Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The myth of "shot placement - shot placement - shot placement"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    For the love of God, tell me this is for real.

This is the coolest thing I’ve ever seen.
    Oh it's real alright. What a great and simple idea! We used to bomb groundhogs with these overgrown firework things....I like this idea MUCH better. Plus it's another use for an oxy-propane rig.
    Last edited by Welder; 09-27-2020 at 05:54 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    It is, or at least was....

That's what happens when the city and the country collide.

She thinks it's done in March because of the poor little prairie dog babies? LOL, it's done in March because the ground has started to thaw (with this sort of thing you usually need to cover the hole entrances) but it's still before planting season. Farmers aren't going to do this sort of thing once crops are in the ground. They don't have the time and they aren't going to kill crops getting out to the holes.

I'm pretty sure a person could make one of those from a retired scrapping torch for a few bucks. It's literally nothing more than a way of getting the oxyfuel down underground, and then it has an igniter / striker added to it. It's genius!

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    It's always the "bin shootin fur 60 years" dudes.
    Now you've done it, forced me to defend BD.

Pretty sure a lot of 'bin shootin' for 60 years dudes' were, in their younger years, terrors. You know, the ones putting hate on the enemies of our nation, on foot, sans body armor, kevlar helmets, and puss pads in their jump helmets. BD may be one of those dudes, you don't know.

As a 66 year-old guy who just started shooting USPSA, it's kind of hard to relegate yourself to the back of the pack, after years of being a pretty successful shooter in the venues you grew up with.

Earlier today, I got DQ'ed from a match, my third ever, for going depressed ready, almost 'sul' and turning the wrong way, violating the 180. This is something that I've done, and had students do, hundreds of times on various training ranges, the real world is 360. I had no beef, I'd violated the rules of the game, and I've always been able to separate the two. I imagine it will happen again, because

I figure I've got ten more years before I'm sitting on the couch watching instead of competing. I hope when the time comes that someone cuts me some slack. Its hard for an old dog to learn new tricks, even if it's willing.

Now, I'm going to eat Mexican.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    That's what happens when the city and the country collide.
    Yup, especially when her name is Karen. Her flaming prairie dog comment reminded me of the flaming horse scene in the Netflix series Marco Polo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post

Pretty sure a lot of 'bin shootin' for 60 years dudes' were, in their younger years, terrors. You know, the ones putting hate on the enemies of our nation, on foot, sans body armor, kevlar helmets, and puss pads in their jump helmets. BD may be one of those dudes, you don't know.

As a 66 year-old guy who just started shooting USPSA, it's kind of hard to relegate yourself to the back of the pack, after years of being a pretty successful shooter in the venues you grew up with.

Earlier today, I got DQ'ed from a match, my third ever, for going depressed ready, almost 'sul' and turning the wrong way, violating the 180. This is something that I've done, and had students do, hundreds of times on various training ranges, the real world is 360. I had no beef, I'd violated the rules of the game, and I've always been able to separate the two. I imagine it will happen again, because

I figure I've got ten more years before I'm sitting on the couch watching instead of competing. I hope when the time comes that someone cuts me some slack. Its hard for an old dog to learn new tricks, even if it's willing.

Cool story. Not relevant though.

When the number of years spent doing something is used in a qualifying manner, especially in shooting, it's often used as a way to dismiss criticism or advice or to defend bad ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    I’m lusting after a Colt Rail Gun in 9mm right now, and I have no idea why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Because Colt is going bankrupt and soon to be out of business?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Let's all be better.

I think the OP's intent was slightly misunderstood and likewise I understand the backlash. I had to re-read the OP myself.

That being said, many replied with both vitriolic condescension and posturing. From some I expected this; from others I was truly disappointed.

Posts like this (if not trolls) should be seen as an opportunity to discuss, educate, and maybe illuminate. P-F has no shortage of intelligent, articulate, and experienced folks to do so (for now).

If the idea of rehashing legacy concepts or previously-but-not-currently accurate information is too unappealing, it is too easy to simply move on to the next thread and not post. I do this frequently on P-F and yes, I know I didn't always do this. I'm trying - real hard - to be a more productive member of the P-F community.

Based on current and emergent events, reveling in the eating of our own may be a highly detrimental course of action. This type of thread/behavior can and does chase away those in need of education and those who can provide it. I recommended P-F to people as a "professional source of information." I'd be embarrassed if someone I told to come here saw this thread, and not because of the OP.

I'll close by saying this: don't take this personally, anyone. I'm not attacking but I am making what I think are necessary observations of the overall thread's vibe. I'd like to see the entire forum - and all of us - just be better. @LittleLebowski

@Brazos Dan if you want to discuss your original topic, I'm happy to share my thoughts on the subject via direct/private message. No pressure.

*If this was a troll post/thread and I'm completely off base, please disregard. You got me.
    Last edited by Clark Jackson; 09-27-2020 at 08:09 PM. Reason: My proof-reading sucks.
    "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Deleted response after reading post above. Now you will all go to the end of your days not knowing why some folks wear neckties.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post

As a young man, I was lucky to be mentored by some BTDT retired PD and Vietnam vets. Most had 20 years or more seeing real violence in a CONUS context in addition to combat overseas which they readily acknowledged differed from the domestic stuff. Their assessments of violence and fighting, including fighting with guns differed from what the long time shooters /competition shooters (what today would be Fudds/etc). As I gained real world experience/ exposure and exposure to large numbers of students going through force on force training, I found my experiences matched those BTDT mentors and did not match the theoretical Fudd lore.

Not everyone who served overseas saw combat and even those who did saw direct combat with small arms. I first learned to shoot from my dad and uncle who served in WWII as a B-17 Bombadier /Navigator in Europe and as a Machinist mate / AA gun team member on a destroyer. Those experiences had some relevance in terms of fighting vs shooting, effects of stress etc but are still gaps in terms of individual gunfighting. Both were hunters and impressed on me the importance of effective shot placement as part of ethical hunting. The mechanics of killing a deer aren’t much different than the mechanics of killing a man.

Even for those who were the real deal at one time, there is a tendency for people to stagnate. It’s easy to do, even for a one time innovator like Cooper. That is why I respect a Pat Rogers or a Tom Givens for continuing to seek improvement.

A lesser known example. As a trainee in the mid 90s, I had a FLETC instructor who was a 3 CIB (WWII, Korea, Vietnam) vet. He had been a pistol instructor at West Point, retired became a FLETC firearms instructor and then transitioned to teaching terrorism matters when he was physically unable to be on the range all day. It would be easy for a guy like that to stagnate and live in the past. Instead he told my classmates and I about a group called Al-Qaeda and it’s leader a guy named Osama Bin Laden and how we should remember that name because we would hear it again.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    As a young man, I was lucky to be mentored by some BTDT retired PD and Vietnam vets. Most had 20 years or more seeing real violence in a CONUS context in addition to combat overseas which they readily acknowledged differed from the domestic stuff. Their assessments of violence and fighting, including fighting with guns differed from what the long time shooters /competition shooters (what today would be Fudds/etc). As I gained real world experience/ exposure and exposure to large numbers of students going through force on force training, I found my experiences matched those BTDT mentors and did not match the theoretical Fudd lore.

Not everyone who served overseas saw combat and even those who did saw direct combat with small arms. I first learned to shoot from my dad and uncle who served in WWII as a B-17 Bombadier /Navigator in Europe and as a Machinist mate / AA gun team member on a destroyer. Those experiences had some relevance in terms of fighting vs shooting, effects of stress etc but are still gaps in terms of individual gunfighting. Both were hunters and impressed on me the importance of effective shot placement as part of ethical hunting. The mechanics of killing a deer aren’t much different than the mechanics of killing a man.

Even for those who were the real deal at one time, there is a tendency for people to stagnate. It’s easy to do, even for a one time innovator like Cooper. That is why I respect a Pat Rogers or a Tom Givens for continuing to seek improvement.

A lesser known example. As a trainee in the mid 90s, I had a FLETC instructor who was a 3 CIB (WWII, Korea, Vietnam) vet. He had been a pistol instructor at West Point, retired became a FLETC firearms instructor and then transitioned to teaching terrorism matters when he was physically unable to be on the range all day. It would be easy for a guy like that to stagnate and live in the past. Instead he told my classmates and I about a group called Al-Qaeda and it’s leader a guy named Osama Bin Laden and how we should remember that name because we would hear it again.
    Yep, the good instructors recognize things change, and strive to keep up/evolve. I met Jim Cirillo at FLETC and to my way of thinking, he was not a happy camper, because at the time he felt their training had stagnated and they could be doing better.

User Tag List