Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    @RevolverRob

You do understand that religion has nothing to do with this war, right?
    @RevolverRob didn't claim it did.

I believe what Rob is purporting is that doesn't change the prevalence of certain nations using Islamic terrorists to further their national interests. So, regardless of this not being a religious war, factions involved could very well employ terrorists as a destabilizing measure against their foe.

Not to mention, open source reporting suggests that over 900 Syrian "mercenaries" (that's a creative take) have already been shipped to Armenia by the Turks. So...we'll see how that plays out.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I understand what you are saying. We have been training their soldiers both in Armenia and here for several years. We have also been doing humanitarian missions in Armenia for several years. I know that has little to do with how things shake out diplomatically or strategically during a conflict but it does add another layer to the complexity of the situation.
    We've also been giving military aid to Azerbaijan.

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    We've also been giving military aid to Azerbaijan.
    We also have had in the past SF types helping train various nations in that region. We even had some 10th GRP guys on the ground in Georgia when the Russians invaded in 2008. That was a shit show for them.

Site Supporter
    What do you mean by historical? IMO, justification for containment isn’t hard. It was still less than a century ago that we avoided containment at all costs and then by the time we realized this appeasement had failed, we had to fight damn near all of Europe.
    What alternate universe are you talking about? When did we have to fight all of Europe? Appeasement was a policy of England and France in the run up to WWII.

Also, please, Wake, give up your analysis how the current Russia could conquer and occupy Western and the old Eastern European countries, given their capabilities and long term logistic abilities.

Intervening in anything but rhetoric in an age old ethnic/religious conflict in this area is pure insanity. These idiots are fighting about nothing but the ego driven male monkey dance. Tribal horseshit - isn't our business.

Developments

Some interesting TTP’s being observed

-The Armenians have quite a bit of their forces in hull defilade and fortified positions, well prepared against direct fire attacks. However they are not using camo nets or concealment against aerial observation and attack, and the Azeri forces are attriting them handily with SUAS systems targeting and Turkish made UCAV systems. Illustrates the importance of both displacement and concealment against an enemy utilizing UAS systems. Azeris are also publicizing these videos of their strikes quite a bit for IO reasons.

-Both sides are utilizing mostly late Cold War equipment. No great surprise there, though Azerbaijan at least is making good usage of UAS platforms.

-Armenian media is broadcasting a running count of Azeri equipment destroyed. As of 1900 yesterday, this was 83 drones, 7 helicopters, 166 armored vehicles, 1 aircraft, 1 MLRS system, and 920 troops. Although I’d imagine this is quite inflated, it’s still a pretty high count for a border clash.

-There are photographs of Russian convoys heading south from Volgograd. Taking with a buddy who follows this more closely than I, OSINT reveals that Volgograd has the 67th Anti-Aircraft Rocket Brigade. They are likely moving to standby in the Russian base in Armenia. Iran is also possibly providing material support, D30 howitzers and T72s to Armenia, photographed moving on flatbeds.

Personally I wonder if the timing on this is meant to coincide with the US election, with most of the world media distracted by it...Turkey might also be driving the timeline for that reason.

Overall, I don’t think the US should or is likely to get involved at all, but I am following closely because just like the Donbas, this is a chance to see emerging technologies used in pitched fighting between two relatively mechanized, Russian style armies.

Guess the F1 race in Baku is off this year... maybe next as well if this keeps up.

I hope the USA has the wherewithal to stay the hell out of there. Maybe use this as an excuse to kick Turkeys butt out of NATO. Isn’t there some cause about dragging the coalition into a needless war means you’re out.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @RevolverRob didn't claim it did.

I believe what Rob is purporting is that doesn't change the prevalence of certain nations using Islamic terrorists to further their national interests. So, regardless of this not being a religious war, factions involved could very well employ terrorists as a destabilizing measure against their foe.

Not to mention, open source reporting suggests that over 900 Syrian "mercenaries" (that's a creative take) have already been shipped to Armenia by the Turks. So...we'll see how that plays out.
    The tone of Rob’s post had a certain...well, tone, that I for one, don’t appreciate.

If we’re going to discuss religion, this isn’t the thread, I don’t think, for that topic, but I’d give anyone an earful that wants to paint with a broad brush, those that have by their place of birth, been ‘assigned’ a religious preference by some random person on the other side of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    The tone of Rob’s post had a certain...well, tone, that I for one, don’t appreciate.

If we’re going to discuss religion, this isn’t the thread, I don’t think, for that topic, but I’d give anyone an earful that wants to paint with a broad brush, those that have by their place of birth, been ‘assigned’ a religious preference by some random person on the other side of the world.
    I don't think anyone is talking about/making an issue of religion except for you.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I don't think anyone is talking about/making an issue of religion except for you.

That’s not my intent. Someone made a backhanded remark that would lead one to conclude they’re...making a backhanded remark, and ‘picking sides’ because of their assumptions due to religious reasons, and I take issue with that.

Nothing less, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    What alternate universe are you talking about? When did we have to fight all of Europe? Appeasement was a policy of England and France in the run up to WWII.

Also, please, Wake, give up your analysis how the current Russia could conquer and occupy Western and the old Eastern European countries, given their capabilities and long term logistic abilities.

Intervening in anything but rhetoric in an age old ethnic/religious conflict in this area is pure insanity. These idiots are fighting about nothing but the ego driven male monkey dance. Tribal horseshit - isn't our business.
    I was talking about WWII, we had to fight across most of that continent by the time we actually got involved.

And are you saying that Russia doesn’t have the logistics to expand into more countries right now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List