Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict thread

Looks like the Black Sea Rotational Force deployments just got a lot more interesting....
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Site Supporter
    Keeping the Russians in the Black Sea was to keep them from threatening the Suez Canal so Britain could rule India. That's kind of over.

Your comment on the 40 year olds was telling. I've just got done reading about the effects of WWI on the Austria-Hungarian empire. There was a good deal of discussion how in extremis, calling up that age group was a disaster as they were obese, no stamina and couldn't march. They were likely to desert when they could. However, they were brave if in fortifications.

Same for a book about the Franco-Prussian war - France's professional army was clobbered and calling up reserves was a flop.

This is interesting. There is always a discussion about how some guns are designed to wound because it takes 5 guys to get the wounded off field. Well, that may be a fact but there's no evidence that guns were specifically designed to do that. However, the 5 guy story might come about from the tendency of troops not really into it, to leap to taking their comrades back if wounded and not being enthused about returning to the front after taking them back.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Keeping the Russians in the Black Sea was to keep them from threatening the Suez Canal so Britain could rule India. That's kind of over.

Your comment on the 40 year olds was telling. I've just got done reading about the effects of WWI on the Austria-Hungarian empire. There was a good deal of discussion how in extremis, calling up that age group was a disaster as they were obese, no stamina and couldn't march. They were likely to desert when they could. However, they were brave if in fortifications.

Same for a book about the Franco-Prussian war - France's professional army was clobbered and calling up reserves was a flop.

This is interesting. There is always a discussion about how some guns are designed to wound because it takes 5 guys to get the wounded off field. Well, that may be a fact but there's no evidence that guns were specifically designed to do that. However, the 5 guy story might come about from the tendency of troops not really into it, to leap to taking their comrades back if wounded and not being enthused about returning to the front after taking them back.
    Effectively moving a casualty over distance when everybody is in kit is definitely easier if you have four or five guys on it.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Did turkey not shoot down a military jet or aircraft already as part of the conflict? I think I saw something last night or this morning but didn't dig in further. Also heard Turkey, Russia and Iran are getting involved in the conflict to varying degrees so could get worse.
    Armenia is claiming a Turkish F16 shot down one of their Su-25’s something like 60 kilometers in Armenian airspace. They are also claiming the F16 was launched out of Azerbaijan.

To my mind, the question of US, UK, and broader NATO involvement will be dictated directly by the need (real or perceived) to keep Russia 'contained'.

In my opinion, there is no substantial reason, other than historical, to keep Russia 'contained' at this stage.

I have less than zero inclination for the U.S. to offer any kind of military aid to Turkey. I am constantly on the lookout to actively vote out politicians who support Turkey.

My sympathies to the innocent people who will be greatly affected by turmoil in this region, because two dictators (Erdogan and Putin) are having an ego clash.

My larger concern is that such hotbeds of activity inevitable produce viable recruiting venues for Radical Islam, particularly when there is Turkey, Iran, and Russia involved - it's ultimately a clash of Radicalized Islam and economic interests. At this point, I'm really wondering when the U.S. will need to focus Psy-Ops efforts into this region more than it is currently?

Site Supporter
    Erdogan's long overdue for a generous injection of bonded JHP's. His Generals and his Army are deserving of the same.

I'm not a fan of new wars, but after seeing how Turkey did us in northern Syria, I'd volunteer tomorrow for another deployment if it was to deliver Turkey a long, long overdue ass kicking.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Erdogan's long overdue for a generous injection of bonded JHP's. His Generals and his Army are deserving of the same.
    I was thinking a 'Flying Ginsu' bomb up the ass.

Whatever it is, that dude should be fucking dead. He should have been dead the minute his cronies put hands on American citizens on U.S. Soil. This is why I'll NEVER be president. Some fucking tinpot dictator puts hands on American citizens on U.S. soil? I'd be over there in a flash to put the bullet in his skull my own damn self.

But that's just how I would roll at POTUS, probably a little too much 'This is Sparta' in my leadership style. But I'm kind of a hothead from time-to-time (I'm sure no one here has ever noticed that...) and I'm definitely not one for 'diplomacy' when you fuck with my people.

I'm not a fan of new wars, but after seeing how Turkey did us in northern Syria, I'd volunteer tomorrow for another deployment if it was to deliver Turkey a long, long overdue ass kicking.
    Shit dude, I'm too old to enlist in everything except the Air Force and I'd still join up if it meant I could drop the Ginsu-bomb on that motherfucker.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I was thinking a 'Flying Ginsu' bomb up the ass.

Whatever it is, that dude should be fucking dead. He should have been dead the minute his cronies put hands on American citizens on U.S. Soil. This is why I'll NEVER be president. Some fucking tinpot dictator puts hands on American citizens on U.S. soil? I'd be over there in a flash to put the bullet in his skull my own damn self.

But that's just how I would roll at POTUS, probably a little too much 'This is Sparta' in my leadership style. But I'm kind of a hothead from time-to-time (I'm sure no one here has ever noticed that...) and I'm definitely not one for 'diplomacy' when you fuck with my people.

Shit dude, I'm too old to enlist in everything except the Air Force and I'd still join up if it meant I could drop the Ginsu-bomb on that motherfucker.
    We're on the exact same page here, Rob, that much is for sure.

TBH though I think the Army has the most relaxed standards for joining right now. The USAF and Marines tend to be stingy bastards about who they take, the Navy gets everyone smart enough to not join the Army, and the Army gets everyone left over

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post

Your comment on the 40 year olds was telling.
    This right here is why Russia will never pull out of Syria. They need that port on the outside of the Black Sea. This gives them a Toe in the Mediterranean.

@Suvorov
    I read somewhere that the Chechens are back in the Russian Army now? is that correct. Did the Russians give them enough of what they want to let them back into the confederation. I saw something that they had been attending the SPETZ school house. That whole region from the Caspian Sea to the Black Sea is a shit sandwich.

Site Supporter
    This Facebook page has been following it and posting videos.

https://m.facebook.com/defensionemwarbible

User Tag List