Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Electronic Handgun Safes

Quote Originally Posted by BrassSlapper View Post
    Please forgive me if there's a recent thread on this I missed...

So, I'm in the market for a new handgun safe. While my Fort Knox is serving me just fine, I'm looking for something simpler and easier that my wife can access while I'm out of town on business. The idea of her fumbling around in the dark trying to punch in a Simplex combo makes me nervous if she's got to get in quickly.
    You know she can pre-punch all or part of the combination on a Simplex lock before she goes to bed. That way she just has to turn the knob to open it or say punch the last button in the combination and turn the knob. In the morning just clear the lock to reset it.

Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    You know she can pre-punch all or part of the combination on a Simplex lock before she goes to bed. That way she just has to turn the knob to open it or say punch the last button in the combination and turn the knob. In the morning just clear the lock to reset it.
    As much as I think that could work, there's going to be a time where she'd inevitably forget to reset the lock and the firearm would be unsecured for how long. Don't get me wrong. I trust my wife. But complacency does get the best of us all sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by BrassSlapper View Post
    As much as I think that could work, there's going to be a time where she'd inevitably forget to reset the lock and the firearm would be unsecured for how long. Don't get me wrong. I trust my wife. But complacency does get the best of us all sometimes.
    I certainly understand that point. The real issue that you are faced with, like many of us, is that you want to be sure your wife is safe and can protect herself when you are not there and most women, including my wife just aren't interested in guns/self defense to the point I am. She mainly depends on me to be there.

What my wife does, and our kids are grown and gone, when I am not there is to open the safe when she goes to bed and leave it open at night. It's mounted to the bed frame and when the door is open the front edge of the door with the holstered gun sits just above the mattress to where it is visible from her side. Also, she does make the bed every day so it would be very unlikely she would miss closing the door in the morning.

It would be nice if you can get your wife to just practice enough for it to be second nature for her to open it. How often does she practice with your gun? Are you sure she's ready to handle the gun and shooting someone? I know you like the Simplex lock and know how reliable they are, but do you trust the inexpensive electronics to work every time on the Chinese made safes? I know I don't.

so did we ever arrive at a concesus for these things? I'd sure like to have something easier to open in our campervan, particularly where the concern is more about child access than criminal.

I "feel" like I know better than to trust thing thing but the "wants" are getting the better of me...
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=A6V4EXTV28J1X
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List