Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump picks Amy Coney Barrett.

Site Supporter
    The hearings are just virtue signaling opportunities for pompous fools to blather their political positions for the the home crowd. Whether you agree with the position or not, what a bunch of blowhards. Ask a damn question of substance as compared to this verbal vomit.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    So far the dems have not turned it into a circus.

Harris is on now. Give her her chance.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Harris is making a speech about the Affordable Care Act. Barrett cannot say how she would vote on a case - so it is a speech. A GOP female senator (didn't catch the name) was going off on religion and faith. So what.

Just speeches, no legal content or philosophy.

She is wearing a mask, so take that OrangeManBad. Mitch said the WH was a plague hotspot.

IIRC at this point, the members get to make an opening statement. Last time the dems used this time to run for president and attack Kavanaugh.

I don't think they will act that way this time. They think they are far enough in the polls not to risk it.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Is she racist yet? Does she like beer?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Does she hang out with Squi?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'm pretty sure she drinks wine, but only by accident.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I'm pretty sure she drinks wine, but only by accident.
    I'm pretty sure it's intentional, but it like *every week.*
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Transcript of her opening statement

Of note, to me:

"The policy decisions and value judgments of government must be made by the political branches, elected by and accountable to the people. The public should not expect courts to do so and courts should not try. "

"I try to remain mindful that while my court decides thousands of cases a year, each case is the most important one to the litigants involved. After all, cases are not like statutes, which are often named for their authors, cases are named for the parties who stand to gain or lose in the real world often through their liberty or livelihood.
    When I write an opinion resolving a case, I read every word from the perspective of the losing party. I ask myself how I would view the decision if one of my children was the party that I was ruling against. Even though I would not like the result, would I understand that the decision was fairly reasoned and grounded in law. That is the standard that I set for myself in every case. And it is the standard that I will follow so long as I am a judge on any court. "
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    Love it. Someone who understands the Constitutional role of the courts.

It’s just sad that this makes her different from many other judges.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Transcript of her opening statement

Of note, to me:

"The policy decisions and value judgments of government must be made by the political branches, elected by and accountable to the people. The public should not expect courts to do so and courts should not try. "

"I try to remain mindful that while my court decides thousands of cases a year, each case is the most important one to the litigants involved. After all, cases are not like statutes, which are often named for their authors, cases are named for the parties who stand to gain or lose in the real world often through their liberty or livelihood.
    When I write an opinion resolving a case, I read every word from the perspective of the losing party. I ask myself how I would view the decision if one of my children was the party that I was ruling against. Even though I would not like the result, would I understand that the decision was fairly reasoned and grounded in law. That is the standard that I set for myself in every case. And it is the standard that I will follow so long as I am a judge on any court. "

User Tag List