Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The myth of "shot placement - shot placement - shot placement"

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    One of the few constants in the various forums that I've been a member of (including back to the days of the dial-in BBSs) is that when someone in a discussion starts relying on their vast experience to back up their argument ("I've got 9,000 hours in 737s and I can tell you that..."), two things are generally true:

1) They're wrong about what they're arguing; and

2) There's someone lurking who has a lot more experience and may be in a mood to ring their chimes for them.
    3) Someone who's relevant experience is they watched Airplane! on Netflix and put together a Lego bi-plane will also chime in about how wrong they both are.

4) and don't call me Shirley.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Tbone, Suck it up! I know you are a tough guy!
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 09-28-2020 at 04:19 PM.

"One of my co-workers shot a guy in the forehead with 5.56 at <25 yards and I was talking to him in the booth in less than 3 weeks. The bullet went right between the hemispheres."

In some defensive shooting class they showed us a movie. IIRC it was a training video from some police department, reenacting an actual incident where two officers were in a bedroom with a crazed suspect, who shot officer #1, and officer #2 had an epic struggle. At one point the suspect, who I think had already been shot multiple times, has grabbed officer #2 around the waist, thus lifting him up, and pushed him into a corner of the room. Officer #2 points his 38 revolver vertically down into the suspects head, at contact range, and fires a round. You're thinking, 'well, that fights over', but apparently the bullet did the between-the-hemispheres, in-front-of-the-medulla thing, and the suspect shrugs it off. So kind of the epitome of 'shot placement matters'.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Could you elaborate on that?

I'm crossed eye dominant and this sounds counter intuitive to me. Mind you, my rifle experience is very small so I'm working from ignorance here.
    Scout scopes are long eye relief scopes (originally they often used pistol scopes) mounted on the barrel out ahead of the actions vs conventional scopes which are mounted on the action with the eye piece often being at the rear of the action or slightly behind.

Since the scout scope is mounted out where one would hold a pistol at full extension it is much easier see with say a left dominant eye when shouldered on the right shoulder vs a conventionally mounted optic. As with a pistol, a slight head adjustment allows one to see through a forward mounted optic with the opposite eye or two eyes open more easily than with a conventionally mounted optic.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeepingAngel View Post
    So are you a Bissell guy or a Dyson guy?
    Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    Shark, brother. I had a cheap Bissell from Walmart for 10 years but it was so loud it'd wake the dead. I like not having bags -- having the see-through collection canister means I can look and be sure that yes, indeed, I did get the cricket.
    Dysons also have see-through canisters. Helps a lot when you accidentally vacuum up a small earring. On the other hand, you have to empty the canister into something, which spreads dust if you can't do it outdoors. For the bag vac, I'd put a piece of packing tape across the access port to seal it up.

My roomie is with vacuums the way that I am with K-frames. She's bought a lot of them. Before I moved in, I hadn't bought a vacuum cleaner in 25 years; I had her cast-offs.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    "One of my co-workers shot a guy in the forehead with 5.56 at <25 yards and I was talking to him in the booth in less than 3 weeks. The bullet went right between the hemispheres."

In some defensive shooting class they showed us a movie. IIRC it was a training video from some police department, reenacting an actual incident where two officers were in a bedroom with a crazed suspect, who shot officer #1, and officer #2 had an epic struggle. At one point the suspect, who I think had already been shot multiple times, has grabbed officer #2 around the waist, thus lifting him up, and pushed him into a corner of the room. Officer #2 points his 38 revolver vertically down into the suspects head, at contact range, and fires a round. You're thinking, 'well, that fights over', but apparently the bullet did the between-the-hemispheres, in-front-of-the-medulla thing, and the suspect shrugs it off. So kind of the epitome of 'shot placement matters'.
    So.....make sure to not hit absolutely dead center on a head shot? 🤔

See, this is why Glasers are the ultimate stopper. 🤡 No slipping between the hemispheres!

Thanks to PF I know a bullet can slip between eyeball and socket, and now between hemispheres. We could use a "bullets are unpredictable/weird shit happens/no guarantees" sticky thread in the ammunition forum.

And I need to get myself some of that old hyper-expanding .300 H&H Slivertip ammo that was supposedly good for turning deer into "red mist." Sort of a megavarmiting load. And a .300 H&H rifle. Certainly the best combo for the "just hit em somewhere" school of thought.

(Twenty years back I actually carried a G33 with a MagSafe in the pipe. Oh the horror....I'd take .32ACP fmj over .357SIG frangibles every time now.)
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    So.....make sure to not hit absolutely dead center on a head shot? 🤔

See, this is why Glasers are the ultimate stopper. 🤡 No slipping between the hemispheres!

Thanks to PF I know a bullet can slip between eyeball and socket, and now between hemispheres. We could use a "bullets are unpredictable/weird shit happens/no guarantees" sticky thread in the ammunition forum.

And I need to get myself some of that old hyper-expanding .300 H&H Slivertip ammo that was supposedly good for turning deer into "red mist." Sort of a megavarmiting load. And a .300 H&H rifle. Certainly the best combo for the "just hit em somewhere" school of thought.

(Twenty years back I actually carried a G33 with a MagSafe in the pipe. Oh the horror....I'd take .32ACP fmj over .357SIG frangibles every time now.)
    I'll see you and raise you a CZ 75 with a Glaser in the pipe, a round I just found on the floor of the range. (cringe)
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I'll see you and raise you a CZ 75 with a Glaser in the pipe, a round I just found on the floor of the range. (cringe)
    Hmm...were you carrying it in an Uncle Mike's sausage sack at 2 o'clock?

We may need an impartial judge for "most derp" on this one. We both have strong cases....
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Hmm...were you carrying it in an Uncle Mike's sausage sack at 2 o'clock?

We may need an impartial judge for "most derp" on this one. We both have strong cases....
    Nope, a Fobus Paddle holster... when it my carry rotation came around to the CZ.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I guess we’re at the point where it makes sense to plink with $2/round specialty ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List