Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Visualizing the trigger press.

Had a similar experience yesterday. I was working hard at accuracy, and really trying to compare the trigger feel between two Glocks- minus connector vs minus/NY1. I was hard focused on the front sight and "feeling" the trigger press all the way through. For the first time in a long time I was totally surprised when a shot broke. Need to remember to do that more often.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by bdcheung View Post
    John Murphy taught me a drill where you, with a loaded pistol, squeeze the trigger just to the breaking point and then back off. You will inevitably have discharges. But the drill is to get you to really pay attention to the trigger press and movement. Try it sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Phrasing!!!

Can't remember where I'd heard this before, but I've been doing that with my Glock and M&P for about 6-7 months and it has helped immensely on low percentage first shots.

This reminds me of the concept of learning to drive a stick shift.... It doesn't really make sense until you see how an actual clutch works. Visualizing what is going on inside of a mechanical device makes it easier to understand the subtleties of its use. Great post, definitely something to try during dryfire/range time.

Interesting, I've begun using the term "stroke the trigger" lately when describing a string of fire. It makes sense when trying to get shooters to reset the trigger during the dead time of the recoil cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Interesting, I've begun using the term "stroke the trigger" lately when describing a string of fire. It makes sense when trying to get shooters to reset the trigger during the dead time of the recoil cycle.
    That is the exact verbage I used when I finally figured out the LEM trigger. (I was shooting peterb's gun and that was the only word I could think of to describe the feeling)

I think that the term stroke also works best when helping newer shooters develooe accurate strings of fire.
    I train to be better than I was yesterday. -F2S

In a LAV pistol class this weekend Larry referred to shooting the GLOCK like a miniature DA and imagining a small little hammer in there as you roll through the trigger.
    Man did that really click with me today.
    I think coming from a 1911 background I always really thought of the trigger as a button, but rolling through like a tiny DA is much more fitting for the GLOCK.
    Pittsburgh, PA host for www.aliastraining.com , and www.shivworks.com

www.anti-fragile.net

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    In a LAV pistol class this weekend Larry referred to shooting the GLOCK like a miniature DA and imagining a small little hammer in there as you roll through the trigger.
    Man did that really click with me today.
    I think coming from a 1911 background I always really thought of the trigger as a button, but rolling through like a tiny DA is much more fitting for the GLOCK.
    That's pretty cool. I like the verbiage and imagery.

I have been working on my trigger press using a snubnose revolver and I did notice that I often did a "jackrabbit start" during my trigger press.

I used to fly hang-gliders and we would pick them up and run down the hill to launch them. The idea was to be running as fast as you could before the glider left the ground so that you have the most energy in the glider for controlability. Beginners often get confused and begin their run at full speed, going from dead stop to 15 MPH in the first step. This is not a good idea when you are carrying 70 lbs of glider on your shoulders. You must start slow, with a walk for the first step and then accelerate. Starting from a full run is called a "jackrabbit start" and will cause the glider to jerk in your hands as it begins to move.

Anyway I find that when on the firing line and the buzzer goes off I wish to "react quickly" to the buzzer. I tend to mash the trigger because I am trying to shorten my reaction time. I think this is similar to the "jackrabbit start" I described above. While it is true I need to react quickly to the buzzer, that really means start the trigger press quickly. I should incrementally speed up my press not worry about shortenning my time to the trigger break. I believe this is why people say practice revolver shooting to improve your trigger press, it is impossible to jam the trigger quickly like it was a single action trigger.

You must start slow and smooth. I have not seen anyone else discuss this. So perhaps it is not the best way to think about it, but it was helpful for me. Also I have been doing some dry fire to try and incorporate "reaction time" as well as smooth trigger press (doing the wall drill with a shot timer to give me a random noise to react to). MY goal is to have practiced shorttening my reaction time so hopefully I will not get "over excited" and mash the trigger when I am under pressure to complete a shot quickly.

My first comment was a bit off topic (about trigger press, not really about visualization), this is about visualization

I do remember reading somewhere the suggestion that during dry fire you should watch your trigger finger move.
    This would help your brain make the connection between how the trigger feels and what you want it to do.

I do know that our brains have "mirror neurons" and we are designed to learn by watching other people do a task. So this makes sense that you can help learn the geometry of the trigger press by watching your finger motion.

User Tag List