Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to Replace/Augment Hellcat,.. thinking full sized. 9mm or .40

Need to Replace/Augment Hellcat,.. thinking full sized. 9mm or .40

Gen 5 Glock 19 with Ameriglo sights is the closest you’ll find to concurrence on the one gun to get. For a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the light of.......

In the light of the availability of firearms and ammo, I would look at what pistols/ammo is available, then make your choice. To explain my statement, for the first time, I've considered getting a .357 Sig or 10mm just to expand my firearm choices. But firearms in those calibers are almost non-existent as is the ammo. Tough times we live in.

As far as pistols go, I like Glock 19/17 and M&P 9/40. Parts for both can be found online. Holsters are plentiful.

Good luck on your quest!

My opinion for an easy button choice? One of two guns, with the intent of getting both at some point:

• Glock 19 Gen5, probably the MOS version to allow future red dot mounting if I ever decided I wanted one
    • Glock 26 Gen5

The 19 is as close to a Ford Taurus gun as you will find, but the 26 actually works better for many people despite being smaller. I know I shoot my 26 noticeably better than any of my other Glocks, and I’m not alone.

If you decide Glock is the way to go, join GSSF (Glock’s in-house fan club) and pay for a two year membership out of the gate. You will then immediately get a certificate qualifying you to purchase a Glock at near LEO pricing from participating dealers - these are the “blue label” guns. Blue label seems to be a little easier to find right now, plus the combination of the reduced price and the extra mag that is included with blue label guns makes it a very good deal.

If you can rent both a 19.5 and a 26.5, give them a try for yourself.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I started shooting in 2014, picking up a rental M&P 1.0 9mm for the first time in my life. Since then I’ve conducted 11 handgun buy/sell transactions costing me approximately $4,000, and shot approximately 17,000 rounds in training, competition and classes. The guns included multiple types of S&W, HK, Walther, Glock and Sig Sauer. I have 140 hours of formal training. I am a beginner USPSA Production shooter, classified at 36%. I have two dark pin runs in Gabe Whites class and two runs, just over time. I have size M hands. I now only own a Glock 19 gen 5 for USPSA, a Glock 48 for carry, and a Ruger LCR revolver for walking the dog.

I only mention this all to give you a context for this comment: If I had to do this all over again, from a beginning, knowing nothing: I would go to the rental range and shoot either a Glock 48, a Glock 19 or a Glock 17 (depending on hand size). Then I’d buy the one I shoot best. I would then invest in good quality gear (holster, belt, mags, ear pro, eye pro, etc), and spend my budget for ammo on a 90% new brass-cased training FMJ / 10% self-defense ammo basis.

Then I’d try and get some good foundational training. I’d become familiar with the laws in my state concerning use of a handgun. I’d buy Tom Givens book, Fighting Smarter and read it cover to cover.

https://www.amazon.com/Fighting-Smar.../dp/1506027571

I’d become a Site Supporter of www.pistol-forum.com, and start a Training Journal to record my progress. I’d try and find a local competition club, either Steel Challenge, IDPA or USPSA; anything that puts you on the clock. I wouldn’t make any changes until I’d shot 1 to 2k of ammo.

Good luck!
    Last edited by RJ; 09-29-2020 at 09:18 AM.

I concur completely with the advice to stick with 9mm as opposed to .40/.357 Sig and/or other calibers. Many pistols that are available in these calibers are essentially 9mm guns that accommodate the hotter calibers. And that results often in a snappier, harder to handle pistol- not to mention, higher ammunition prices. (Although, here on Long Island 9mm right now is as rare as a once in a lifetime opportunity...)

Taking the GLOCK platform into consideration, I realize you are interested in replacing/supplementing the (what the) Hellcat with a “full size” pistol, have a look at the GLOCK Slimline pistols. The G43X and the G48 are dedicated 10 round pistols with an approximate overall footprint of the G19, but thinner. You may find the grip more accommodating. And both are now available in the MOS format for possible upgrade down the road. (And as a side note, the Shield Arms 15 round magazines are available and add no bulk to the Slimline footprint...) YMMV
    Welcome to PF and good luck with your journey. Everyone here is here to help!

Full size 9mm.

Glock 17 gen5

M&P 2.0 Full Size

Lots of good advice here, worth more than you paid for it... I don't own a Glock or any other SFA pistol for that matter but it's hard to argue against a G19 if you have nothing invested in other pistols [other than the hellcat].
    Look at used too.
    Gunshops in my AO are full !

Site Supporter
    I accumulated a lot of nice pistols before I really took the training/skillset side of pistol shooting seriously.

The best thing I did for myself in that regard was put away all the HK's and Sigs and such and start from a clean slate with a Glock 19.

That was some time ago, these days I believe you'd be equally well served by an HK VP9, or an S&W M&P 9 2.0 or M&P 9C 2.0.
    If a Glock 19 isn't available, consider the 19X or Glock 45 (model 45, it's a 'long frame' 9mm)

Then read @RJ 's post and then read it again and do exactly what he recommends because it really is about the best starting place to truly learn how to shoot well.

M&P

M&P 2.0 Made in the USA .

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Then I’d try and get some good foundational training. I’d become familiar with the laws in my state concerning use of a handgun. I’d buy Tom Givens book, Fighting Smarter and read it cover to cover.

https://www.amazon.com/Fighting-Smar.../dp/1506027571

I’d become a Site Supporter of www.pistol-forum.com, and start a Training Journal to record my progress. I’d try and find a local competition club, either Steel Challenge, IDPA or USPSA; anything that puts you on the clock. I wouldn’t make any changes until I’d shot 1 to 2k of ammo.

Good luck!
    "Concealed Carry Class" is the "new" version of "Fighting Smarter" (I own both); you can actually buy a physical version.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

User Tag List