Thread: Front Sight Height Calculations.

Site Supporter

Front Sight Height Calculations.

For anyone out there trying to figure out what front sight height they need. Dawson Precision has a Front Sight Calculator on their website. You enter the information and it gives you the required sight height. I was going to change the front sight on my Model 66 F Carry Comp but wasn't having any luck finding a sight with the correct dovetail dimensions. I decided I liked the stock Millett Sight as that Orange stripe really stands out. I found that with pretty much any load, I was hitting 2.5 inches low with the C&S Extreme Duty sight.
    When I got home I used the calculator and determined that I needed a 0.221 front sight height. I filed the factory sight and reblued it. Now my POA/POI are spot on with my carry load of Buffalo Bore Heavy 158gr. JHP .357. Hope this helps.

Name:  Filed Sight.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  101.1 KB
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Dawson's site is easy to use. I just used it to get a new front

Have you chronoed that load? I only ask because I'm currently carrying 158gr xtps@1200 fps from my m66.

I recently painted my front sight as well.

Name:  IMG_20211019_124821.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  22.7 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Dawson's site is easy to use. I just used it to get a new front

Have you chronoed that load? I only ask because I'm currently carrying 158gr xtps@1200 fps from my m66.

I recently painted my front sight as well.

Name:  IMG_20211019_124821.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  22.7 KB
    According to Buffalo Bore's Website. ( These loads are part of their Heavy Outdoorsman Loads).

Item 19A/20 180gr. Hard Cast LFN .357 = 1302 FPS from a 3 inch S&W J Frame. I tested those as an Anti Bear Load in my 66F Comp. Not sure I'd want to try them from a J Frame.

Item 19C/20 158gr. JHP .357 = 1398 FPS from a 3 inch S&W J Frame. I tested those in my 66F Comp as well. I've tuned my sights for these loads.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by MDFA; 11-06-2021 at 01:29 AM.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

User Tag List