Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for M642 Action Job?

Suggestions for M642 Action Job?

I need to tear down my newly aquired M642 and take care of the lock situation. While I have it apart I figured I might as well slick it up a bit. Any sugestions / advice? any spring kits that are worthwhile?

Thanks in advance.

Site Supporter
    I'm pleased with the Apex kit I put in my 442.

Apex Kit and a light polishing of the rebound slide will do wonders.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    I have 2 performance center 642s but my Apexed 340M&P has a nicer trigger pull. Just the apex kit and stoned the rebound slide.
    Adam

Apex kit, polishing the rebounder, and proper grease is the easiest way to go about it.

Thanks guys.

Anybody try the Wilson "Custom-Tune" spring kit?

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Anybody try the Wilson "Custom-Tune" spring kit?
    I think Wilson makes fine products and I am sure this is another one of them, but I like the replacement firing pin that comes with the Apex. I forget why exactly they said they include it when I was buying my first one, but it made sense and I stayed with them as I added more J-frames.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I think Wilson makes fine products and I am sure this is another one of them, but I like the replacement firing pin that comes with the Apex. I forget why exactly they said they include it when I was buying my first one, but it made sense and I stayed with them as I added more J-frames.
    The reasoning behind the extended replacement firing pin the Apex kit, is to help mitigate the dangers of light strikes when going to the lighter mainspring they use. A light trigger in a J-frame is of no use if the gun dosn't go bang when you need it to.

The above said, I have used the Wilson kit in my 442, and have not experienced any light strikes in several hundred ( maybe over 1k?) rounds of various factory and my own reloaded ammo, so I think it is possible that it is unnecessary. I would suggest thoroughly vetting the gun with your chosen carry and/or practice ammo, whichever spring kit you go with.

Besides slicking up the rebound slide, and using proper lube, I did clean up the rough edges on the stamped mainspring strut before I reassembled the gun when I installed the Wilson kit. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I felt like it might, and it took only a few minutes to do.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I did clean up the rough edges on the stamped mainspring strut before I reassembled the gun when I installed the Wilson kit. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I felt like it might, and it took only a few minutes to do.
    That is one of those things that simply makes sense, if you if you do not detect an improvement.

I'm gonna be that guy. Don't screw around with your springs if you ever plan to carry it.

Stone the high spots off the rebound slide. A flat knife sharpening stone works well for this. Clean everything, lube generously. Shoot/dry fire until you get about a thousand cycles in. Clean again and lube lightly.

Never seen a non rimfire J Frame that didn't have a buttery smooth trigger after this treatment. If you can't fire double action without disturbing the sights both two and single handed after this then you need to work on your lower arm strength.

There's way too many "plz help I just installed this sweet Apex/Wilson/whatever kit and sometimes I get light strikes" posts out there. If you ever encounter a primer that didn't quite seat fully in your carry ammo or when a dust bunny from your pocket works its way in the guts of your 642 you'll be glad you left the factory springs in.

Maybe I'm paranoid. I'll fully admit, if you gave me the choice between a 100% reliable 9lb DA trigger and a 12lb one, I'd pick the 9lb one every time. But I'm not personally convinced spring kits preserve the margin of error for shit happens that the factory ones do. And I don't find the factory spring weights inhibit good double action shooting if you have strong hands.

In the end you decide what is acceptable for you.

User Tag List