Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CVN-81 USS Doris Miller

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Navel Naval Gazing...

I spy with my little appropriately naval eye ...
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    America has too many forgotten warfighting heroes to name our warships after anyone less. Dorie Miller is a perfect example - spent virtually his entirely too-short adult life in wartime military service and died all of 24 years old with a Navy Cross. I've met people that hadn't even moved out of their parents house at that age.

Naming warships after politicians? To hell with that.

I'll give a nod to the UK here, though, as they know how to name a warship for its own sake.
    This is one of the reasons why I love you man (some homo, don't make it weird. ).

We have a list of individuals who have won the: Medal of Honor, Navy Cross, Distinguished Service Cross, Air Force Cross, and Coast Guard Cross. When we've used up those names on vessels, planes, tanks, military bases, and government buildings - then we can start with Silver Star, Legion of Merit, and Defense Superior Service holders...

In my opinion only once we've exhausted the list of Purple Heart recipients should we start naming shit after politicians*.

*Politicians who are on the list of award recipients can be honored when their award comes up.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I know :-)

But imagine the conversation:
    Defeated enemy 1:"what the hell just happened?"
    Defeated enemy 2:"a Harriet just blew in".
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    "That was one hell of a tub, man!"
    I must confess, having a badass MBT called a Tubman so we could say those guys 'got tubbed' or 'got tubbed the fuck up' has some appeal

Then again @Zincwarrior had that great idea of an Iowa class battleship named stuff like 'Queen Anne's Revenge'. Which opens the door to 'oh yeah, the Annie went and blew the shit out of them'.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    This is one of the reasons why I love you man (some homo, don't make it weird. ).

We have a list of individuals who have won the: Medal of Honor, Navy Cross, Distinguished Service Cross, Air Force Cross, and Coast Guard Cross. When we've used up those names on vessels, planes, tanks, military bases, and government buildings - then we can start with Silver Star, Legion of Merit, and Defense Superior Service holders...

In my opinion only once we've exhausted the list of Purple Heart recipients should we start naming shit after politicians*.

*Politicians who are on the list of award recipients can be honored when their award comes up.
    Where's a brofist emoji when I need one? But yes, I am 100% down with that plan. Hell, there's a couple of CA National Guard helo crews with gigantic clanging brass ones that just received Distinguished Flying Crosses for saving 200 some Americans from CA wildfires when CA fire themselves said it was a suicide mission. Flying at low altitude in a helo through a fire is a Foreign-Object-Damage hell and borderlines on straight up insanity to attempt. When are we going to see some schools named after them? Likely never - so why not a helo carrier?

Where's a brofist emoji when I need one? But yes, I am 100% down with that plan. Hell, there's a couple of CA National Guard helo crews with gigantic clanging brass ones that just received Distinguished Flying Crosses for saving 200 some Americans from CA wildfires when CA fire themselves said it was a suicide mission. Flying at low altitude in a helo through a fire is a Foreign-Object-Damage hell and borderlines on straight up insanity to attempt. When are we going to see some schools named after them? Likely never - so why not a helo carrier?
    8000% in agreement.

I'm not gonna lie, between thinking about going out and getting my pilot's license lately in general, and then CA Nat Guard dudes I am suddenly thinking, "Dude, flying firefighting would be a legit 2nd career choice. Dangerous, challenging, and definitely in-demand..."

Site Supporter
    I'll give a nod to the UK here, though, as they know how to name a warship for its own sake.

One of the greatest trolls in naval history is the case of the USS/HMS President.

From wiki:

The British took President briefly into the Royal Navy as the 50-gun (later 60-gun) fourth-rate HMS President but broke up the dilapidated ship in 1818. They later built a 60-gun frigate which they also named President to the exact lines of the captured ship in 1829, despite some elements of the design (countered stern) being obsolete. This ship was used as a political statement as it was commanded by George Cockburn (who led the Burning of Washington) and made flagship of the North American station to remind the United States of its greatest losses during the War of 1812.
    You can’t really get mad at them because it was such a brilliant idea that you would have done it first if you had the opportunity.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    One of the greatest trolls in naval history is the case of the USS/HMS President.

From wiki:

You can’t really get mad at them because it was such a brilliant idea that you would have done it first if you had the opportunity.
    I can see it now, a logistics type ship named the USS Boston Tea Party...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

One of the sites I visit regularly has a random WWII related picture on each page. This one came up recently and reminded me of this thread

Name:  Doris Miller receiving the Navy Cross award from Admiral Chester Nimitz, onboard carrier Enterpr.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  35.2 KB

Doris Miller receiving the Navy Cross award from Admiral Chester Nimitz, onboard USS Enterprise, Pearl Harbor, US Territory of Hawaii, 27 May 1942
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I would be extremely proud to serve aboard the Dorie Miller.

User Tag List