relatively straightforward. The real test will be the things that SA engineers had to design from scratch like the extractor and ejector.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

As I see it, SA does have a long history of rifle making - just not bolt guns.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List