Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to Replace/Augment Hellcat,.. thinking full sized. 9mm or .40

Site Supporter
    Just get a Glock or an M&P and be done with it. 9mm.

Glock 9mm

You'll likely have trouble locating one.

I HIGHLY recommend you join the GSSF (Glock Shooting Sports Foundation) on a two-year membership and receive your coupon for a 'Blue Label' Glock within a few weeks. This will increase your chances of finding your gun immensely. Just call around to the local police suppliers and confirm that will let you use a GSSF coupon on Blue Labels they have in stock. Glock is working hard to keep Blue Labels in stock out there.

Personally, I shoot the G17 better with large-to-XL sized palms, but M-length fingers. The G17 or G19 would be what I would look for, with preference to the G17.

Folks know I'm not the biggest Glock fan, but the Gen5 guns are the best Glocks ever made by a wide margin.

Anything besides a Glock 17/19, M&P 2.0, or HK VP9 is probably throwing money away at this time. Do the work to find one of those and you'll be good.

All of them in 9mm. Don't waste time on the .40 cal hole.

Site Supporter
    Sticking to striker fired guns
    In order:

Glock 19, 17,45,26
    S&W M&P 2.0 full size or compact
    HK VP 9 full size or compact
    CZ P10 F or C
    Walter PPQ
    Beretta APX

New / current production sig P320 /M17/M18

If you want a DA /SA Gun

Sig SP 2022
    Beretta 92f
    CZ P07/P09

1911 in 10mm!

Actually as a new / first time gun owner it would be very hard to go wrong with a Gen 5 Glock 19. Holsters are available in what ever flavor you might desire. OEM magazines are available and relatively inexpensive, secondary sources are out there but the jury is still out about them. There are a myriad of sight options and people who know how to install them.
    There are options for triggers, extractors, springs, connectors, the “gadget” and even striker covers with Punisher skulls on them.

I’ve gone through a lot of different guns in my time, the G19 gets you everything you need in a gun with less bother.
    Except bears, for bears you’ll need a bigger gun.

It seems like you’re heading in a good direction. There are some good recommendations here for pistols. I’ll echo a few of these.

Stick with 9mm just because you’re already invested in it.

Glocks work. They just do. Okay, most of the time. My go-to reccomendation for most people interested in their first pistol is a Glock 19. It just fills so many roles and it has a good resale value for when/if you feel the need to move on.

Unless your co-workers are accomplished shooters and not just gun owners, ignore them. The signal-to-noise for gun advice is bad, especially from Bubba and YY. There are people on this forum that truely know pistolcraft from both the competition and real-use side. Pay attention to what they say and you’ll save yourself time and money.

Finally, it seems like you’re serious about your gun ownership. I strongly suggest that after you get your full-size pistol, holster, and magazines that you get good quality training.

Finally, finally, once this virus gets under control, consider participating in a competition such as USPSA or IDPA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I admire your patience, after the shit storm created by your Hellcat post you must have thick skin or a good sense of humor.

I'm a Glock guy, not because it's the one and only, just one I picked up that works for me.

In your situation though, I'ld probably look for a good DA revolver.

A S&W or Ruger .38/.357 might be the K.I.S.S. principal after all, at least they are not particularly dependent on bullet shape.

If you have a supply of 9mm, Ruger SP101 & LCRs are available chambered for the parabellum. Mine work and get much use.

And if the Hellcat gets sorted out, and I suspect it will, you'll have a good back up if you find yourself in a tough spot like this again

Glock 17/19
    M&P 2.0 fullsize/compact in 9mm
    H&K VP9

Can't go wrong with any of the above.

Either go Glock 17 or 19, or go S&W M&P 2.0 full-size or compact in 9mm. Do not do a 40, there’s no real advantage at all. After that, get training ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    "Concealed Carry Class" is the "new" version of "Fighting Smarter" (I own both); you can actually buy a physical version.
    Much obliged. That (the new one) is the one I meant; appreciate the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by sickeness View Post
    Glock 17/19
    M&P 2.0 fullsize/compact in 9mm
    H&K VP9

Can't go wrong with any of the above.
    Agreed. I’d stick with polymer framed & striker fired guns if you already have/intend to keep the Hellcat.
    I’d also add the CZ P10c to the list. All of these guns are amenable to adding a red dot later if you decide to go in that direction.

If you want a DA/SA gun, SIG SP2022.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

User Tag List