Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Guns You Want to Own- Panic Edition

Stupid Guns You Want to Own- Panic Edition

We've done a thread in the past about guns you want, even though you know it would be a really bad idea.

Now, with all the panicking and shortages, we have extra excuses to buy something, because you spotted a box of 7.62 French Long in the bargain bin.

Me, a Yugo M-48 Mauser, because they tend to be undervalued, and I've seen ammo in stock.

I could also self justify a Ruger SP101 in .327 mag, as I could also shoot a few other .32 rounds.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    We've done a thread in the past about guns you want, even though you know it would be a really bad idea.

Now, with all the panicking and shortages, we have extra excuses to buy something, because you spotted a box of 7.62 French Long in the bargain bin.

Me, a Yugo M-48 Mauser, because they tend to be undervalued, and I've seen ammo in stock.

I could also self justify a Ruger SP101 in .327 mag, as I could also shoot a few other .32 rounds.
    I can fix you up with an M48 if you're so inclined. They do run a lot cheaper than their German counterparts.

10mm commander!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    I can fix you up with an M48 if you're so inclined. They do run a lot cheaper than their German counterparts.
    Sadly, my dentist gets first call on my gun money for the rest of the year.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I ordered a Tikka T3x barrel from Preferred Barrel Blanks in 20 VarTarg. One of the smallest calibers around, I’m looking for something between 223 and 22LR. I already have a 17HMR, and that rifle is limited by the marginal accuracy of the factory loads. The barrel will screw onto a Tikka 223 action.

Since the 20 VarTarg is 3/4” shorter than 223, I’m expecting feeding issues out of the magazine. I do not want a single shot. So my plan is to use a CZ527 221 Fireball magazine (the parent case for 20 VT), and build a magazine block around it. The magazine block will clamp the CZ mag inside and forward, and allow the mag+block to lock into the CTR mag well that I’m using. I already checked the 223 Tikka bolt and action for function, extraction and ejection. The concept appears to work. The Sako extractor will pull the case properly from the chamber, and will not release the case until the case mouth clears the loading port on the action. The Remington 700 chambered in 221 Fireball had to relocate the extractor and ejector because the extractor was pulling the case into the locking lug groove, thereby spilling the spent case into the action, and jamming the ejection cycle. The Tikka does not appear to do this. But I will be sure when I have the 20 VT barrel installed, and can cycle the action.

Wish me luck. Follow up post in 2 months.
    Last edited by Trigger; 09-29-2020 at 06:22 PM.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Can we do belt feds? I have no practical use for one so I guess that counts as stupid. My pick would be a MK48 or 240B. Pretty stupid but I love them.

I was looking through my old list of saved movies on Amazon Prime and started watching Danger Close, the Battle of Long Tan. While I have no idea where one might find one, an Owen SMG would make for a nice car gun. That or an M3 like Steve McQueen had in Hell is for Heroes.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

A 375 H&H.

I'm only going to Africa if I win the Powerball. I could find other uses for it, but most of them could be handled just as well with a good 270.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Springfield M1A SOCOM 16. After all, I need something other than a collectible WW II classic to use when I yell, "Get out of my field!!!". A 7.62 that also shoots flames should be awesome in the corn and soybean fields.

Even though the muzzle blast is atrocious, the ergonomics are obsolete, it is hard to mount optics, and it does nothing an AR-10 will not do, I want one.

I could talk myself into a 10mm CZ 97

User Tag List