Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone excited for any professional fights coming up?

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NGP View Post
    Did they update the Xbox app? I moved from Roku to Xbox a while back and had to cancel my subscription as the app was near unusable on Xbox.
    Yes, the XBOX app was overhauled about a year ago. It's still not as slick as Netflix, and I wish the search function worked better, but you can find what you're looking for once you learn how it's laid out.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I have been watching a lot of Bellator on YouTube. They have a 24 hour streaming event in the next day or so. My only complaint is that some of the fights (...Ok...Ok..., a lot) are really amateurs.

I miss the brutality of the early UFC. Those who never saw some of those matches don't know what they're missing.

Tank Abbott anyone?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Can hardly wait for the post election professional rabble rousers v. professional soul snatchers!

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I miss the brutality of the early UFC. Those who never saw some of those matches don't know what they're missing.

Tank Abbott anyone?
    An image that will NEVER be scrubbed from my brain is that of Tank smiling into the camera while he cheese graters a dude's face on the cage.

Or when he mocked a dude who's limbs went stiff when he knocked him out.

Or when he tried to throw a dude out of the cage.
    Good times.

Oh man. Let me blow the dust off the King of the Cage and Pride videos! LOL I was a major boxing fan too, but MMA stole my allegiance due to the fans truly getting a better entertainment product. If the 2 top dogs were supposed to fight, they fought in the UFC and WHEN they should have. Not like in boxing with all the different promotions, belts, etc.

I go back to the early days as well. I have a VCR tape I made with I believe UFC 1-6 on it in the closet somewhere. (But no VCR anymore.)

I'm definitely not into it like I once was, (or even how I once was with boxing back in the day), but I still enjoy watching the talented practitioners ply their trade...and always enjoy a well fought contest. (I think I paid for one PPV some years back...and that was it for me.)

Back in the 80's we'd go to Radio City Music Hall in Manhattan to watch the big fights with Hagler, Hearns, Duran, and Leonard.

This is true. The fight library is pretty valuable, but for me, I've seen all the fights and any "classic" fight can basically be found on YouTube. My need/want was access to PPV bouts that didn't require me to be a subscriber to something.

On another note, I check out the fighters these days and there are soooooooooo many names that I just can't keep up anymore. It's hard to get invested in these guys like I used to. It's just starting to feel oversaturated for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    UFC Fight Pass is a no-brainer for fight fans, in my opinion. I believe it's $100 / year (I can't check my account from where I am) and includes a staggering fight library as well as live MMA events as part of the package (just not live UFC events - they become available a few months after the fact). My wife got hooked on Invicta FC and I'm presently working my way through PRIDE's glory days. Live events happen multiple times a month at the moment, including pretty much all of the UFC's feeder promotions as well as things like Submission Underground. Pre-COVID, they had live Muay Thai out of Thailand about a once a week if I recall correctly.

They did an interface overhaul about 16 months ago: the thing was an unusable dumpster fire prior to that. When they did their interface overhaul, they added a 24/7 stream of recorded MMA events running non-stop, so if you just want to see some variety of fight, you literally just turn the app on. They have apps for both XBOX and FireTV. Not sure about Roku or AppleTV, but I'd be kind of surprised if it weren't available on those platforms as well.

It's definitely worth checking out. Being able to watch all of Bas Rutten's fights without screwing with torrents or paying for bootleg DVDs is worth the money alone.

Site Supporter

Tank Abbott anyone?
    Bas issued a smack down or two during his tenure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    Bas issued a smack down or two during his tenure.
    Yep. Those old Pride fights were something to watch.

I guess in last night's matches, one clean cut victory for skill backed by raw power...one for sheer athleticism, accuracy and skill.

Either one can get you there...against the right opponent.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Welp, looks like Danaher's guys basically swept the board at their latest event.

My takeaways:
    -Gordon Ryan is a machine and possibly the greatest BJJ athlete to date now. The inverted heel hook he pulled was pretty incredible and the way he controlled position before that was similarly impressive.

-Leglocks (specifically the heel hook) are a path to victory in sport Jiu Jitsu. I'd be interested to see them more in high level MMA. As a defensive tactic I'm not sure that I'd use them. But damn you can wreck someone with them quick.

Case in point: Nicky Ryan submitting Tony Ramos in less than thirty seconds. Granted the rule set was submission only and it wasn't an MMA bout where wrestlers enjoy great success...but some people thought Ramos would just manhandle Ryan and get to his back...because you know...he's a teenager. Ramos once beat Henry Cejudo in a wrestling match. There's little doubt he's a highly skilled grappler.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

User Tag List