Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 LastLast

Thread: Presidential Debate

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Well in Mexico, they vote on SUNDAY to maximize the opportunity for people to actually get out and vote as Election Day is a holiday.
    Turnout in the last Mexican national election 2018 was 63%. Our turnout was 55% in 2016.

Under normal circumstances, one might agree that you should have to get up and get out to vote.

For a whole host of reasons, circumstances ground/are changing, ergo making alternate forms of voting for the entire electorate more appropriate.

Just as I am supremely confident that had the roles had been reversed, the Dems would have proceeded with "their" USSC candidate, if the Reps thought early voting was inuring to their advantage, they would not be saying anything against early voting at all.
    By some accounts that 63% may be reached here in the US this year. That is being perceived by Trump/GOP as a threat but I'm not sure how voting would be a threat unless one feels that only people who are able to get the polls on a certain day to vote would give them an advantage.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Who said we need another holiday? Just vote on President’s day; plus perhaps move that holiday to just after tax due day.
    So you want to vote 11 months before a new president takes office or just change the constitution? Come on, man!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    So you want to vote 11 months before a new president takes office or just change the constitution? Come on, man!
    Yeah well that’s why I said “perhaps” on the moving tax/vote stuff. Between moving tax day or moving vote day it wasn’t obvious to me what would be actually feasible. Given we moved holidays to Monday’s already I’m guessing you don’t have a concern about moving the holiday do you?

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    inauguration/induction of new/replacement members should be the day after election day as well. none of this near 2 month lame duck shit.
    also voting ID should be required, and you should have to pass a basic knowledge test, like who's running, what "party" they're in, and their gender (there's only 2 choices. ) maybe a question or two on "the Constitution, Motherfucker!"

if I have to provide 6 forms of ID, blood and stool samples, and have a proctological exam BEFORE i'm allowed on a plane with a 0.000000001% chance of blowing up due to a suicide bomber, I think the least people should be require to do is provide some proof they're allowed and capable of voting "intelligently", given their's a 50/50 chance they'll fuck things up for 340+ million people (never mind the cascade effect across the world.)

/rant
    You know, I was kind of with you on that, and still am somewhat, until I had some knowledge of the difficulties my daughters had registering to vote and getting DL's.

Neither of the girls gets utility bills, or credit card statements, as a result they really don't have anything readily available with their permanent address affixed.

Given the problems they have had getting ID and registering to vote, I think the requirements, at least in Kansas. are onerous.

Both girls have certified copies of their birth certificates, why isn't that enough?

I'll tell you why, because Kris Kobach didn't want them to vote.

By some accounts that 63% may be reached here in the US this year. That is being perceived by Trump/GOP as a threat but I'm not sure how voting would be a threat unless one feels that only people who are able to get the polls on a certain day to vote would give them an advantage.
    And that's exactly the issue.

Kind of like caging voter registration lists, do you think either party ever cages their own lists?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Yeah well that’s why I said “perhaps” on the moving tax/vote stuff. Between moving tax day or moving vote day it wasn’t obvious to me what would be actually feasible. Given we moved holidays to Monday’s already I’m guessing you don’t have a concern about moving the holiday do you?
    Nope, move them to run in succession if you want. As far as I know there isn't anything in the constitution about holidays.

Nope, move them to run in succession if you want. As far as I know there isn't anything in the constitution about holidays.
    There's nothing in the Constitution about what day voting is held, either. That's a statute. The Constitution just specifies when the actual terms of office start and end.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    There's nothing in the Constitution about what day voting is held, either. That's a statute. The Constitution just specifies when the actual terms of office start and end.
    I think that's how states get around voting on a certain day or what method of voting they use. Doesn't congress get to set the day they count the electoral votes. Now January 6th I believe.

Congrats, you've killed the Republican Party.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...6ed_story.html

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Congrats, you've killed the Republican Party.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...6ed_story.html
    You have to subscribe to read this. Want to give the highlights?

User Tag List