Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Guns You Want to Own- Panic Edition

Site Supporter
    A shorty Benelli.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by The-Gears; 09-29-2020 at 10:43 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Yes, belt fed. I have to admit, every time I see "Vickers" on a thread title here, the first thought is "Yes! Vickers machine guns!...oh.."

So, a Vickers and maybe 50,000 rds of 303 belted up. Sounds like a bit, but you could shoot through it in 6 hours of continuous fire, which they can do. The historical bit about 10 British Vickers firing continuously for 12 hours in one engagement has always impressed me. They fired 2500 rds less than 1 million rounds that day between them. From 10 guns. Non stop. Water cooled at its best.

A 1921 Colt Thompson would be uselessly cool and fun also. Would be awesomely good fun to take on skunk patrol in the evenings.
    We can be friends.

An OG MG with all the tables for indirect as well as direct fire.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    I'd like a few more examples of common striker-fired pistols, but those have been on the list for years. I guess a BRN-180 would be interesting. Also, a 11.5" AR pistol. Unfortunately I don't have enough other guns to sell to fund all these purchases, so I'll just keep buying standard cap mags as my budget allows. Some of the mags are for pistols I don't own yet. Sooner or later I'll buy a Glock 21, and when I do, I will have pristine new 13-round mags to go with it regardless of whether or not the manufacture and sale of such mags has been outlawed. Need to get a few M&P mags soon too. And some 92C mags. Maybe some P07 mag as well. Sigh.

Not really stupid, but I'd like three things

A good Lee Enfield No 5 Mk 1 Jungle Carbine. Mine leaves a lot to be desired and I paid for pick of the litter back when I bought the rifle.

A Bren 10. All the stories, all the hype, felt like I missed something way back then.

The extremely rare Webley-Vickers .50-80 revolver.

CZ Shadow 2 Optics Ready. Kind've stupid because I don't compete, but I might if I had one, and a gamer belt, and a Trijicon SRO, right?

Tikka T3 in...whatever caliber I can justify. No, there's really nothing I need to do that the 6.5CM can't do better. Shut up.

Dillon 750 + bullet feeder + case feeder + primer tube filler, and a giant new bench to put it all on. Because primers are so super-available. (Note: This is legitimately in the plans, along with a Forster Co-Ax to keep it company, and a bench-mounted priming tool with a feed. The Age of Plebeian Reloading is at an end.)

Walther Q5 Steel Match, Sig XFive Legion, just because I like nice shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    The historical bit about 10 British Vickers firing continuously for 12 hours in one engagement has always impressed me. They fired 2500 rds less than 1 million rounds that day between them. From 10 guns. Non stop. Water cooled at its best.
    I didn't know that yet. I've looked it up:

It was in the Battle of the Somme, WW1, western front. "More than three million men fought in the battle and one million men were wounded or killed, making it one of the deadliest battles in human history." (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Somme)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Gun_Corps#History:
    The Vickers was used for indirect fire against enemy positions at ranges up to 4,500 yards (2.5 miles or 4.1 kilometres). This plunging fire was used to great effect against road junctions, trench systems, forming up points, and other locations that might be observed by a forward observer, or zeroed in at one time for future attacks, or guessed at by men using maps and experience. Sometimes a location might be zeroed in during the day, and then attacked at night, much to the surprise and confusion of the enemy.

While in the more sustained direct fire role, properly supported:

Perhaps the most incredible was the action by the 100th Company of the Machine Gun Corps at High Wood on August 24, 1916. This company had ten Vickers guns, and it was ordered to give sustained covering fire for 12 hours onto a selected area 2000 yards away in order to prevent German troops forming up there for a counter-attack while a British attack was in progress... [a] hundred new barrels were used up, and every drop of water in the neighbourhood, including the men’s drinking water and contents of the latrine buckets, went up in steam to keep the guns cool. And in that 12-hour period the ten guns fired a million rounds...

(Weapons & War Machines - Ian V. Hogg & John Batchelor)
    High Wood in Google Maps (Bois de Fourcaux in France), five cemeteries nearby.
    Last edited by P30; 09-30-2020 at 03:20 AM.

I found this claim dubious, so I did rough math.

Figuring 300 rounds into an ammo can, and ammo cans stored six wide and six high , this would result in a stack of ammo cans roughly 6.6 feet wide, 3.75 feet high, and 27 feet long. The empty ammo cans alone would weigh 15,000 pounds. Even using .308Win (I'm lazy and didn't feel like figuring out how much a .303 British cartridge weighed), that would be 52,500 pounds of ammo.

The FWD Model B was an American-built truck used by the British. It had a carrying capacity of 11,000 pounds on the road, and 6,600 pounds cross-country. Even slightly under-loaded, they could have moved that much ammo with less then 10 trucks.

Oh, and this shipment, in case anyone was wondering, would contain 42.85 pounds of primers.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    A real cannon. Preferably with some grape shot cannisters.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    A Winchester 70 featherweight in .270 Winchester. Because bog-standard factory 130gr cup-and-cores hurt my gimpy right shoulder, so I’m probably going to have to download with lighter bullets at lower velocities, and the whole point to it was to give me a bit more range and power over my .243. If I have to download it to sniffing range of the .243, what was the bloody point?

Sure is a pretty rifle, though.
    I've owned a Winchester 70 Featherweight in 6.5x55 for 18 years. I put a Leupold VX-1 2-7x32 scope on it. My standard load is a Sierra SPBT 140gr at 2500fps.

It's a sweet shooting gun, a great mountain gun, and beautiful to boot.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    A real cannon. Preferably with some grape shot cannisters.
    Problems with your neighbors?

Chris

User Tag List