Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Handgun Safes

Electronic Handgun Safes

Please forgive me if there's a recent thread on this I missed...

So, I'm in the market for a new handgun safe. While my Fort Knox is serving me just fine, I'm looking for something simpler and easier that my wife can access while I'm out of town on business. The idea of her fumbling around in the dark trying to punch in a Simplex combo makes me nervous if she's got to get in quickly. So, I'm doing research and I run across an article that's got two different options for hands-free operation-- (article for reference here)--

One's a bluetooth operation with the Vaultek. And the other's a Hornady with an RFID bracelet. Now, I know she can work her phone in her sleep and she could be dialing 911 along with opening her safe at the same time. But the RFID is literally hands free. Just tap the bracelet and voila! it's open.

The real question is...do any of you guys actually own either of these? I'm looking for some real, legit input from actual users. Or if you have a better suggestion, I'm all ears.

Site Supporter
    I’m very satisfied with my Vaultek.
    I bought this one:

https://vaulteksafe.com/products/vau...-noir-edition/

almost two years ago. (At the time, I had to look up who Colion Noir was, so it wasn’t based on his endorsement).

It’s bolted to the bedside table, so a thief would have to carry out a 50 lb piece of furnature to go to work on opening it.
    I like the redundant methods of opening it. It reads my thumbprint and opens in about 3 seconds 95% of the time, and always within about 5-6 sec. but I (or my wife) can quickly fall back to a remote button hidden within Bluetooth range to push and open it. Or the keypad. Or the app on my iPhone. Or the mechanical key.
    It slides open and presents the handgun, grip-up. I use it every night to holster up to take the dog out.
    It runs on a rechargeable, replaceable battery, so no external power required.

I’m a satisfied customer.

Quote Originally Posted by BrassSlapper View Post
    Please forgive me if there's a recent thread on this I missed...

So, I'm in the market for a new handgun safe. While my Fort Knox is serving me just fine, I'm looking for something simpler and easier that my wife can access while I'm out of town on business. The idea of her fumbling around in the dark trying to punch in a Simplex combo makes me nervous if she's got to get in quickly. So, I'm doing research and I run across an article that's got two different options for hands-free operation-- (article for reference here)--

One's a bluetooth operation with the Vaultek. And the other's a Hornady with an RFID bracelet. Now, I know she can work her phone in her sleep and she could be dialing 911 along with opening her safe at the same time. But the RFID is literally hands free. Just tap the bracelet and voila! it's open.

The real question is...do any of you guys actually own either of these? I'm looking for some real, legit input from actual users. Or if you have a better suggestion, I'm all ears.

I found this website helpful
    https://www.handgunsaferesearch.com/recommended-safes

Apparently the Vaultek can be compromised very easily. I am not convinced that any of the electronic safes offer anything worthwhile over a simplex button combo lock.

I bought the V-line mechanical safe for my daughter. It is simple, reliable, and solid.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Apparently the Vaultek can be compromised very easily.
    Yes, I’d read about that, but
    1. Not sure how current those reports are
    2. Figure there’s extremely little overlap between burglars and hackers
    3. Really like the form factor and convenience

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Yes, I’d read about that, but
    1. Not sure how current those reports are
    2. Figure there’s extremely little overlap between burglars and hackers
    3. Really like the form factor and convenience
    Apparently you don’t have to be a hacker. All you need is a paperclip or a zip tie

https://www.handgunsaferesearch.com/vaultek-safe
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Why does the pistol need to be locked up when she's home?

Suggestions would be, not having it in a box. My wife uses a holster. Gun's under the bed while sleeping.

I absolutely love my Hornady AR Gunlocker as a quick access option. My brother also purchased one and he loves his, too.

Simply punch in a 5-digit code and it flips right open.. has enough room for an AR.. mags, a few handguns, whatever...

You can also use the stickers on a phone or something else to flip it open. I don’t personally because I have small children.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/hornady...ker-98190.html

I do not own either of those and I don’t know this is a better suggestion but,
    The Fort Knox with simplex is probably the beat overall in terms of security and ease of use. I don’t need to worry about small kids so a gunvault works for me when I need to make anything I put in there is not readily accessible.

I would not trust Bluetooth or RFID. If you needed a gun are the access times you mentioned acceptable?

I used a simplex for years when I had small kids, one day one of the buttons failed probably after being used a million times but the point is anything can fail. I do believe overall the simplex is the most reliable overall.

One last thought, if you and your wife train with your pistol why not train opening the simplex in various conditions ie dark or under a time constraint?

I have circled back to this with a couple of thoughts. Every time this comes up somebody posts links to how to hack these types of safes. I don't think its necessarily germane, here is why; If your home gets broken into on a smash and grab it doesn't matter if you bolted the safe to the bedside table. It will get kicked, pried and hammered until the safe and whatever pieces of come loose. The safe gets carted off to be opened at a later date. If it is a targeted robbery, you have been watched and patterned until the thief thinks they have ample time to what they do and if they find your locked gun vault they will have time to youtube how to hack it on the spot or kick, pry and hammer it free so that can figure out how to open it at their leisure. That said the only time I think hacker proof comes into play is when there are smallish children in the house. The ones that are curious/old enough to try and figure things out.

That said, I never had one of these small safes. I no longer have small children in the house, its just me and my LEO wife. The gun of the day is on me or with in arms reach. When I leave it is on me or locked in the big safe. My wife keeps her duty weapon in her night stand if she is home or its on her. If it gets exchanged for a bug, it goes in the big safe where the bug come from. All of our children grew up with guns and all had at least one at the age of 16. When they were small the guns were on us or in the big safe.

Just some rambling thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Why does the pistol need to be locked up when she's home?

Suggestions would be, not having it in a box. My wife uses a holster. Gun's under the bed while sleeping.
    My son is getting into absolutely everything nowadays. Not gonna risk it.

User Tag List