Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Is P-F Painfully Slow For Anyone Else Lately?

Site Supporter
    After nearly 2 days without any issues at all, the "Likes" problem started again just now. (~7:35 AM CDT)

In the hopes of troubleshooting / diagnosing, I ran CCleaner, cleared my cache, etc. When I re-loaded PF (my bookmark is directly to the "New Posts" search), I got the style sheet problem again on top of the "likes" problem (images below). I was not having this problem before I got the "Likes" problem.

So.... I clicked through a few posts hoping the problems would clear.... No luck. Then I clicked the "Settings" link and the style sheet problem was resolved. Clicking "New Posts" again brought up a correctly formatted page. Likes are working again as well.

I went back and ran CCleaner again and the pages & likes are still formatting / working correctly.

So.... Is there maybe something about clicking "settings" that loads some browser setting that affects how the site is formatted in a browser?
    Or, was it just a timing thing... that while I was trying to chase down some clues, whatever the problem was corrected itself and had nothing to do with clicking on settings?

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Name:  No Style.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  26.4 KB Name:  Like.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  8.4 KB
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 10-30-2020 at 08:06 AM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

The weird thing I was getting is back this morning. If Im logged in it works fine to follow links from email, if I come in fresh off an email link (not already logged on) or on my fire tablet, its weird. I dump all cookies and history every time I shut my computer off, and dont use the tablet to log in to anything, just surf.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    More FWIW....
    This morning I hit the New Posts search page from 2 devices. Android tablet and android phone, both running current versions of FF browser.

When the search results loaded, page formatting was per my post above. When I selected the notification link the formatting returned to normal and, so far, has remained normal. Same thing on both devices.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I get similar on chromebook with latest updates.

When I first visit in the morning and click on my saved "new posts" bookmark, I get the skeletonized version of the page...but as soon as I click on my notifications, it reverts to normal and stays that way for the rest of the day...with few if any exceptions. Odd, but I can live with that peculiarity.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I’m quite aware of the rendering issues going on, folks. I’m certain it’s an artifact of our new protection PF is paying for, which is apparently not ribbed for our pleasure

I’m working on it, but it’s very random and therefore hard to pin down.
    #RESIST

Takes a ribbing and keeps on giving.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    More FWIW....
    This morning I hit the New Posts search page from 2 devices. Android tablet and android phone, both running current versions of FF browser.

When the search results loaded, page formatting was per my post above. When I selected the notification link the formatting returned to normal and, so far, has remained normal. Same thing on both devices.
    Last FWIW... Not meaning to poke the issue, just wanting to add some clues.

On my PC just now (Win10 w FF), the search results page rendered correctly. Went into a thread and clicked the like button on a post. Had the same failure as post above (but with correct page formatting). Clicked on the Notifications / Inbox link. Went back to the page where the like failed, and clicked the like button successfully.

So... A workaround seems to be to click "Settings" or "Notifications" and something in those header routines (possibly others as well, have not tried) seem to be fixing the random formatting/likes issues for me.

Thanks!

First 503 in a while...

...but just a short lived hiccup it seems. (So far.)

Site Supporter
    I had one 503 over the weekend, but the site came straight back on reload.
    Still having the occasional formatting and "likes" problem, but hitting "Settings" fixes it every time (so far).

Pages are loading pretty quickly too... back to original speed mostly.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    503 a plenty 0630-0700 EST 12/05/20
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List