Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Got a 2nd Gen 5 Glock 34 this month!

Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    I am wondering if I should sell my Beretta Vertec to fund a Gen5 Glock 34. I found one but I was hoping to buy a Glock 45MOS...
    That's up to you. I have owned like 28 Beretta 92 variants over 25+ years. At one time, I've had as many as 9 at one time. Now, I just have 1 - an M9A3.

I love the platform, but have had a few issues here and there. And, while I only have 1 right now (an original M9A3 - from the very first batch made in MD, before they moved to TN), I don't plan on selling it.

But, I have sold many guns over the years, to buy something else I wanted... Heck, I just sold a Beretta APX and a P99 to cover the cost of a 2nd Glock 34 - the one I just sent off to Taran Tactical.

If ya really want the Glock, and that is the only way you can get it... Go for it... If ya want a Beretta later, you can always work that out in the future...

Over the years - I've bought the same gun before, many times over... It's not like you cannot get a Beretta again - some day in the future...

Site Supporter
    I am wondering if I should sell my Beretta Vertec to fund a Gen5 Glock 34. I found one but I was hoping to buy a Glock 45MOS...
    What is your purpose for the gun ?

What do you carry at work / on deployment ? Langdon can put a dot on Vertec slides.

If you go glock, a 45 MOS with a Comp would be 34 length.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-05-2020 at 12:32 PM.

Site Supporter
    I’m more inclined to the 45MOS, personally.

I have a standard G19X. I know where a blue label G45 is but they have not said if it is MOS or not.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    What is your purpose for the gun ?

What do you carry at work / on deployment ? Langdon can put a dot on Vertec slides.

If you go glock, a 45 MOS with a Comp would be 34 length.
    I did the comp things back in the 1990s. Always had issues with reliability. I wouldn't recommend it for a self defense gun on a Glock

Site Supporter
    I have a standard G19X. I know where a blue label G45 is but they have not said if it is MOS or not.
    I couldn't find a G45 MOS over the summer, came across a barely used G45 at the local shop, like someone bought and shot it once then sold it barely used.
    I sent the slide off to to Lone Wolff and had it cut for a RMR.

I have a G34.5 MOS as well, looking through the dot can't say they are much different. Shooting irons I think I would notice.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
    I did the comp things back in the 1990s. Always had issues with reliability. I wouldn't recommend it for a self defense gun on a Glock
    Suffice to say, it's not the 90's anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Suffice to say, it's not the 90's anymore.
    True, but it is still the same... Longer, ported barrel with something attached to the end of it to match up against the slide... How is that any different now than it was back in the 1990s? Nothing magic has happened to the concept between then and now...

Also, I just read a post (I forget what forum - I am on them all) over the weekend... Dealt with that very issue... Someone who was very familiar with comps on Glocks talked about how you needed to use a certain weight round, and it needed to hit a certain velocity, otherwise the Glock with the comp would not be 100% reliable.

On a self defense gun, an aftermarket comp is a bad idea. A range gun - fine... Knock yourself out....

A factory ported gun... Fine... Although, I never thought porting was a good idea on a self defense gun. But, that's all opinion...

Anyway, you don't get the sight radius on a G45 with a comp vs a Glock 34. And, I wouldn't use an aftermarket comp on anything besides a range toy if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
    True, but it is still the same... Longer, ported barrel with something attached to the end of it to match up against the slide... How is that any different now than it was back in the 1990s? Nothing magic has happened to the concept between then and now...

Also, I just read a post (I forget what forum - I am on them all) over the weekend... Dealt with that very issue... Someone who was very familiar with comps on Glocks talked about how you needed to use a certain weight round, and it needed to hit a certain velocity, otherwise the Glock with the comp would not be 100% reliable.

On a self defense gun, an aftermarket comp is a bad idea. A range gun - fine... Knock yourself out....

A factory ported gun... Fine... Although, I never thought porting was a good idea on a self defense gun. But, that's all opinion...

Anyway, you don't get the sight radius on a G45 with a comp vs a Glock 34. And, I wouldn't use an aftermarket comp on anything besides a range toy if I were you.
    I don't personally understand this reliability argument against carry comps. Many of us have built various carry comps that work with virtually any round used in it.
    But, just for the sake of argument, let's assume you have comped a pistol and find out it only works reliably with hotter loads. In 9mm's the issue, if it exists, is almost always with standard or low power 115gr rounds. So what? Are you planning to load 115gr FMJ as your carry round?
    If your comped gun proves to be 100% with duty rounds I fail to see the issue with carrying it for self defense. As far as practice goes, you just have to man up and pay a bit more for 124 or 147gr FMJ.
    JMHO... YMMV.
    Last edited by GearFondler; 10-05-2020 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    I don't personally understand this reliability argument against carry comps. Many of us have built various carry comps that work with virtually any round used in it.
    But, just for the sake of argument, let's assume you have comped a pistol and find out it only works reliably with hotter loads. In 9mm's the issue, if it exists, is almost always with standard or low power 115gr rounds. So what? Are you planning to load 115gr FMJ as your carry round?
    If your comped gun proves to be 100% with duty rounds I fail to see the issue with carrying it for self defense. As far as practice goes, you just have to man up and pay a bit more for 124 or 148gr FMJ.
    JMHO... YMMV.
    I haven't messed with a comp since the 1990s. But I did not find them reliable.

I've had a factory 1911 that had a carry comp, and I loved it. But after my experience with an aftermarket Glock comps, I personally would never go down that road again for a gun I use in self defense. That's all I am saying based on my experience. And, I have have seen others on forums who state the same thing...

And, I assume you meant 147gr FMJ...

User Tag List