Thread: Concealed options for flight suit wearers.

Concealed options for flight suit wearers.

Our base just got the go ahead to allow concealed carry on-base. Our unit's utility uniform is a flight suit. Besides a shoulder or ankle holster, is anyone currently using another carry method which is comfortable enough for the entire day? Open carry and off-body carry are also not viable.

Pistol is a P30sk or P30. Thanks.

I used to wear a Kramer Confidant shirt under my flight suit. You can actually get to your pistol fairly quickly with just a pull of the zipper.

Site Supporter
    I used to use a Null SKR with a J frame under my flight suit. I know its a shoulder rig but it was lighter than all others and was of a design that suited (no pun intended) the specific role. What pistol are you attempting to conceal?

I would say the shape and cut of a flight suit will not lend itself well to a holster somewhere on your torso. Shoulder holster might work with a flat pistol. Maybe the concealed vest/shirt would work, as long as it does not get hot. Might need a few vests flying in the south, given how sweaty and smelly they would get. AIWB would print, and look quite hilarious. Same with hip/SOB. My first preference would be an ankle holster over the top of my flight boots. You might need to change the size of your flight suits in order to comfortably carry regularly.

An issue I would have is are you allowed to remove the pistol and store it securely in your car? If I had a J-frame in an ankle holster, I would not have been able to put a g-suit on properly and fly with it. Plus the ejection issues associated with a lump of steel on my ankle. This might not be an issue for your airframe.

Just make sure you keep your reputation as a pilot intact. Photo attached below:

Name:  08224DC3-ABC7-498F-BE93-8A6F313BDAA4.jpeg
Views: 427
Size:  47.4 KB
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Site Supporter
    I guess it depends on your flight suits design. Right now, all I have are one-pieces. I’ve worn a shoulder rig under a jacket but that rig would be visible worn inside the suit. I’m a helicopter/ transport fixed-wing guy so a ankle rig would work well but get sweaty in the helicopter. A pocket-gun in a pocket holster would work well in the large front zipper pockets we have. I actually carried my M9 in one pocket (ankle) and three magazines in the other on my first two deployments to prove a point when they wouldn’t issue the pilots shoulder holsters or war belts. All they gave us was the holster.

Just curious, what service? Just active duty, or retired while on base as well?

Semper Fi
    Ed

User Tag List