Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Mis feeds brand new Hellcat. Normal break in?

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post

Because none of those brands have ever had to warranty a gun, right?

It doesn't matter who you buy from or how much you spend, there are no guarantees. There's no statistics, there's no "evidence", all there is is bullshit on the internet. I've seen multi-thousand dollar pistols that couldn't get through a magazine, and I've seen Bersa Thunders digest a few hundred rounds of Uncle Skeeter's Bucket Bullets.

Not sure where you think you are posting,
    No offense, but if you want to go somewhere where people will give you attaboys and make you feel better about your purchase you may be more well served on XDtalk or thehighroad.

Of course there are "no guarantees" but there are tons of accomplished shooters, trainers and industry professionals on this forum with a wealth of information to give on what "works" and what doesn't, and most people here will give it to you straight whether you like it or not.
    This is not about "what I have seen" it is about, what is the standard and expectations from each manufacturer. Nobody is talking about $2500 race guns and special custom editions, we are talking about mass-produced polymer striker fired pistols; in that regard, the manufacturers I listed previously are proven performers.

Don't feel like arguing with you. Protip: I've never owned an XD.

Run along.

Don't personally own one...yet. My buddy's got one and from my understanding--he's never had an issue with it. I enjoy the way the Hellcat shoots and it feels good in my hands, but there's something about it that just makes me think cheap. And for the price that it sells for, I can just as well pick up another Glock or Sig. Maybe it's just a mental hurdle I need to overcome because I've always enjoyed shooting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    Don't feel like arguing with you. Protip: I've never owned an XD.

Run along.
    My bad dude.
    I went back and checked and I actually had thought I was replying to skipper.
    I didn't realize it was a different poster.
    Reading is fundamental and I'm a retard in this case.

To the OP: Welcome to the forum! You have received good advice, already.

This is the 21st Century. Pistols designed during this century should not require “break-in.” This is 2020. Ammo is precious. If you have ruled-shooter error, return this pistol.

Disclaimer: I have some level of personal bias against the current products of Springfield Armory, Inc., which is NOT the same thing as the US government’s Springfield facility, from which the company’s name was derived.

Edited to add: All else being equal, I believe that compact pistols are poor choices for beginning handgunners.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Full disclosure--I have zero experience with XD or hellcat. In fact I've never even handled one at a store.

Reading through the thread, one additional possibility could be flashing on the mag follower. I've seen this a few times in a new pistol.

Also...forgive my paternalistic approach here...for new pistol shooters and especially new gun owners I recommend full size handguns that have duty credentials.

This thread is a good reminder of that. Small handguns are hard to control and require a very experienced hand. The new shooter will have a zillion variables to work through if the pistol doesn't work right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    To the OP: Welcome to the forum! You have received good advice, already.

All else being equal, I believe that compact pistols are poor choices for beginning handgunners.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post

Also...forgive my paternalistic approach here...for new pistol shooters and especially new gun owners I recommend full size handguns that have duty credentials.

This thread is a good reminder of that. Small handguns are hard to control and require a very experienced hand. The new shooter will have a zillion variables to work through if the pistol doesn't work right.
    THIS

Please don’t construe this as a defense for the Hellcat in a “new” shooters hand... I am very well aware that any and all firearms manufacturers will on occasion let lemons through... But all shooters, new and experienced, will appreciate a full-size or service sized pistol over a micro-compact for handling, performance and ease of operation.
    Last edited by Det1397; 09-28-2020 at 08:28 AM.

I was advocating shooting it in - OP has attempted to do that, and it’s still shitting the bed. Time for a trip back to the mothership.

I also agree with the comments that maybe OP would be better suited with a slightly larger, more proven gun like a G26.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Wiht striker guns I have seen a need on a few to break the slide all the way down and clean out the striker channel and get it completely dry. Lube everything up and run some FMJ through it first. My M&P M2.0 5 inch 9mm and Compact 9mm where like this. Mainly on lower pressure ammo though. If your issues do not clear up give SA a call. They have great customer service from what I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by sickeness View Post
    My bad dude.
    I went back and checked and I actually had thought I was replying to skipper.
    I didn't realize it was a different poster.
    Reading is fundamental and I'm a retard in this case.
    Liked for being cool. I would agree that Springfield's line of plastics, in my personal experience, tend to have a lot more examples of being temperamental (although I don't have very much experience with High Points and Taurusii, because I don't want to get any of that on me). I've had a good time shooting my Brazillian-framed Springfield Loaded, but my dad's 9mm Range Officer is insanely picky about 9mm sizing. I had to buy an EGW U die for it. Not a problem, I wanted to get a CZ Shadow 2 OR anyway.

Generally, I default to recommending G-Lock. A shooter might not stick with it forever, but they do very little wrong, they're inexpensive, easy to find holsters for--perfectly vanilla. If someone has a desire to spend a little more money, H&K. Springfield never makes it onto my list. I've actually enjoyed shooting the examples I've shot, but never felt the need to actually buy one, which probably says something. I don't really trust any manufacturer 100%--it's manufacturing, after all--but if a G-Lock or H&K doesn't work right, I raise my eyebrows. If it's a Springfield, I'm less surprised.

User Tag List