Thread: Help with an SP101

Help with an SP101

So I swapped out the hammer and trigger return springs on my new SP101 and now I have a weird issue.

The revolver seems to function fine in DA but when I cock the hammer to single action, the hammer seems to catch when the trigger is pulled. If I pull the trigger back all the way and pin it to the trigger guard the hammer falls, but with a slight hesitation. If the trigger is not all the way back, the hammer catches and falls a few millimeters and stops and I can feel it putting pressure on the trigger. If I pull the trigger all the way back at this point, it will fire with the slight hesitation. If I slowly release the trigger I can actually lower the hammer via the trigger back to resting in DA mode.

Hopefully that makes sense? Any ideas what is wrong?

Site Supporter
    Try putting the original parts back in first and see if it still does that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title

I have been watching this as a future SP101 owner. It may help figure out what went wrong and here is a non video break down.

https://www.kevinsworkbench.com/sp101trigger/index.html

I tried putting the original springs back in. No joy.

I'll check out the video and see if I can sort it out.

Thanks all. Any other suggestions are appreciated as well.

In single action when the trigger is being pulled, the ledge for the double action sear is catching the hammer.

Check that the pin in the trigger guard assembly that engages with the main frame is fully seated. If it is not, it messes with how the trigger and sear interact with the hammer. If this does not solve the issue, it needs to go to Ruger for repair as the sear is not right.

I'll check that tonight, thank you!

Turns out there was a burr in the frame that was preventing the trigger plunger from moving all the way out. Removed the burr out and made sure the plunger moved smoothly and all is good. Thanks to all for the help. Proving yet again that PF rocks!

Hammertime
    That is an incredible website!

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptero View Post
    Turns out there was a burr in the frame that was preventing the trigger plunger from moving all the way out. Removed the burr out and made sure the plunger moved smoothly and all is good. Thanks to all for the help. Proving yet again that PF rocks!
    Burrs are often the bad actor(s) in Ruger revolvers.

Another useful Ruger DA revolver tuning read - if you can still find it - is the IBOK ("Iowegian's Book of Knowledge") for the GP100; some of it is relevant to the SP101.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List