Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pachmayr grips splitting apart

Pachmayr grips splitting apart

After about half a year of searching, I finally found someone who sells Pachmayr Presentation Compac's for a Ruger Speed Six and is willing to ship them to my country. When I received them I noticed the fit was the worst of any revolver grips ever - I mean, I thought the Pachy's on my Redhawk were bad but... Ick. Oh well, as long as they work, right?

Well today I had the chance to test them. Good news: now my gun shoots to the point of aim even with the hottest magnums I could find (which happen to be Magtech 158gr JSJP's - nothing earth shattering, but there is a noticeable increase in felt recoil over other brands of .357 Magnum ammunition I have tried). The bad news: The bloody grip panels will not stay together, at all. The picture below is after removing, re-installing the grips and firing six shots:

Name:  IMG_20200927_172519.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  52.5 KB

My question is, has anyone else had to deal with this issue before, and how did it turn out? I'm thinking some sort of glue on the back part of the grip, but I'm not sure what kind. Super glue? Or perhaps I should use some of the RTV I have left over from last summer's vehicle maintenance project? I would, of course, like to retain the ability to remove and re-install the grips without drastic measures, but I'm thinking if I just attach the two panels at the back I ought to be able to slide them onto the gun. Not sure how well the material handles being glued together like that, though.

Certain that they are for the Speed and not the Security or Service Six?

Well, it says "Ruger Speed Six round butt" on the inside of the grip, so yes, fairly sure.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Site Supporter
    I know the *Security Six* had a redesign of the grip section to allow a better recoil distribution by raising the backstrap shoulder somewhat during the 70s. Not sure if that was done on the Speed and Service Sixes too.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Maybe try a little less torque on the screw? I've noticed on some grips, if you squeeze the centers together too hard, the panels will dish, causing the edges to separate.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Is the serial number prefix above or below "151"? It seems that is an issue per Hogue. https://www.hogueinc.com/handgun-gri...rips/speed-six

The 151-prefix change in the grip frame design is specific to the square butt revolvers. I am not aware of any change in the grip frame dimensions of the round butt Speed Six.

Those grips/stocks are definitely not fitting correctly. I haven't had that particular issue with Pachmayr grips, but have had other fit issues.

You can try another set if the seller/dealer is willing to take a return. The Pachmayr grips are rubber molded over a steel insert. I'm not sure you would be able to find an adhesive or glue that will solve the fit issue.

Might just have more luck going with Hogue, Trausch etc.

The Speed Sixes are great revolvers, sorry you are having a bad time finding a workable aftermarket grip.

My guess is that the grips are simply really old stock and the rear seam split when you fired the revolver. I don't believe that Pachmayr even offers Speed Six grips any longer, and probably haven't for a long time. I use Compac on S&W J Frames, and understand your attachment to them. I do wish somebody would duplicate the design in wood or micarta though.

I've got a pair for a gp100 and they do the same. I wrapped finger tape around it and they were useable but eventually i swallowed them and never went back.

Talked to a wheelgun connisseur about it and was told it was a common issue.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

I am thinking that these are made of neoprene, which does not endure forever, in storage.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List