Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Research on Ready Positions

Site Supporter

Research on Ready Positions

For the “low ready is no ready” crowd, here is some new research on how low ready can greatly reduce the chances of mistake of fact shootings.

https://www.calibrepress.com/2020/09...c26b-177279637

This is not the first research to show this. Aveni's study on ambiguous shootings found the same thing. There was an earlier study done in the Pac NW that several authors have referenced which reached the same conclusions. Once is interesting. Three different studies from three different authors at three different times tends to get my attention.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I always like Bill Roger's ready position... I forget the name, but find myself using it a fair bit.

Gun is sighted, confirmed under the eye, muzzle ~45 angle down, arms are slightly extended...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    I always like Bill Roger's ready position... I forget the name, but find myself using it a fair bit.

Gun is sighted, confirmed under the eye, muzzle ~45 angle down, arms are slightly extended...
    That is essentially Low Ready, or Guard.

Chuck Taylor (RIP) was a big advocate of the "ready position". So much so Chuck built the ready position into his draw stroke. Chuck's ready position was based on the proximity to the target. The idea being to keep the muzzle directed low enough to keep it off the target. Chuck also wanted the gun below the line of sight so the target was in full unobstructed view. If in the heat of the moment a round was inadvertently unleashed it would not impact the target.

Chuck ran plenty of drills where the drill started at the Ready. Incidentally we discovered that a master grip on a holstered gun was darn near just as fast to the first shot as from the Ready. Especially for those proficient at drawing form the holster who rarely practice from the Ready.

Chuck's teaching mantra, "Draw to the Ready, Up, Look, Press". Much of Chuck's rational was based upon the ready position being a relatively safe place to keep a drawn firearm when the decision to shoot has not yet been made. (Argue why it's out elsewhere.)

Most folks who were fast and smooth employing Taylor's technique when drawing directly to the point go straight for holster to the point. A very Rob Leatham like draw. Occasionally a few shooters would get a bowling look to their draw driving down from the holster to the ready (because they thought their ready position needed to be very low) then up to the point.

Chuck always stressed he was teaching a technique that was best for the average man on the street, not a gamer or a soldier. Chuck wasn't a big fan of the Compressed Ready or the Press Out where the muzzle was on target before the gun reached the typical firing position. Chuck looked at those techniques as having the potential to get the student into a legal jackpot, especially with a massive adrenalin dump and a tightened sphincter. Chuck always stressed there are two fights, the gun fight and the legal fight afterward. Chuck consistently pointed out that there was no defense for accidently shooting someone in the heat of the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post

Genuinely curious - How does one get into that position off the range without muzzling the individual initially?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Genuinely curious - How does one get into that position off the range without muzzling the individual initially?
    You draw to that position instead of drawing to a firing position. The muzzle is never brought to the horizontal like it is with a normal draw stroke. Low ready can be executed in such a way that the muzzle of your gun is never pointing at any part of the subject's body.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    You draw to that position instead of drawing to a firing position. The muzzle is never brought to the horizontal like it is with a normal draw stroke. Low ready can be executed in such a way that the muzzle of your gun is never pointing at any part of the subject's body.
    Oh, I’m really familiar with drawing to an actual low ready and working from there.

My question must have been poorly worded or unclear ... if the gun is first sighted, then lowered, how do you sight the gun without muzzling the target?

Looks to me like you asked the right question.

I've seen it done in classes/drills. Someone will draw to the point, check their natural point of aim, lower the gun to the Ready, maybe even bring it up a time or two checking and then wait for the commencement of the drill. It's stacking the deck and has no application outside of timed marksmanship on the square range.

Off the range it would not be advisable.

Oh, I’m really familiar with drawing to an actual low ready and working from there.

My question must have been poorly worded or unclear ... if the gun is first sighted, then lowered, how do you sight the gun without muzzling the target?
    My understanding—from Bill's book and video, not personal experience—is that this refers to drawing to low ready without muzzling the target, then looking to confirm sight alignment, not sight picture, so that if it becomes necessary to shoot, one simply raises the gun to eye level by lifting with the arms without changing the angle of the wrists.

User Tag List