Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Leupold FX-II Ultralight 2.5x20mm and the Defensive Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    This is interesting to me because my current go-to rifle had an NXS 2.5-10x32 with a piggy back MRDS. It's a great rifle setup and allows me to be competitive from 5-600 yards down to 2MOA targets.

I always assumed that it was a compromise in terms of performance and recently put together a 12.5" with 1-6.5 LPVO. I don't have much time on it, but it feels like I'm giving up the rapid transition capability (for close to long range) that I grew to love with the 10x/MRDS combo.

So now that I'm considering putting an offset MRDS on my 12.5 with a LPVO... What's the point of having an LPVO? I'd rather have an optic designed primarily for use in the 2-3x range, maybe even with the ability to crank up to 6-10x.
    Yes, exactly how I look at it too. With all of the offset mounts now available (I especially like the Arisaka), having 1x LPVO and offset/piggyback RDS on the same rifle would be IMO redundant.

Even with my astigmatism, I can certainly maintain adequate precision for A-zone hits out to 50 yards with a RDS/MRDS. Teaming it with a fixed-power scope has appeal to me as switching between the two would seem faster than having to reach up and fiddle with a mag lever. I've learned with using 45-degree offset BUIS that switching between the two is mighty quick, must be even faster/easier with a 30-degree mount that requires less roll.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    This IMO is a real strength of the 2.5x20mm - I find that between the 2.2x magnification (39.5' FOV @ 100 yards) and the forgiving eye box, with two eyes open from low-ready I don't feel a great difference in target acquisition speed down to maybe 10 yards. Even viewing a target 10 feet away, the view through the scope remains more than sharp enough to place the reticle on where it needs to go.

I remain 100% convinced this is a solid 10 - 300 yard optic using a MPBR zero. Inside 30 feet is still very doable, and the optics are sharp enough for use well beyond 300 yards. The learning curve for me are the hold overs beyond 300 yards, which is arguably well beyond "self defense" distances anyway.
    I may be splitting too many hairs here, but just for the sake of conversation:

Static me + static target = no issues with speed through fixed 3.5X at 7yds
    In-line moving me + static target = no issues with speed through fixed 3.5X at 7yds
    Static me + transitions across multiple static targets = no issues with speed through fixed 3.5X at 7yds

Off-line moving me (diagonally, figure 8, etc) inside 25yds operating at MAX speed is where things start to break down. It comes down to a 100% repeatable cheekweld that all magnified optics require. With your body in perfect position, you can still pull it off, but turning your body and moving at the same time creates just enough flex (at lest for me) that the cheekweld breaks down just enough that I have to slow down a bit to ensure hits (talking Upper "A" zone 100% confirmed hits) at MAX speed. So, now that we've defined accuracy, how much speed am I giving up? 0.1-0.2 sec on something like a 7yd F2S. For me with the RMR that's a high 0.6's, low 0.7's endeavor with something like a .35 reaction, a .12 body split, and a .20 head transition (upper "A").

Is it a huge deal? Probably not huge, but I'll say this too: working through a dark house, improvised positions, lighting, etc, I am just more CONFIDENT in the RMR for that job than a fixed or even an LPVO on 1X. For me, the RDS is really more about positional forgiveness than 1X magnification.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

It strikes me that you've found a cheap acog alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    It strikes me that you've found a cheap acog alternative.
    Truth be told, I don't believe the 2.5x20mm is a viable alternative to an Acog for someone who really wants one. But at least I can adjust the diopter and make the reticle sharp, something I truly wish could be done with an Acog. If the the 2.5x20mm reticle even had some basic BDC hash marks it would be nice.

Fixed power scopes are out of style and the lack of models currently available makes that painfully evident.

Truth be told, I don't believe the 2.5x20mm is a viable alternative to an Acog for someone who really wants one. But at least I can adjust the diopter and make the reticle sharp, something I truly wish could be done with an Acog. If the the 2.5x20mm reticle even had some basic BDC hash marks it would be nice.

Fixed power scopes are out of style and the lack of models currently available makes that painfully evident.
    Unfortunately so, right along with gloss finishes. That said, I'm in the market for a new scope for my '06 and a 3X Gloss Leupold would be top of my list if I could find one at a decent price.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Redacted, I was wrong about this scope being discontinued.

That's how the reticle in my Steiner P4xi is set up, basically:

I've become a big fan of it.

Something as simple as this would be IMO quite useful;

With the 2.5x20mm scope, hash marks from top to bottom (ranges for the Speer 75 GD load from a 16-inch barrel, 200 yard zero);

- 8 MOA (430 yards)

- 16 MOA (600 yards)

- 24 MOA (725 yards)

^ 32 MOA - top of post (825 yards)

With the FX III 6x42mm, those marks become much more useful;

- 3.5 MOA (300 yards)

- 7 MOA (420 yards)

- 10.5 MOA (480 yards)

^ 14 MOA - top of post (550 yards)

Without the hash marks, visually dividing the space between the center cross hair and the top of the bottom post is not terribly difficult but the smallest error with the 2.5x results in substantial hold-over miscalculation. The hold-over estimation with the 6x scope IMO becomes much more doable as the total drop from center to the top of the bottom post is 78 inches vs. 274 inches (nearly 23 feet) with the 2.5x.

Additionally, 550 yards is about as far as I'd want to take a shot with this rifle anyway.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

I seem to recall Leupold even offered a truly custom reticle service before, I hope that comes back. One of these with a simple reticle with accurate 400 and 500 holdovers would be more than I ever needed on a 5.56 carbine, or even my lightweight bolt gun (a Stevens 200.)
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

The purpose of this thread is to share my honest assessment of this scope in its role as an optic for a civilian defensive rifle. It's obviously a somewhat unique selection for an AR, as it is most commonly used on lever actions, hard-kicking dangerous game rifles, slug guns, etc.
    Is there more than one version of this optic? On the Leupold website it's listed under rimfire scopes.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Is there more than one version of this optic? On the Leupold website it's listed under rimfire scopes.
    Just one, they list the category as Rimfire/Ultralight Rifle Scopes - https://www.leupold.com/scopes

Since there are only two scopes in that entire category, I guess it makes sense to combine them.

Edit to add this link - https://www.chuckhawks.com/leupold_u...ght_2-5x20.htm
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 09-28-2020 at 03:05 PM.

User Tag List