Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The myth of "shot placement - shot placement - shot placement"

The myth of "shot placement - shot placement - shot placement"

Conventional wisdom abounds in shooter's forums. Everyday, I hear that trite phrase parroted.

"A well-placed .32 ACP is better than 4 - .45 ACP's that are not center-mass, yadda, yadda".

How many really think an adversary(s) is going to present a frontal, stationary, unobstructed target? We're not talking paper punching....caliber matters.

Word. Hitting what you’re aiming at is stupid.

Ya know that if you hit someone anywhere with a .45, it will knock them right over!
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I think, at least here, "with enough horsepower to get into the appropriate gibbly bits" is an unspoken addendum and commonly understood.

That said, for random street crime it's pretty common to have a frontal unobstructed close distance stationary shot early in the encounter when the bad guy is not anticipating resistance and is stuck in the OODA loop and squared up with the victim. Business robberies are more likely to have partial obstructions, but usually not anything that keeps the preferred target zone from being targeted.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Here we go again: Another episode in the Festival of Derp.

Pass the popcorn, please.

Look, it’s been pretty well established that with modern ammunition, any service-grade caliber will do. Pick your poison, get practiced with it and call it good. The “caliber wars” are so 1990s.

But still, any gun is better than none.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

There are two ways to win a fight:

1) Incapacitate your opponent.
    2) Wound your opponent sufficiently that they no longer wish to fight.

Interestingly, a 17-year old in Kenosha recently (and beautifully) illustrated these mechanisms in less than 10 minutes with 3 different test subjects. He immediately incapacitated 2 with torso hits - one dropped within 5 seconds of taking a center mass hit that cleaved his heart and aorta. The third decided not to fight after his arm was left dangling by a little tissue.

So, the ability to make incapacitating hits is very important, but having a weapon that creates demoralizing wounds is helpful for making some opponents rethink their life choices.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

I'll bite.

It matters up until you get up to 9MM in pistol cartridges against human targets then the returns go off a cliff.

I was taught otherwise and had to spend thousands of dollars getting to where other people were shortly after starting. That's why you see it parroted every day.

Site Supporter
    I wish y'all would let this play out.

I have spent the day waiting to shoot a groundhog under my shed who never showed his face, and just now spent 2 minutes chasing a cricket around in my living room with a vacuum cleaner so I didn't make a mess of him but also don't have to listen to him tonight.

I'm bored and you should let the man speak. Let's hash this out.

We need a devil emoji.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Ya know that if you hit someone anywhere with a .45, it will knock them right over!
    Came across a folder of old memes I've made on this very subject!

Name:  JMB 45acp Power.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  76.3 KB

Of course, if this offends anyone, I have a response for that as well!

Name:  45acp ego.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  25.2 KB

For the record, I love .45acp for what it is, as any good American should. I still carry a 9mm though.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    I wish y'all would let this play out.

I have spent the day waiting to shoot a groundhog under my shed who never showed his face, and just now spent 2 minutes chasing a cricket around in my living room with a vacuum cleaner so I didn't make a mess of him but also don't have to listen to him tonight.

I'm bored and you should let the man speak. Let's hash this out.

We need a devil emoji.
    I can see that. On the other hand, what with this pandemic and the goings-on associated with it, my Derp Tolerance Tank is almost topped off as it is.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List