Thread: First 200....

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!

First 200....

I have read so many threads lately where a person buys a new gun, starts changing parts or adding a Red Dot, and then an otherwise known and proven platform is jamming, not ejecting, or otherwise acting out of character.

That got me thinking about what would happen if I took a new gun, straight from the box, cleaned the bore and fired 200 rounds. I feel that would at least give me a good idea if the gun had any bugs from the factory that were legitimate defects.

So I just picked up a Glock 45 and headed up to my range in the desert. I fired the first ten rounds at a 25 yard target, then fired another 180 rounds practicing shooting drills and informally plinking, and finally fishing up with the last ten rounds at a 25 yard target to see if there was any notable change. I was shooting LAX 124 grn. reloaded ammo.

So here is my report: Zero problems of any kind. From the first round to the last, the gun ran great and ejection is notably better than my Gen 3 guns. Accuracy was very poor in comparison to my Gen 5 17. However, this gun came with the factory plastic "beer pong" set up. I just can't shoot these any more. My first two rounds were very high and then I realized that I was floating the dot too high in the rear sight. I brought the dot down and the groups came down as well. I can shoot these sight fast, but lack the precision of other set ups. I was also really there to let my daughter shoot and did not want to take away from her fun so I was not 100% focused on my shooting. New sights are on the way, but I wanted to keep to original plan of straight from the box. So I will follow up on accuracy after I install the new sights.

Overall the gun shot very smooth, was easy to control, and carries very well. I carried it OWB 24/7 in a Tenicor ARX for the weekend while I checked fences, shot, and just generally knocked about. I really like the shorter barrel when seated in my truck. Overall, I am very happy with the 45 and will do some more shooting with it in a couple of weeks. It passed the First 200 with flying colors. I plan on keeping this stock, so I am happy with the initial outing.

Patrick E. Kelley did a number of videos "From the Box to the Match" where he took a brand new gun to a speed steel match.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP2...B3-5Za-KOVsOHg
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I try to put at least 100 rounds through new autos before I start changing things, for that very reason.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Every gun I buy goes to the range before I change stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Similar experience with my G19. Bought it, started shooting it that day. 1 year and 3 months later, over 1,600 rounds of all weights and types, through various drills, in all weather, it has not failed yet.

Gotta love that.

I do laugh when folks buy brand new guns and start tinkering before even the first shot. Wierd to me. Even if I was gonna take a stock gun "to the next level" with a bunch of extra parts, I'd want to establish reliability first.

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    I do laugh when folks buy brand new guns and start tinkering before even the first shot. Wierd to me. Even if I was gonna take a stock gun "to the next level" with a bunch of extra parts, I'd want to establish reliability first.
    I think I have changed sights before a first trip to the range, but that is the only thing.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Kinda telling that the majority of guys with FAST Coins, Samurai patches and Turbo Pins don't have a bunch of Gucci crap on their guns. Draw your own conclusions.

User Tag List