Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to Replace/Augment Hellcat,.. thinking full sized. 9mm or .40

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I started shooting in 2014, picking up a rental M&P 1.0 9mm for the first time in my life. Since then I’ve conducted 11 handgun buy/sell transactions costing me approximately $4,000, and shot approximately 17,000 rounds in training, competition and classes. The guns included multiple types of S&W, HK, Walther, Glock and Sig Sauer. I have 140 hours of formal training. I am a beginner USPSA Production shooter, classified at 36%. I have two dark pin runs in Gabe Whites class and two runs, just over time. I have size M hands. I now only own a Glock 19 gen 5 for USPSA, a Glock 48 for carry, and a Ruger LCR revolver for walking the dog.

I only mention this all to give you a context for this comment: If I had to do this all over again, from a beginning, knowing nothing: I would go to the rental range and shoot either a Glock 48, a Glock 19 or a Glock 17 (depending on hand size). Then I’d buy the one I shoot best. I would then invest in good quality gear (holster, belt, mags, ear pro, eye pro, etc), and spend my budget for ammo on a 90% new brass-cased training FMJ / 10% self-defense ammo basis.

Then I’d try and get some good foundational training. I’d become familiar with the laws in my state concerning use of a handgun. I’d buy Tom Givens book, Fighting Smarter and read it cover to cover.

https://www.amazon.com/Fighting-Smar.../dp/1506027571

I’d become a Site Supporter of www.pistol-forum.com, and start a Training Journal to record my progress. I’d try and find a local competition club, either Steel Challenge, IDPA or USPSA; anything that puts you on the clock. I wouldn’t make any changes until I’d shot 1 to 2k of ammo.

Good luck!
    Thanks for all that.

I do intend to get some training & take on a little research of my own.

As I mentioned in my hellcat post,.. I haven't fired anything more powerful than a pellet gun in 40 years. And even then,.. I was the medic attached to a Marine infantry Company. It wasn't like I had to qualify with a weapon. The grunts would just let me have a chance to shoot if we were doing live fire that day. 😂😉😎

Don't know if it's appropriate or condoned,.. but (now that I've figured out how to post pics) these are the targets from my first three range visits.

First visit, The rented Glock 48:
    Name:  IMG_2517.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  34.2 KB

Second visit, rented Hellcat: Yes! I noticed the Low & Left issue. 😂😉. Did some research on it.
    Name:  IMG_2515.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  28.7 KB

3rd visit with MY Hellcat. (... didn't do too bad considering it was misfeeding left and right after the first three or four mags)
    Name:  IMG_2619.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  44.4 KB

I know it's not great shooting. But Im not feeling too poorly about it after 40 years. Lol

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Glock 9mm

You'll likely have trouble locating one.

I HIGHLY recommend you join the GSSF (Glock Shooting Sports Foundation) on a two-year membership and receive your coupon for a 'Blue Label' Glock within a few weeks. This will increase your chances of finding your gun immensely. Just call around to the local police suppliers and confirm that will let you use a GSSF coupon on Blue Labels they have in stock. Glock is working hard to keep Blue Labels in stock out there.

Personally, I shoot the G17 better with large-to-XL sized palms, but M-length fingers. The G17 or G19 would be what I would look for, with preference to the G17.

Folks know I'm not the biggest Glock fan, but the Gen5 guns are the best Glocks ever made by a wide margin.

Anything besides a Glock 17/19, M&P 2.0, or HK VP9 is probably throwing money away at this time. Do the work to find one of those and you'll be good.

All of them in 9mm. Don't waste time on the .40 cal hole.
    Thanks for this GSSF tip. I've been hunting for a G45 for weeks with no luck and this just solved the problem.

https://youtu.be/qQfYsnoiYqE

If I didn’t have a couple of 19’s ,,Id look seriously at this ^^^^

Arex Delta

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
    https://youtu.be/qQfYsnoiYqE

If I didn’t have a couple of 19’s ,,Id look seriously at this ^^^^

Arex Delta
    Do you have any direct experience with the Arex Delta ? Or are you speculating based on the video?

We have a thread here with first hand experiences which were not so positive.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?36352-Rex-Delta

I was going to recommend some form of 9mm Glock already, with the S&W M&P 2.0 as a close second, but since you mentioned you’re a military veteran, I definitely recommend the Glock 19 or 17 Gen5 MOS. Like you said, you’re eligible for a Glock at Blue Label pricing until Veterans Day. With the MOS, you’ll have the option to mount a red dot sight if you choose to go that route. If you choose not to, there aren’t any negatives except for a slight increase in price. Hard to go wrong. If you do end up needing customer service, my experience with Glock CS has been great.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by gruntjim View Post
    I completely concur with the above.

I have yet to have a stoppage with any 2.0, or a Gen5 Glock.

Use the easy button.
    I own 5 2.0s, 2 Gen 5 Glocks, and 2 Gen 4 Glock, and have experienced a total of 0 stoppages with any over thousands of rounds (which is admittedly still a low count for that many guns by PF standards). The quoted post matches my experience.

My battery of M2.0s and Gen 5 Glocks is basically pointless/redundant because they do the same thing and are a relic of my buy-all-the-time phase, but I can't seem to let myself sell either platform off because I have such a love for guns that run reliably, same reason I have my 92s and PX4s even though I don't carry hammer fired anymore.

Both platforms so very easy to find absolutely any accessory for, though Glock holster selection is a touch better.

Really do go the easy route with one of these platforms. With decent maintenance and regular practice they are both highly reliable, trustworthy platforms.

Edit:

Which is of course to say that they are GENERALLY highly reliable, trustworthy platforms. This is still ToddG's forum and remember that no gun from any brand is reliable because of the brand, you need to make sure YOUR particular gun is reliable and trustworthy by shooting it a good amount. You are presently learning this lesson with your Hellcat, and while it is a difficult lesson, it is a very valuable lesson.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I just want to take a moment and appreciate the folks in this thread who have generously shared with @Chomps their time and efforts to help him get there.

Thanks to @RJ and @HCM in particular, but lots of folks here have chipped in and given great advice.

Solid job here fellow P-F'ers (or should I say Shovel-F'ers? ); this is what I love to see here in P-F.

___

Thread drift over - carry-on.

___

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I just want to take a moment and appreciate the folks in this thread who have generously shared with @Chomps their time and efforts to help him get there.

Thanks to @RJ and @HCM in particular, but lots of folks here have chipped in and given great advice.

Solid job here fellow P-F'ers (or should I say Shovel-F'ers? ); this is what I love to see here in P-F.

___

Thread drift over - carry-on.

___
    Absolutely!!! I Very much appreciate ALL the well informed advice & opinion.

@ work at the moment getting ready to punch in,… But I shipped off the hellcat today to Springfield so this weekend I'm going to do some scouting around for a second weapon. If,… I do go with a Glock? I doubt I'm gonna get a discount the only ones I've been able to find in stock are excruciatingly expensive, and they are not from blue label dealers. At this point in time I may just have to get what I can get! 🤷*♂️

Quote Originally Posted by Chomps View Post
    Absolutely!!! I Very much appreciate ALL the well informed advice & opinion.

@ work at the moment getting ready to punch in,… But I shipped off the hellcat today to Springfield so this weekend I'm going to do some scouting around for a second weapon. If,… I do go with a Glock? I doubt I'm gonna get a discount the only ones I've been able to find in stock are excruciatingly expensive, and they are not from blue label dealers. At this point in time I may just have to get what I can get! 🤷*♂️
    Someone upthread posted a link to a distributor that would sell you a BL Glock.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I would consider a S&W M&P Gen 2 9mm - either Compact or Full size - along with the easy answer of Glock 19.
    I am seeing these still listed for sale in the $500ish range which i can’t say for all the dumb listings of glock 19s for 599-899 (yes I saw an ad for 899!!)

The m&P compact 4” could be argued as a product-improved G19 if you’re not already wedded to Glocks.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List