Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Trump picks Amy Coney Barrett.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    That line of argument can cut both ways.......

————

The latest NBC News-Wall Street Journal survey finds that 89 percent of Americans favor expanded background checks for gun purchasers; 76 percent support "red flag" laws to identify dangerous persons and deny them guns, and 75 percent favor a voluntary buyback program in which the government would purchase firearms from current owners. Sixty-two percent of Americans favor a ban on the sale of semi-automatic weapons.

https://www.usnews.com/news/national...or-gun-control
    100% of that is unconstitutional... and a hill I'm willing to mount.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Seventy-three percent* of Americans don't know what semi-automatic means when describing a weapon.

*Made-up statistic, but probably close.
    63% of statistics are made up. Including this one.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Well, at least my flintlock and blunderbuss will be safe.
    But due to ecological concerns you won’t be allowed to possess lead. Black powder will be forbidden too without a Class A explosives permit requiring a appropriately alarmed and situated external powder magazine.

The Left actually has sorted out that guns last forever but ammunition “needs” to be regulated.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    But due to ecological concerns you won’t be allowed to possess lead. Black powder will be forbidden too without a Class A explosives permit requiring a appropriately alarmed and situated external powder magazine.

The Left actually has sorted out that guns last forever but ammunition “needs” to be regulated.
    Chris Rock was decades behind.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-be679a5c6dc9/
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    That line of argument can cut both ways.......

————

The latest NBC News-Wall Street Journal survey finds that 89 percent of Americans favor expanded background checks for gun purchasers; 76 percent support "red flag" laws to identify dangerous persons and deny them guns, and 75 percent favor a voluntary buyback program in which the government would purchase firearms from current owners. Sixty-two percent of Americans favor a ban on the sale of semi-automatic weapons.

https://www.usnews.com/news/national...or-gun-control
    I bet if you drilled down into the data you would find out that:

-A large majority of the 89% think the question is should someone have to have a background check to buy a gun at a dealer or a background check between two random strangers at a gun show. Change it to "Do you support having to have a background check done if they let a hunting buddy borrow a rifle/shotgun and/or a background check on their family member to give them a gun?" and I bet a chunk of that support disappears.

-76% probably support making sure that there is a way that family members of crazy or suicidal people have a way to get the guns out of their hands, not that some random person that doesn't like them can have their guns removed without due process. Change the wording to say, "Do you agree that an acquaintance/ex-spouse/lover/family member should be able to anonymously report you to the police and have all your guns taken way until YOU prove you should get them back and face no repercussions for doing so?" and I bet the % changes.

-75% who support Voluntary buybacks to get unwanted guns off the streets that would otherwise be potentially stolen or sold to felons to "Do you support being forced by the government to give them YOUR personal firearms for a price THEY decide is reasonable?" I know that number will change. Even change it to "Do you support a tax increase on your personal income to support buying unwanted guns and destroying them?" and I bet that a significant chunk of that % falls off.

-62% of people who favor a ban on the sale of "automatic" weapons who were asked instead "Do you support the ban on sale of every firearm that isn't a revolver, pump, bolt, lever or break open action, including the Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60 that your XXXXXX bought you as a Christmas present and suddenly the % changes.

A poll is only as useful as the questions being asked and the questions being asked can 100% affect the results.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    That article is more than a year old. I wonder if the poll numbers have changed any, given the events of 2020. I also wonder what % of the poll respondents are actually well educated on the topic. I imagine the answer to the % question is depressing.
    Adding to this point, I have not seen any recent polls on public support for gun control. I wonder why?

A few months ago a liberal friend who moved from Pennsylvania to Maryland contacted me about advice on buying a gun. Tis friend expressed surprise at the requirements that had to be met before purchasing a gun in Maryland.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post

Slingshots and blowguns, then. You're harshing my mellow.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    A poll is only as useful as the questions being asked and the questions being asked can 100% affect the results.
    Exactly. Equating the results of any poll to "what the public thinks" is unwise.

A poll is never what the public is thinking. It's not even what the people who took the poll are thinking. All it is is just how the people taking the poll answered that set of questions, and only that.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    I bet if you drilled down into the data you would find out that:

-A large majority of the 89% think the question is should someone have to have a background check to buy a gun at a dealer or a background check between two random strangers at a gun show. Change it to "Do you support having to have a background check done if they let a hunting buddy borrow a rifle/shotgun and/or a background check on their family member to give them a gun?" and I bet a chunk of that support disappears.

-76% probably support making sure that there is a way that family members of crazy or suicidal people have a way to get the guns out of their hands, not that some random person that doesn't like them can have their guns removed without due process. Change the wording to say, "Do you agree that an acquaintance/ex-spouse/lover/family member should be able to anonymously report you to the police and have all your guns taken way until YOU prove you should get them back and face no repercussions for doing so?" and I bet the % changes.

-75% who support Voluntary buybacks to get unwanted guns off the streets that would otherwise be potentially stolen or sold to felons to "Do you support being forced by the government to give them YOUR personal firearms for a price THEY decide is reasonable?" I know that number will change. Even change it to "Do you support a tax increase on your personal income to support buying unwanted guns and destroying them?" and I bet that a significant chunk of that % falls off.

-62% of people who favor a ban on the sale of "automatic" weapons who were asked instead "Do you support the ban on sale of every firearm that isn't a revolver, pump, bolt, lever or break open action, including the Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60 that your XXXXXX bought you as a Christmas present and suddenly the % changes.

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List