Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: The Leupold FX-II Ultralight 2.5x20mm and the Defensive Carbine

Site Supporter
    This thread definitely has me rethinking my optic choices. I can definitely see the merit of a 2x-3x fixed magnification optic, particularly with a good eyebox and a reticle that is sufficiently visible in low light.

I ran a lightweight Minox 1.5-8x on an AR for a few years and I really like having the instant choice of magnification. Just over 17 ounces with the mount.

Trigger pulled. I will share my impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Trigger pulled. I will share my impressions.
    Cool! That one's caught my attention multiple times.

I like the look of the mil square

Looking forward to hear your thoughts. Particularly on the illumination. If it’s Aimpoint bright, I might entertain the 1-6 again.

Quote Originally Posted by TWR View Post
    Looking forward to hear your thoughts. Particularly on the illumination. If it’s Aimpoint bright, I might entertain the 1-6 again.
    I will definitely share my initial thoughts upon receiving, then more after I spend some time with it at the range.

FWIW, the only time I can envision using reticle illumination is at dusk and dawn, and even then I might be more inclined to fire up the WML. I did watch one YouTube review that stated that it's definitely NOT "daylight bright" when the reviewer placed the reticle on the side of a white truck in full daylight and the illumination was not bright enough to make the reticle as visible as when it was not lit up. Call me dense, but the benefit of illuminating a perfectly visible etched reticle in bright daylight conditions eludes me...

Here is a review by a more credible source on the older Accupower 3-9 version of the scope. The only obvious difference vs. Credo that I saw in this review is the turret style - the Accupower used the lift-and-spin method to re-zero whereas the Credo requires unscrewing a retaining cap to lift and reset zero. Otherwise I'd imagine much of what is discussed in the review pertains to the Credo version as well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2QWhv3e_xs

Ya I’ve seen reviews say both at least for the red. I could see the price boost if they changed their illumination but I rarely use it on my 1-4 Accupowers so I doubt it would get used much unless it was Aimpoint bright and I was doing drills. (Speaking of the 1-6)

Believe or not I'm now reconsidering a heavy 1-6 LPVO. I live in the Texas panhandle, everywhere I look I can see past 500 yards. This land is flat and wide open. The more I look at my environment and what I would use my rifle for, the extra weight is justified. Also, one of the big reasons I'm a red dot fan is because I'm cross dominant, left eye right hand. I used to run scoped rifles left handed, but a 1x image and bold reticle allows me to shoot right handed with both eyes open for fast shooting. It makes gear setup a lot easier. I wouldn't mind running an LPVO at 1x and squinting my left eye for distance shots. Unfortunately my range only goes to 350 yards, so I would need to find a way to train longer distances at 6x. Maybe just reduced targets for now.

I went out this morning to hunt a place that is wide open for this country (SE OK) and I grabbed the 3-9 scoped carbine. I was surprised I never turned it over 5x and I hated how big it was. I came home and decided to either sell it or build a rifle it would be more at home on. I wound up posting it for sale so we shall see and I stuck my EOTech back on that carbine.

You can know that while I was walking up and down hills I was thinking about this thread and there’s a lot to be said about the choice of a 6oz 2.5x scope.

I have an Accupower that is 1-4 with illuminated green with the duplex and it works well.

User Tag List