Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict thread

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    This right here is why Russia will never pull out of Syria. They need that port on the outside of the Black Sea. This gives them a Toe in the Mediterranean.

@Suvorov
    I read somewhere that the Chechens are back in the Russian Army now? is that correct. Did the Russians give them enough of what they want to let them back into the confederation. I saw something that they had been attending the SPETZ school house. That whole region from the Caspian Sea to the Black Sea is a shit sandwich.
    Yeah. Moscow has seemed to make nice with the Chechens (at least the ones in power - for now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Yeah. Moscow has seemed to make nice with the Chechens (at least the ones in power - for now.)
    Sounds like a Deal with the Devil you know. With Dagestan right there and Azerbijan and Armenia and on Top of it Georgia, that whole little area could just implode any day.

The US has been friendly with Armenia for several years. They’re not very friendly with Turkey at the moment. If this escalates it will be interesting to see how the US handles it.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    The US has been friendly with Armenia for several years. They’re not very friendly with Turkey at the moment. If this escalates it will be interesting to see how the US handles it.
    A "friendly" relationship simply because there's no end-game we're competing for there at odds with any part of the government. Armenia is reliant on Russia for defense, as well as Russia owning/operating most of their economy; some assert it's basically a puppet state of Russia.

So, there's not much of an opportunity for us to give them anything when they're already getting it from elsewhere and don't have an option to get it elsewhere even if they wanted to.

Turkey is much more strategic. My guess is we'd find a way to support Turkey as a way of trying to bring them back in line with US/NATO interests instead of continuing down their path of destructive man-child petulance. Entirely possible they might tell us to fuck off and just buy shit from the Russians or Chinese, since both countries have no problem selling shit to opposing belligerents with no strings attached.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    To my mind, the question of US, UK, and broader NATO involvement will be dictated directly by the need (real or perceived) to keep Russia 'contained'.

In my opinion, there is no substantial reason, other than historical, to keep Russia 'contained' at this stage.

I have less than zero inclination for the U.S. to offer any kind of military aid to Turkey. I am constantly on the lookout to actively vote out politicians who support Turkey.

My sympathies to the innocent people who will be greatly affected by turmoil in this region, because two dictators (Erdogan and Putin) are having an ego clash.

My larger concern is that such hotbeds of activity inevitable produce viable recruiting venues for Radical Islam, particularly when there is Turkey, Iran, and Russia involved - it's ultimately a clash of Radicalized Islam and economic interests. At this point, I'm really wondering when the U.S. will need to focus Psy-Ops efforts into this region more than it is currently?
    What do you mean by historical? IMO, justification for containment isn’t hard. It was still less than a century ago that we avoided containment at all costs and then by the time we realized this appeasement had failed, we had to fight damn near all of Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    What do you mean by historical? IMO, justification for containment isn’t hard. It was still less than a century ago that we avoided containment at all costs and then by the time we realized this appeasement had failed, we had to fight damn near all of Europe.

I disagree whole heartedly. Justification for containment is extremely difficult to achieve, these days.

The historical policy of containment (Cold War) is directly responsible for every U.S war and most military actions since WW2. Korea, Vietnam, everything that we did in Central and South America, and all the shit from the mid-east was all done in the name of containment of communism or because of fallout from containment policies.

There are still some (not many, but a few), who view it as the responsibility of the U.S. to check Russian growth, it isn't.

Right now, we'd do well to let Turkey and Russia have their little proxy war, our play is low key intelligence gathering and psychological operations to sow dissent and hamper radical Islam recruiting efforts.

@RevolverRob

You do understand that religion has nothing to do with this war, right?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

The historical policy of containment (Cold War) is directly responsible for every U.S war and most military actions since WW2. Korea, Vietnam, everything that we did in Central and South America, and all the shit from the mid-east was all done in the name of containment of communism or because of fallout from containment policies.
    Agreed but why shouldn’t we be concerned about it anymore? What’s changed that made it a non-issue if Russia overtly owns 90% of Europe?

Apparently there are Russian gas and oil pipelines run through the area.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    A "friendly" relationship simply because there's no end-game we're competing for there at odds with any part of the government. Armenia is reliant on Russia for defense, as well as Russia owning/operating most of their economy; some assert it's basically a puppet state of Russia.

So, there's not much of an opportunity for us to give them anything when they're already getting it from elsewhere and don't have an option to get it elsewhere even if they wanted to.

Turkey is much more strategic. My guess is we'd find a way to support Turkey as a way of trying to bring them back in line with US/NATO interests instead of continuing down their path of destructive man-child petulance. Entirely possible they might tell us to fuck off and just buy shit from the Russians or Chinese, since both countries have no problem selling shit to opposing belligerents with no strings attached.
    I understand what you are saying. We have been training their soldiers both in Armenia and here for several years. We have also been doing humanitarian missions in Armenia for several years. I know that has little to do with how things shake out diplomatically or strategically during a conflict but it does add another layer to the complexity of the situation.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List