Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Micro Chest Rigs

Micro Chest Rigs

Who's running a mini/micro rig, like the Ferro Chesty, Spiritus Micro fight, Spiritus Bank Robber, Haley D3CRM, or similar? What role does it fill for you, and what are you loading it with?

I use a haley micro set up with either the triple 5.56 insert or occasionally the subgun insert. Most of it's use is as a placard attached to a mayflower/ velocity systems plate carrier. I've got several of the velocity placards and a EGL custom built chest rig that I use interchangeably depending on what is being carried. The micro would make a dandy grab and go rig in a Vic, but I haven't used it that way yet. All I carry on it is ammo and a few small tools. Both comms and IFAK are separate which can be a issue with the micro rigs across the board. Dangler pouches in the front are great until you spend any amount of time on your stomach....
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Spiritus Micro Chest Rig

The Micro chest rig is one of my favorite pieces of kit. The versatility is unmatched. Fortunately, I bought mine before they became unobtanium. I use mine primarily on as a placard on body armor. It also works great as a chest rig when I'm on the range or taking a class and don't want to wear body armor. I've used several chest rigs in the past but it's the only one that has ever felt like it fits right.

I use it with the 556 or 762 mag holders as well as AXL zippers. On my last AT hike, I wore it as a chest rig to carry a Glock 19 (with the AXL zipper) and used the front part to carry some miscellaneous items. It worked great. It works with small binos as well to use as a hunting rig. It wouldn't work for full size binos, such as 8x40 or 10x40, you'd need a dedicated bino harness.

Bottom line, great kit...if you can catch one at a fair price.

I’ve been using an assortment of pouches with a HPG Recon Bag for a few years; currently have it set up for HD, supporting a shotgun.

Great for classes and as a minimalist chest rig. Probably would suck if worn over a PC due to the strap fitment.

If one were to have a bunch of molle pouches that were already purchased and no need for wear with armor, I’d think the HPG option would be cheaper than a Ferro, Spiritus, or whatever vogue brand.

Not to reiterate my opinion but I feel for the “everyman” there is probably a kit bag option that would work and be just a little lower profile, ceteris paribus.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I have a very small chest rig that has a single purpose - it hangs from the bedpost for when things go bump in the night. It has a neckstrap and a chest strap, and only carries two carbine mags and two smaller items - I carry a pistol mag and a Surefire. It has a small plate pocket that I haven’t used. I can’t remember who made it, unfortunately - I’ve had it about ten years. It’s great because I can quickly sling it over my head and wear it like a bib.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Who's running a mini/micro rig, like the Ferro Chesty, Spiritus Micro fight, Spiritus Bank Robber, Haley D3CRM, or similar? What role does it fill for you, and what are you loading it with?
    Thought I’d help out anyone else that didn’t know what most of those were from having to go google them...

https://ferroconcepts.com/collections/chest-rigs

https://www.spiritussystems.com/shop...nt/chest-rigs/

https://www.spiritussystems.com/bank-robber-chest-rig/

https://haleystrategic.com/d3crm-micro

And now having seen all of those, I’ll recommend the one that I use and helped design.
    https://store.usgruntgear.com/m1rarelitrma.html

I wasn’t aware that any of the above would really be considered “micro” but I suppose that in the world of LARP where people are strapping on 10 mags, a BOK, and a Bowie knife maybe they are.

I’ve been a proponent of this style chest rig for over a decade, starting back with the Eagle M4LE rigs (that mine is designed to copy but also further reduce bulk).

The key is to use the chest rig to back-feed your main pouch (belt, pocket, Reid mag, whatever). Assuming you’re a non-LE civilian like me and the idea that you would exhaust a mag in the gun and one emergency reload and THEN need to pull from the chest rig is pretty fanciful. But go take one higher-volume gunskool class and you’ll likely get a chance to try it anyway.

Like others my chest rig is also designed to attach to my mayflower armor carrier if needed but outside of gunskool it’s never been “needed”. Ice to have, kind of thing...
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

The SOE micro rig is pretty sold as well. I use my shotgun one for range use, competition, and I keep it in my car in an old gas mask pouch next to my shockwave.

Attachment 61156

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    For quite a while I used a rig that was very similar to these, although I assembled it myself. It was a BFG rig with, I think, a TT or maybe maxpedition? admin pack on one side which held FAK stuff mostly, a tourniquet it the middle, and then a double AR mag shingle, with BFG elastic AR double overtop. With two mags in the shingle it sat really flat, but you could put another two mags in the elastic pouches if you were doing stuff that made it inconvenient to keep running back and grabbing mags.

Only reason I stopped using it was I lost it during a vehicle break-in while moving. It was my primary rig and did everything I needed except carry plates, which thankfully never mattered.

Name:  2013-09-23 14.09.27.jpg
Views: 2507
Size:  49.8 KB

After this pic I slapped a FAK cross on the admin kit to ID it. Also an 80s-colour palette patch that said "Uzis, Floozies and Jacuzzis" that I really miss.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    I started casually chest rig shopping just before the pandemic kicked off. Unfortunately, most of the decent micro-style rigs have become all but unobtainable. The pandemic, panic buying, airsofters, and a business model revolving around "drops" (where you've got about 2 minutes after a restock to get all your items in your cart and checkout) have made it pretty difficult.

A buddy of mine recently picked up the Underground Partisan chest rig from Gadsden Dynamics. It seems similar in design to the Spiritus Bank Robber, but can be used as a PC placard.
    https://www.gadsdendynamics.com/coll...isan-chest-rig
    (Incidentally, this one is currently sold-out as well)

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    What are you looking to do with it? What do you plan to carry on it?

Of the ones on your list, I have the Bank Robber which is great for just carrying mags while training or for a grab and go type of thing. I would buy another in a heartbeat but Spiritus seems to think the SupDef business model is a good one where they do limited drops every six months so I've given up trying to find another in stock.

User Tag List