Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Trump picks Amy Coney Barrett.

That's one mark on the + side.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I’m always happy to see another textualist/originalist appointed to the Court. I do hope the Democrats do not respond by “packing” the Court should they manage to take the Senate and White House though. We need some time with this makeup of 9 justices to see if any gun control nonsense gets crushed.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I’m always happy to see another textualist/originalist appointed to the Court. I do hope the Democrats do not respond by “packing” the Court should they manage to take the Senate and White House though. We need some time with this makeup of 9 justices to see if any gun control nonsense gets crushed.
    The fact that the Dems want to do this, despite a large majority of Americans polled being against it, is reflective of how far out of touch they are with American values...and that they don't care. It's all about pushing through their agenda whether the people want it or not. Sound familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    The fact that the Dems want to do this, despite a large majority of Americans polled being against it, is reflective of how far out of touch they are with American values...and that they don't care. It's all about pushing through their agenda whether the people want it or not. Sound familiar?
    Let’s just say I’m glad that the President is separately elected and not chosen by a coalition of legislators, and I’m not excited about what the future holds.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

That line of argument can cut both ways.......

————

The latest NBC News-Wall Street Journal survey finds that 89 percent of Americans favor expanded background checks for gun purchasers; 76 percent support "red flag" laws to identify dangerous persons and deny them guns, and 75 percent favor a voluntary buyback program in which the government would purchase firearms from current owners. Sixty-two percent of Americans favor a ban on the sale of semi-automatic weapons.

https://www.usnews.com/news/national...or-gun-control

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    That line of argument can cut both ways.......

————

The latest NBC News-Wall Street Journal survey finds that 89 percent of Americans favor expanded background checks for gun purchasers; 76 percent support "red flag" laws to identify dangerous persons and deny them guns, and 75 percent favor a voluntary buyback program in which the government would purchase firearms from current owners. Sixty-two percent of Americans favor a ban on the sale of semi-automatic weapons.

https://www.usnews.com/news/national...or-gun-control
    Well, at least my flintlock and blunderbuss will be safe.

Well, at least my flintlock and blunderbuss will be safe.
    Only if you can't attach a bayonet to either of them. Otherwise they become an assault Flintlock or assault blunderbuss.

That article is more than a year old. I wonder if the poll numbers have changed any, given the events of 2020. I also wonder what % of the poll respondents are actually well educated on the topic. I imagine the answer to the % question is depressing.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Sixty-two percent of Americans favor a ban on the sale of semi-automatic weapons.
    Seventy-three percent* of Americans don't know what semi-automatic means when describing a weapon.

*Made-up statistic, but probably close.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Seventy-three percent* of Americans don't know what semi-automatic means when describing a weapon.

*Made-up statistic, but probably close.
    Pretty much how professional polling works anyway.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List