Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Micro Chest Rigs

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    I have the Eagle and yep that Grunt Gear one looks real similar! Never understood why the Eagle was discontinued -- I LOVE mine! Looks like Grunt has 2 less PALS row on the wing panels to get that tapered line, and then no Kydex inserts?
    The pouches are still reinforced, but Instead of kydex they use pvc, which I’ve come to prefer.

Yes the taper on the sides was a request of mine. Tactical Tailor used to make a blank pals rig that tapered like that. Basically my design was to merge the Eagle with the tapered backer and add an un-padded chest rig. He also did a custom rig for me with a pouch hard-stitched in to take the
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I have the SOE Micro and a Tactical Tailor Mini Mav I built out. I prefer the TT but honestly all the due is sit in my nylon box since my carbine use is so low.

I'm using an older Gadsden Dynamic Underground Partisan for Run N Gun up to 15K distance. Been using it a few years. Works well for my use. As someone said, I can roll it up and stuff it in a bag. I run 3 AR mags and 2 pistol mags (in an AR mag slot). Only thing I'd consider changing to would be a Spiritus Microfight. Disclaimer: I have no experience with armor.

Name:  45523860_10215089399161757_3684614428482863104_o.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  54.0 KB

happy shooting, Jerry
    "Draw fast, shoot well," Mike W.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I'm thinking of a scalable, easy to throw in a pack, versatile unit to carry a couple of rifle mags and maybe TQ/meds. Mostly in a lo-vis, under a jacket, role. I have a Unity Clutch, which works well, too. I have a battle belt that can support a rifle/pistol. I also have hard and soft armor, which are both slick, and maybe could utilize the placard type versatility of these systems.

So, as a non-LE civilian, I'm just looking for better ideas and seeing what others are doing with theirs
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I seem to remember one (or more) of our members here recommending a bandolier, like the Blue Force Gear one, instead of some sort of chest rig. I don't remember the argument for it, but it seemed logical at the time.
    That was likely me. My use case is uniformed patrol duty. It holds 3x 20 rd P-Mags on one side, and the contents of a TacMed DOK + QC distributed in the other pouches.
    Beyond that, my chest rig use has been quite limited, to include an Eagle LE rig and SOE M4/12 guage/COP rigs.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I was thinking of using a micro rig like those mentioned here for a class I am running my CZ Scorpion in. Does this type of rig impede an AWIB draw?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I seem to remember one (or more) of our members here recommending a bandolier, like the Blue Force Gear one, instead of some sort of chest rig. I don't remember the argument for it, but it seemed logical at the time.
    That may have been me. When I was still relevant, I used bandoleers if I wasn't going to put on the plate carrier. Bandoleers are quick to don and doff. You're more likely to throw one on when the plate carrier or chest rig gets left back in the cruiser or hanging from the bedpost upstairs.

The Blue Force Gear bandoleer will carry up to six AR-15 magazines. I carried three. It has a waist belt which stabilizes it and makes presentation of magazines surer. You do have to take the time to clip it together or it will drag behind you. The elastic magazine pouches are open-topped so you're limited in what you carry in them other than rifle magazines or something similarly sized..

Eagle Industries no longer makes their rifle bandoleer, but Blackhawk offers a similar product. I have no idea of the quality as I've never seen one in the wild. The bandoleer allows carriage of four AR-15 magazines and two pistol magazines in flapped pouches. The rifle mag compartments on mine are too tight to allow one-handed presentation of Magpul P-Mags. If I ever have the need to carry my rifle again, I'd either run with one P-Mag in each pouch or invest in G.I. magazines. If you don't want or need pistol magazines, you could use the pistol pouches for a flashlight, multitool, or something similar. If I ever roll out with a rifle again, the Eagle bandoleer would be my go-to.

I also used an Eagle shotgun bandoleer which carried up to ten shotgun rounds and two pistol magazines. This lived on the driver's headrest of Stock 196. If I bailed out with the shotgun, I could quickly slip that on. Unfortunately, neither Eagle nor Blackhawk makes that design.

Discussion of bandoleers may lead to consideration of "active shooter bags" or "bailout bags" which are also fast to sling up. The good thing and bad thing about bags is the amount of gear many end up carrying. While the gear may be invaluable, it may also weigh you down and make finding and presenting a specific item challenging at the moment of truth, especially if they don't set up your magazines for quick withdrawal.
    Last edited by jnc36rcpd; 12-07-2021 at 06:01 PM.

I just bought a Modular Chest Pack and a dangler (AMP) from RDRgear.

https://rdrgear.com/collections/bags-gear

I'm not affiliated in any way, I just thought they looked like a good option for me. They're something I've looked at for awhile, and bought on sale for black friday.

I have one of the older Gadsden dynamic ones. I like it. I don’t use it much but it’s nice to have just rolled up with a couple mags in it. The invrt bandolier looks interesting I think I would move the pistol mag though
    https://ic13.us/product/invrt-bandoleer-ar15-kit-black/
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Quote Originally Posted by 23JAZ View Post
    I was thinking of using a micro rig like those mentioned here for a class I am running my CZ Scorpion in. Does this type of rig impede an AWIB draw?
    Now that I have one, and got it adjusted to me, I'm going to say yes. My RDR rig with a small dangler style pouch ruins my normal AIWB drawstroke. Unless I draw straight back to a #2 position, it's in the way for me to draw normally because my drawstroke is fairly close to my body.

This doesn't bug me a ton. AIWB is how I daily carry and hide. My personal use for the chest rig is for the range, possibly hunting, or the end of the world. Two of those uses have me completely unconcerned with concealing my handgun. Hunting I'll carry concealed, but am still openly carrying a long gun. So not super concerned. For me, the chest rig is just removed from the need for concealmemt. I'm sure for others thats different, but for me it's mostly going to be used in a place where it's obvious I'm armed anyway.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 23JAZ View Post
    Yes it does, at least for a Shivworks style AIWB draw where keeping the gun from “floating” off of your body during the draw until you’re ready to extend to the number 4 position is paramount. There are ways around it, but if you have already preprogrammed thousands of reps worth of AIWB draws, and only occasionally use a chest rig, it’s not worth the hassle of trying to reprogram.

If I’m using a chest rig, concealment is of diminished priority, and thus I wouldn’t bother carrying AIWB in such circumstances.

But if I just want an extra mag or two for a rifle or PCC on me, I see no reason to bother with even a micro chest rig. I’ll just carry the extra mags in easy on/off belt pouches. That way I can still carry and draw AIWB, the exact same way I do 99.9% of the time if I’m carrying something other than a pocketed J-frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Tag List